Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There is an overclocking utility, PXA Clocker, available at
    http://www.hexview.com/pxa/index.html

I just installed it and have my Treo running at 468MHz. Jayzee has posted a thread at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=42662
    (meant for treo 650 forum). Mine will only clock up to 468Mhz, but others are running as high as 546MHz! The normal speed is 312MHz. Haven't tested the program thoroughly, but it seems to work.

Nathan
    Has this seemed to get rid of some of the delays when changing apps? like from calendar to phone?
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    Has this seemed to get rid of some of the delays when changing apps? like from calendar to phone?
    I don't notice any difference in speed switching from calendar to phone or email to phone running at 468MHz. The 1 second delay is still there.
    I think the app changing really pops with this. The only problem I found was that express locks up the phone. This was consistent on my wife's and my 650
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    There is an overclocking utility, PXA Clocker, available at
    http://www.hexview.com/pxa/index.html

I just installed it and have my Treo running at 468MHz. Jayzee has posted a thread at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=42662
    (meant for treo 650 forum). Mine will only clock up to 468Mhz, but others are running as high as 546MHz! The normal speed is 312MHz. Haven't tested the program thoroughly, but it seems to work.

Nathan

Once you play with it some more, it would be interesting to know what the "safe limit" settings would be.

Do you notice a big difference in performance?
    I noticed a big difference with app switching. I use quick switch and all of the apps are loaded before I take my finger off the button with the exception of the phone app. There is still a delay but not as long as without the oc software.

Oh I would becareful of 546mhz it locked up the treo yesterday and it was a mess to get it back. It seems to run safely at 507mhz I haven't had a problem in over a day at that setting.
    You could also cause overheating. I would do this with caution.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Once you play with it some more, it would be interesting to know what the "safe limit" settings would be.
    Every treo will have a different "safe limit". During the fabrication of the processors, there are slight variations that occur in a production line. The semiconductor plant has quality limits that the processors must pass. Some are a little better than others. Obviously mine is not as good as some of the others as I can only clock mine up to 468MHz. Anything higher and my Treo just locks up.

I usually set my safe limits for overclocking by clocking just 1 or 2 steps below where the unit appears to run stable. Basically a trial and error approach.

Nate
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    uh yeah. i dont think ill be messing with this one.
    I found that after spraying 20cc of WD-40 into the hotsync port you could go past the safe limit. You can also solve the over heat problem by adding a few drops of ice water into your SD slot.

If you are going to kill this $600 device, you might as well do it quickly and put it out of its misery.
    while this sounds like a good idea.... especially if there are any apps that run siginifantly better when clocked faster, it might drain your battery quicker...

any there any apps the 650 can't run with it's standard speed?
    it also has settings to slow down clock to save battery life. all changes can be made globally or app by app.
  13.    #13  
    The negative points noted by others are valid. Any time you overclock you run the risk of hardware failure and data loss/corruption. That being said, I've overclocked nearly every device I've owned including several generations of computer video cards, memory, cpu's and palms, handspring visors, ipaqs and I have yet to burn out a device; however, I have lost data before ;-). If you research overclocking on the the internet I think you'll find very few instances where a device was actually ruined by overclocking. Most likely the worst problem you'll encounter is having to perform a hard reset on your device in a case where necessary startup data is corrupted which keeps the device from starting.

Battery life will most certainly be negatively affected with max overclocking, but as stated by dutchtrumpet, you can strategically set clock speeds to either save battery life or boost performance for specific applications. Personally I won't overclock unless I can see some real benefit in time savings. So far I see minimal improvement in the testing I've done. I was really hoping to see big improvement in web page rendering, but didn't notice a significant difference. I'll perform some measurements when I have some time.

Nate
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Does overclocking improve bitrate throughput when playing avi files (e.g., with mmplayer)?
    how can i delete this from my treo?
    it says cannot be deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zizo1972
    it says cannot be deleted
    hmm...i used zlauncher to delete on several occasions with no problem.

try a soft reset then delete.

if no good try a warm reset then delete...

check your manual for instructions if you're unfamiliar

good luck
    I tried with powerrun, no use!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by zizo1972
    I tried with powerrun, no use!
    Just use the normal application delete feature and select "PXA clocker" for deletion. You'll get the message that it can't be deleted; however the program is deleted. If you go back into the application delete area, you should only see a "PXA Temp" file of 3kb. Soft reset the phone and the temp file should be gone. These are the exact steps I used and the application is removed.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Nate has made some very accurate statements and useful warnings here.

Overclocking has lots of negative effects:
    • reduced battery life
    • increased heat
    • reduced Treo650 life
    • increased probability of software errors
    • probably voids your warranty

Because of manufacturing variations there will be a distribution of processors capable of operating at different speeds. Intel is incentivized by the almighty $ to ship as many processors as possible. So they're going to set the target frequency where they can maximize units shipped. That means there will be processors capable of running faster than 312MHz, and some significantly faster.

When a microprocessor is manufactured it is tested to ensure it performs all operations at a specified clock period, i.e. frequency. So basically Intel should be guaranteeing PalmOne that all its processors will function at 312MHz. Now lots of test cases will be used to guarantee 312MHz. It only takes one to fail and Intel has to throw out that processor.

So if you start running your Treo faster than the spec 312MHz you don't have all the test cases to guarantee your Treo is functioning correctly.

Just because it doesn't lock up doesn't mean it's working correctly.

It's a lot easier to boot a PC than it is to calculate space shuttle trajectories. An example: typically add, subtract (and multiply) operations are much simpler for a processor than divide and square-root operations. Your overclocked Treo might do just fine playing Klondike, but when you run formula totals in your Docs2Go spreadsheet with lots of division you might get the wrong answer!

Finally, semiconductor equipment does wear out over time. And overclocking (and its associated thermal increase) will expedite that process. But my guess is that anyone reading this will probably have a Treo7xx by the time their 650 would die.

And, yes... I do do this for a living.

ERic
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast