Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    First of all let me say that my decision in making the $600 purchase (got the free BT headset from p1) was very heavily influenced by this great forum here. Thanks to everyone who shared their initial experiences.

    I had a Palm IIIix (Palm.NET version) years back, stopped using it. Then I had a PocketPC, hated that, stopped using it. Now that I have the Treo 650, I can see what everyone is excited about.

    1 - I get a phone, an mp3 player, a decent camera, a document viewer/mobile HD, a thousand other possible uses
    2 - I haven't really had ANY problems with it. I have installed a few games already and some messaging software (Sprint Business Connection)

    About Business Connection: I used a hosted Exchange server. (if you want info on it, I pay $30/month for full Exchange for 3 users, I'll refer you if you'd like). Unfortunately, neither VersaMail nor Sprint Business Connection supports full navigation of Exchange folders. So I'll probably have to go to POP instead of IMAP.

    It would be AWESOME if Sprint or PalmOne came up with an update that would support folder navigation! In the meantime, I will also consider goodLink. My Exchange hosting provider offers it as an upgrade, $30/month/user.

    Anyone else out there doing anything interesting with their Treo 650 and Exchange?
  2. puyi's Avatar
    Posts
    296 Posts
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    #2  
    I sent you a pm, but please advise which Hosted Exchange Service you use. I posted a request for reviews in separate thread(s) but no response. I take you like you service. Please give me your thoughts regarding uptime, Outlook Web Access, Shared Calendars and Shared Contacts.

    TIA
  3.    #3  
    i sent you a PM
  4. #4  
    I am en ex vera user (now snapper). But I seem to remember being able to see ALL my e-mail folders in Versa via IMAP on my exchange server. It will get a folder list for you, then you have to tick which folders you want to synchronize. Something like that. Sorry it's not more clear, it was a while ago.
  5. #5  
    It's not Exchange, but Chatter works with FastMail (www.fastmail.us)
  6. #6  
    Check to see if your hosted exchange provider supports GoodLink.

    http://www.good.com/

    We use it at work. I love it. Calendaring, contacts, email, all wirelessly... no sync'ing, no NOTHING.

    AND it lets you "subscribe" to sub folders in your tree, so you can have it show you new mail delivered there. By default, it only checks the inbox, which is REALLY nice because you can send high-traffic garbage to folders and it won't pollute your Treo... but if you have a specific folder you need to check, you can work that to...


    And before someone accuses me of this (Because I've posted about Good before), I DO NOT work for Good. My company DOES sell and use GoodLink, and I personally ___LOVE___ it.
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  7. ahalvor's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #7  
    I love it too...except that it uses it's own contactDB so you can't add birthdays or picture ID.

    andy
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor
    I love it too...except that it uses it's own contactDB so you can't add birthdays or picture ID.
    andy
    And I personally can live without both of those features.

    Then again, I didn't use _ANY_ program on my T600 other than GoodLink and a few games because I kept having to hard-reset the 600 and both the games and GoodLink can be either run (games) or installed (goodlink) from the SD card.

    (yes, I know there are backup programs, but 9 times out of 10, if I'm doing a hard reset, I probably DON'T WANT to restore settings because SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE has been screwed up. Call me silly. I don't care.)
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh
    Check to see if your hosted exchange provider supports GoodLink.

    http://www.good.com/

    We use it at work. I love it. Calendaring, contacts, email, all wirelessly... no sync'ing, no NOTHING.

    AND it lets you "subscribe" to sub folders in your tree, so you can have it show you new mail delivered there. By default, it only checks the inbox, which is REALLY nice because you can send high-traffic garbage to folders and it won't pollute your Treo... but if you have a specific folder you need to check, you can work that to...


    And before someone accuses me of this (Because I've posted about Good before), I DO NOT work for Good. My company DOES sell and use GoodLink, and I personally ___LOVE___ it.

    My company is thinking about getting goodlink. I have a few questions about it though. There will be Sprint and T-Mobile users using the service.

    1.Can you send and recieve e-mails while on the phone?
    2.Will e-mails be pushed instantly?
    3.Can I still make calls from my treo contacts if I choose too.

    Thanks in advance, Larry
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by larryj357
    My company is thinking about getting goodlink. I have a few questions about it though. There will be Sprint and T-Mobile users using the service.

    1.Can you send and recieve e-mails while on the phone?
    2.Will e-mails be pushed instantly?
    3.Can I still make calls from my treo contacts if I choose too.

    Thanks in advance, Larry
    1) Send yes, receive no. The sent mail will be queued until you hang up at which point it transmits.
    2) As long as you aren't on the phone, yes it is pretty derned instant. Most times, actually receive the email about half-an-instant BEFORE outlook 2003 does...
    3) From your existing treo contacts? no. you need to migrate them to exchange contacts BEFORE installing GoodLink. From GoodLink/Exchange contacts, YES, Absolutely!


    If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post or PM them. I've been using/supporting/marketing GoodLink solutions for about a year now.

    Chavous
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  11. #11  
    I'm a little late to the party, but does Good use the default Palm apps or do they have yet another implementation? I'm quite happy with the Palm Calendar, I just want wireless synching.
  12. #12  
    GoodLink uses its own KICK *** calendaring feature. If you are "happy" with Palm's built-in calendar but you really like outlook's calendar, you'll REALLY REALLY like GoodLink's.
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  13. #13  
    Yeah, but will my IT group like the ~$330 annual license to use it...

    Anyone know what their entry price is and how many seats that provides you?
  14. #14  
    5 seats, so the entry price is $1650. There is no "server license" to buy. The only "catch" is you have to install it on a separate server... it can't be on the exchange server.

    (okay, well, it CAN be, but it is an absolute NIGHTMARE to get running. It crashes the exchange server a lot if it is on the same box. I've done it successfully but I don't recommend it and GOOD WON'T SUPPORT IT AT ALL!)
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  15. #15  
    Bizarre.

    I swear I just don't understand why doing anything with Exchange has to be so bloody complicated. In our office, we've managed to replace *every* service from LDAP to NNTP to Jabber to email to file sharing to about 15 more with Linux-based solutions that are rock solid. In five years we've never lost one of those services unless it was a hardware failure. The one exception to both Linux and reliability is Exchange, which we use *solely* for calendaring. That system has to be rebooted at least twice a week. We suffer through this because we've just never been able to find another client that handles calendaring as well as Outlook. *sigh*

    Thanks for the info, Chavous.
  16. #16  
    Any time...

    and I have _ZERO_ problems with my exchange server... we reboot it like... once a... hmmm... I'm not even sure.

    Only problem we've ever had was a bad stick of ram... perhaps that should be present tense, because I still haven't replaced it... it only rears its head about once a month, and just reboots the server ONCE.... :-p

    (edited afterwards to add...)
    Same can be said for my goodlink server, btw. And that server is my b@#$% server... its the one I load programs on to test and mess with... and I've had _ZERO_ problems with it, either.
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh
    5 seats, so the entry price is $1650. There is no "server license" to buy. The only "catch" is you have to install it on a separate server... it can't be on the exchange server.

    (okay, well, it CAN be, but it is an absolute NIGHTMARE to get running. It crashes the exchange server a lot if it is on the same box. I've done it successfully but I don't recommend it and GOOD WON'T SUPPORT IT AT ALL!)
    I've been running it on our Exchange Server 2003 SP1 for about 20 days now.

    I followed the instructions pretty much to the "T", ignored the warnings about running it onbox. There's no reason it won't run perfectly fine onbox, just use a service account and setup your MAPI profile properly.

    -jd
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by belanger
    Bizarre.

    I swear I just don't understand why doing anything with Exchange has to be so bloody complicated. In our office, we've managed to replace *every* service from LDAP to NNTP to Jabber to email to file sharing to about 15 more with Linux-based solutions that are rock solid. In five years we've never lost one of those services unless it was a hardware failure. The one exception to both Linux and reliability is Exchange, which we use *solely* for calendaring. That system has to be rebooted at least twice a week. We suffer through this because we've just never been able to find another client that handles calendaring as well as Outlook. *sigh*

    Thanks for the info, Chavous.
    I'd say you have deeper issues.

    I'm no Microsoft apologist, but clearly myself and tens of thousands of other people run Exchange very happily. Things have gotten better since the 5.x days.

    Exchange 2000 since about SP1 has been a happy place.

    -jd
  19. #19  
    OKay, yes you can run it "on box" but if your information store should stop for a moment, or if you try to stop the IS service, GoodLink will start using 100% of the CPU... and it isn't an easy process to kill. Now, they MAY have fixed that in the most recent release... I doubt it, though, because they didn't consider it a bug.

    And I found this out from EXPERIENCE, because I had NO OTHER CHOICE at one location.

    While I still don't recommend it, the trick is to make the GoodLink Server service dependent on the MS Exchange IS service. That way, if one goes down, they both go down... watch out, though... if you are TRYING to stop the IS service, you then have to kill the Good Watchdog first... I kept wondering why my info store on that machine kept magically restarting even though I've stopped it... ;-)
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

    Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
  20. #20  
    To each his own, doogles. I'm sure for every one of those people drowning under instability and security problems, there's one who has it licked. We're happy with our solution as I'm sure you are.

    Again, thanks for the info, BOFH. If we decide to go the GoodLink route, I may ping you. Having a second machine to run such a simple service for such a light user load seems just stupid.


    -MB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions