Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Most of what Eric said is correct the kicker is I will probably go through 3-4 650's in the next year if the 600 was any indication. So overclocking shortening the life of the processor is not a concern. Overclocking voiding the warranty is more than likely never going to happen unless you tell them you overclocked it.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by plaut
    Does overclocking improve bitrate throughput when playing avi files (e.g., with mmplayer)?
    Yes, it improves the playback performance greatly. You can see this by running the "benchmark" or "statistics" option in MMPlayer with the unit overclocked. I'm getting 49.4 FPS with a 320x176 movie running at 468MHz.
    you can underclock too which although makes it run really slow is fun to play with. Ryn it down to 78 and see how slow the apps are. Makes you appreciate the speed it has when you take it back to normal. Might save some battery though.http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ilies/wink.gif
    As a new owner of the 650, I am a bit disappointed in the "lag" time on some app switches - my girlfriend and I are running most of the same apps and her Zire 72 (same processor) is noticably faster on many of them (Little Palm Pet for example).

So I'm thinking of overclocking this thing - I have Lock/Line in case I screw it up. That said, I'd love it if those of you who are using this app to overclock your device would be so kind as to share your settings and/or to help a complete "overclocking newbie" with some simple guidelines and tips. I've never used an overclocking app like this, so tread lightly please.
    I'll add my voice to the cautions already posted. I personally would not do it unless I had a very serious need for increased speed in a particular piece of software (and I can't imagine what that would be since the 650's normal clock frequency is pretty high compared to most Palm devices).
    does this overclocking help with the lag in dialing or when buttons are pressed that I have heard about?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Would underclocking when reading books help save battery life?
    That would be great if it does.
    If you can underclock when playing mp3's, that might be
    even more useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    Yes, it improves the playback performance greatly. You can see this by running the "benchmark" or "statistics" option in MMPlayer with the unit overclocked. I'm getting 49.4 FPS with a 320x176 movie running at 468MHz.
    Good to know.
    Has anyone tried overclocking then running crimsonfires gba?

Any better?
    Anyone know if this works on the 600?
    No PXA doesn't work on the 600, but I think lightspeed beta app works on the 600.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Indicator
    As a new owner of the 650, I am a bit disappointed in the "lag" time on some app switches - my girlfriend and I are running most of the same apps and her Zire 72 (same processor) is noticably faster on many of them (Little Palm Pet for example).
    I have my doubts that overclocking will make a big difference in these lags. Most of the lag during application startup or switching seems to be caused by the new memory architechture. The OS is constantly copying things back and forth between RAM and the non-volatile ROM. I dn't know how the clock speed of the ROM is related to the processor speed (if at all), but it's going to remain dramatically slower than the processor no matter what.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels
    I found that after spraying 20cc of WD-40 into the hotsync port you could go past the safe limit. You can also solve the over heat problem by adding a few drops of ice water into your SD slot.

If you are going to kill this $600 device, you might as well do it quickly and put it out of its misery.
    Be careful, there are people in this forum who will follow your directions! And then claim insurance.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I have my doubts that overclocking will make a big difference in these lags. Most of the lag during application startup or switching seems to be caused by the new memory architechture. The OS is constantly copying things back and forth between RAM and the non-volatile ROM. I dn't know how the clock speed of the ROM is related to the processor speed (if at all), but it's going to remain dramatically slower than the processor no matter what.
    I have been running PXA at 507mhz for over a month and there is a difference in starting and switching apps. It is noticeable to me, but the phone app is still slow to open just not as slow.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I think the best part of the program is you can choose to only overclock for certain apps. My stock treo COULD NOT run video encoded at 400kbps @ 30 fps. Now its running 1000 kbps @ 30 fps. I am using Kinoma Player 3 Ex.

Like everything in life, use in moderation

org
    Hey, this program is great. I'm conservative, so I went low and only upped the clock on the programs I like to access quickly. Pretty cool. I only went up to 429 on most of them. I'll leave it for a while and see how it goes. Already, it seems the phone opens just about a second faster. Works for me. Now ... for the voice dial feature. Got to register it first though to test that. all in all... I like it.

Wonder what the PXA Clocker pro version does......
    Any more updates? I would be eager to hear of more user experiences after more time experimenting with this overclocking tool...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    whats the normal FPS?
    It isn't 100% consitent when it comes to overclocking some apps and having the phone power off from being idle while in a overclocked app.

With a system default of 468 everything seems fine, I open up camcorder or camera in the live/viewfinder mode like you're ready to hit the record button, everything is fine, allow it to turn off from being idle, when I turn it back on it is still in the camera app but the screen is really funky, like two or three ghost images all in almost all pink and purple colors, and one of the ghost images is sliding to the left and wrapping around looping constantly. Exit camera and go back in and it's fine.

I like lowering mobipocket way way down. It's such an obvious thing to do. The program spends 99% of its' time just sitting still while I read.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    anyone else had success with prolonged use of this app?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast