Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Every proxy server I have tried from proxy4free.com have been slower or the same than the normal set up. Someone give me a fast proxy address that you are you using. I have my cache at 5 Mb. I only have 8 available in RAM. Any tips for speedy web surfing?

Thanks!
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    The following proxy server flies:
    216.148.244.69 port 80

I get 132kbit on http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed using my treo 650 on SprintPCS. I suppose the proxy will slow down if many people start using it.

Nate
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I get 109kbit/sec without the proxy and 59 with it. I don't get it.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    did you clear the cache between tests?
    109 w/proxy
    83 w/out
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48
    There are 2 different kinds of proxies...

There are proxies that route your traffic. These types of proxies help companies manage access and bandwidth use (they cache pages, restrict content, allow access to intranet access). All your traffic appears to come from the proxy, instead of your actual IP address.

Then there are accelerating proxies. These proxies read pages and cut down graphics, formatting and content to fit on smaller screens.

However, in both cases, proxies will reduce your overall throughput. The web page you request is sent to the proxy first and then sent to you. 2 "hops" instead of having the web page send data directly to you.

Bandwidth tests are deceiving. You end up testing the speed of the proxy and not the speed of your device.

Using an accelerating proxy, things can be made to appear to download faster by reducing the volume of data you are downloading (a typical web page might be 750kb... proxied page can cut it down to 100kb); however, you are not actually getting data any faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    There are 2 different kinds of proxies...

There are proxies that route your traffic. These types of proxies help companies manage access and bandwidth use (they cache pages, restrict content, allow access to intranet access). All your traffic appears to come from the proxy, instead of your actual IP address.

Then there are accelerating proxies. These proxies read pages and cut down graphics, formatting and content to fit on smaller screens.

However, in both cases, proxies will reduce your overall throughput. The web page you request is sent to the proxy first and then sent to you. 2 "hops" instead of having the web page send data directly to you.

Bandwidth tests are deceiving. You end up testing the speed of the proxy and not the speed of your device.

Using an accelerating proxy, things can be made to appear to download faster by reducing the volume of data you are downloading (a typical web page might be 750kb... proxied page can cut it down to 100kb); however, you are not actually getting data any faster.
    What you forget is that blazer uses the Sprint proxy by default, even though no proxy is specified in Blazer. In some cases the Sprint proxy is very slow. There are days when it's so bad I cannot even use Blazer. In my case often an alternative proxy is faster. I switch back and forth depending on which is performing better or if I need SSL (SSL doesn't work on most of the free proxy servers).

Today I was getting 109kbit without proxy and 132kbit with proxy.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    What you forget is that blazer uses the Sprint proxy by default, even though no proxy is specified in Blazer.
    Interesting... I didn't know that. Will the PalmOne proxy work?

webpro.palm.com:8827
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Interesting... I didn't know that. Will the PalmOne proxy work?

webpro.palm.com:8827
    it doesn't
    To see the default proxy servers used by Blazer type
    ##data#
    in the phone dial pad screen (got this from a Shadowmite post). Don't change the defaults in this section or vision services won't work.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Ok I think I got it. I'll use the alternate proxy when I notice sprint is running slow.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Using the same test on Sprint's proxy (1MB cache, cleared each time, 5 tests, throw out high and low):
    114 kbits/s, 1.462 s latency
    119 kbits/s, 1.436
    108 kbits/s, 1.415

with 216.148.244.69
    117 kbit/s, 1.679 s
    115, 2.423
    104, 1.584

Both speeds seem similar, but latency increases. I'm in PA so if the proxy is in CA, that may explain the increase in latency.