Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just got the new Treo 650 (lovin it)... set up all 8 email accounts in VersaMail and after I deleted one of the 8 accounts and tried to create a new account I got this msg:

All accounts are in use.
    Deleted accounts can be re-used after preforming a HotSync.
    Make sure the VersaMail conduit is turened on and set to 'Do Nothing'.

Heres the problem. There IS no VersaMail conduit for Mac OS (I'm running Mac OS 10.3.6) so HotSyncing does NOT allow me to re-use the deleted account. How LAME VersaMail, BAD BAD VersaMail. My days of firebombing software developers are over, but I can't figure out any other positive solutions to the problem. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

-Illbits
    and don't forget the problem with the Versa DB growing in size. I would dump it and go with Snapper. Yes it does cost, but worth it. I have a .mac account and Snapper is the best.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Count me in on this one. I have the same problem. "All accounts are in use" error when i try to add accounts (I have deleted other accounts I have created in the past). I'm on OSX 10.2.8, and have no VersaMail conduit. If someone has the answer, it would be much appreciated.

Shasta
    Does MissingSync help with this problem?
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Does MissingSync help with this problem?
    Since there is no conduit for mac... Missing Sync can not help..I have the Missing Sync...and have not found a solution either...I am looking into snapperfish

-CK (
    Yeah, I wrote Palm about this 2 months ago, asking why they continue to ignore a good size of their market while at the same time using the Mac users money to develop software for Windoze users.

No response.

Then a couple weeks ago, I asked them why people that use Macs and purchase the Treo 650 are punished twice over by not being able to remove those useless applications that they spent so much money on to license and develop (like Real Player & VersaMail) yet have no sync capabilities on the Mac or any desktop equivalent.

No response.

There's 1.5MBs of precious space Mac users will never get to use.

Thanks Palm.
    Archie,

Both Versamail and Real are in Rom. You can't use that sapce, so it's not "lost."

FWIW - I have been syncing a 650 just fine with a ma running 10.2.8. I ditched versamail the 2nd day I had the phone - too many resets and I could never get auto-fetch to work reliably.

Try snappermail - you will not regret it.
    Thanks izzideluxe. how many accounts can you POP/IMAP with Snappermail?
    Shasta (Treo 650)
    Not sure about the # of accounts in snapper - but I know it's a bunch.

Check www.snappermail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    Archie,

Both Versamail and Real are in Rom. You can't use that sapce, so it's not "lost."

FWIW - I have been syncing a 650 just fine with a ma running 10.2.8. I ditched versamail the 2nd day I had the phone - too many resets and I could never get auto-fetch to work reliably.

Try snappermail - you will not regret it.
    I know they are in ROM. Where do you think that ROM image is stored?

It is stored in NAND Flash.

Every time I bring this up, someone posts, "no you are wrong, blah, blah, blah".
    This time I am coming out and saying, "No, YOU are wrong".

Why do people not get this.

*breathes deeply*
    So it goes like this. If RealPlayer and VersaMail were not there, it would mean the ROM image would be smaller. Correct? OK. This in turn leaves more empty space in the rest of the NAND Flash. Knowing this we can then deduce that there is more space for other stuff.

Get it. Got it. Good.

Sorry to pick on you izzideluxe.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I know they are in ROM. Where do you think that ROM image is stored?

It is stored in NAND Flash.

Every time I bring this up, someone posts, "no you are wrong, blah, blah, blah".
    This time I am coming out and saying, "No, YOU are wrong".

Why do people not get this.

*breathes deeply*
    So it goes like this. If RealPlayer and VersaMail were not there, it would mean the ROM image would be smaller. Correct? OK. This in turn leaves more empty space in the rest of the NAND Flash. Knowing this we can then deduce that there is more space for other stuff.

Get it. Got it. Good.

Sorry to pick on you izzideluxe.
    AMEN

-CK
    OK Archie and CK - school me.

I can't delete Realplayer or Versa using the Palm OS, since they are in ROM.

If I could/did (likely with Filez or something like it), what could I do with the "new space" in ROM? It's not like I can move programs there - or can I?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    OK Archie and CK - school me.

I can't delete Realplayer or Versa using the Palm OS, since they are in ROM.

If I could/did (likely with Filez or something like it), what could I do with the "new space" in ROM? It's not like I can move programs there - or can I?

Thanks
    If the programs were not orginally there and were options to install rather then built in FLASH, the space would be avialble to the user to do what they wanted with it. There is a program called JackFlash that has done this in the past for the Treo300 and you could create your own ROM image(even after a hard reset) that would include as many or little applications(and languages libs) you wanted, freeing up the space left over. However, palmOne has not released information for programmers to do this on the 650 or T5.....and according to JackFlash developers, palmOne never plans on it. I recommend an email and letter to palmOne to ask for this support becasue this would help in the current memory issue we have currently on the 650.

Does that help..?

-CK
    izzideluxe,

I am going to look at SapperMail... its cost some cash, but I have heard good things about.

-CK
    Thanks CK - it helps me and likely others understand what can or should be possible, but does not actually reflect what is possible now.

As I understand it, a 650 user cannot use ROM to store working programs. I'd love to delete Versa and Real from ROM and use that space for Snapper and Pocketunes.

Maybe someday soon there will be updated tools that let us do stuff like this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckonkel
    There is a program called JackFlash that has done this in the past for the Treo300 and you could create your own ROM image
    Technically, you probably don't even need JackFlash.

If the Treo has a 64MB storage heap (at least one of which is a 32MB NAND flash chip, the other, possibly a regular 32MB chip - no one seems to know for sure), it uses part of it for the dynamic heap (maybe RAM), part for the storage heap cache, part for feature memory and part for storing parts of the OS that need to be accessible at all times.

If one of those chunks get shrunk, that automatically makes more room for the other chunks. Since the ROM is stored in NAND flash and so is stuff like database records when not in use... with a smaller ROM image comes a larger storage heap.

There, thats about as clear as I can make it.
  17.    #17  
    Well my friends, I broke down and synced the 650 with a Windows machine. That allows me to re-create the email accounts I could not, but now as someone else in this thread mentioned auto recieve does not function at all. Pain in the @$$ because I have to retrieve each account manually, one by one. With Snapper mail n my 600 I can fetch every account at once.
    I'm sorry you had to go the Windoze route. I'll look into Snapper. I hope to avoid the PC if I can -- or hold out as long as I can.
    Shasta (Treo 650)
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    VersaMail's got another problem for Mac users, at least the ones using .Mac: it doesn't send mail.

Although I was surprised to see ".Mac" listed as an option for mail accounts listed in VersaMail's pull-down menu -- it defaults to IMAP no matter what. I prefer to do my mail as POP. It's faster downloading, and I have other workarounds that make it the best of all worlds for me. But with the default VersaMail setup, you're "forced" to go IMAP. Okay, so I went to "Other" and manually setup my .Mac account as POP. I was able to receive mail but not send. So I changed the SMTP server to that of Sprint's, and guess what, it still didn't work.

Coupled with the inability to just HOLD DOWN THE MAIL BUTTON to check mail, this VersaMail was really a letdown. (Keep in mind, that shortcut worked fine on the Treo 600's mail app.)

So anyway, I installed SnapperMail, entered my .Mac info, and it works fine. I'm not going to get too upset that VersaMail is in NAND flash. Life's too short to get upset about that. I have plenty of room left on my Treo 650, and a 1 GB SD card as well. The RealPlayer app doesn't bother me either, works pretty well actually.

My only complaint with SnapperMail currently is that it's a bit pricey. But whaddya gonna do?
    Oh, to have iTunes available for Palm OS.

Better yet, Treo 650 running OSX.

Ok, until hell freazes, I'm getting Snapper.
    Shasta (Treo 650)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast