Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. seh
    Knoppi:

I'm just giving you a good natured hard time now, but if a software product removes all the functionality of the treo, it does not "work".

Anyway, I can be patient and agree that I would prefer a stable product than an unstable product. The prospect of a working BES is one of the things that keeps me up at night.
    As a long time lurker, my company recently switched from Verizon T600 to Cingular T650's. As part of that change, we also got several of us (20+) on Goodlink.

I do have to say, that once you are used to using Goods applications over the native Palm ones, the software is robust and relaible (can't always say that for the Cingular signal tho).

After a solid month of use in the US and Canada, Good has been flawless and fast. The only negatives I can state for Good at this point (money aside) is that the inability to email attachments and the sheer size of the program in RAM is about the only 2 downsides. The calendar and scheduling is great, email is fast (albeit some GUI quirks), but overall, for an enterprise, Good has been trememdous for us.

BES I am sure is fine, but has (IMO) has nothing on Good's implementation without crippling the aspect of having a Palm too.

MedMan
    NJ
    Nothing against Good, but I am sick of hearing about it every time blackberry is mentioned. MANY users require blackberry support either because it is already deployed at their work, or they use Lotus Notes, which Good has thus far refused to support. I'm sure Good is a good product <grin>, but it does NOT need to be mentioned every time the BBC client is discussed. Anyone on these boards with one good eye and half a bit of wit can find out all about Good.

Please try to stay on the topic at hand.

Thanks,
    Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Nothing against Good, but I am sick of hearing about it every time blackberry is mentioned. MANY users require blackberry support either because it is already deployed at their work, or they use Lotus Notes, which Good has thus far refused to support. I'm sure Good is a good product <grin>, but it does NOT need to be mentioned every time the BBC client is discussed. Anyone on these boards with one good eye and half a bit of wit can find out all about Good.

Please try to stay on the topic at hand.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Not me, man I understand we cannot be the end all be all for everyone..believe me, I wish we supported Notes!

As for having BB deployed already, that is a tough one to overcome for individual Treo users, I think people automatically mention GoodLink because it offers the exact same functionality for Exchange as BB does, so they mention it as a possible alternative. All I can say to Treo users out there in BB shops is hang on for just a bit longer if you can. There are things in the pipeline that will blow your mind and make you very, very happy. I know in some cases you can't wait, but if you can, it will be worth it.

Just a little tease and I can't say anything else under penalty of death (or worse, losing my job) but Good is making some great strides over the next few months.

With that being said, Joe is right as it relates to this thread. It is in regards to BB Connect for Palm and, believe me, I am as anxious as anyone for it to be released as I have possible GoodLink sales that are getting held up because of people waiting for it. However, talking about GoodLink would be hijacking this thread. There are other threads, plus a new Yahoo Group (goodlink), that are available for people with any questions/comments about GoodLink, as well as my PM.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PCStreo
    Knoppi:

I am currently using Commontime. It is my understanding that push technology only works under two conditions. (1) the IT department installs it on a server networked to the BB server. or (2) A remote user can run the enterprise version on their desktop which requires your desktop to be on and connected at all times.
    Unfortunately, for myself and many others, these two options will not work.
    I have absolutely no support from the IT department on using my Treo for remote access. They are committed to Blackberry.
    In addition, I am using a laptop and am not allowed to leave it connected to the corporate network.
    Am I correct in my understanding of Commontime? Is there a solutiion which requires minimal interaction with IT?
    PCStreo:
    Thats a problem, you are right. To get your emails pushed with Commontime you need at least one local Notes client with a permanent internet access running mNotes in Workgroup mode.

Some questions:
    - What is your replication scheduling at home? Can you replicate every - lets say - 30 minutes?
    - Do you use dial up or broadband?
    - Does remote replication work for you already?
    - Do you need push all the time, say, are you out of the office often?

Oliver
    RTFM
    Quote Originally Posted by knoppi
    PCStreo:
    Thats a problem, you are right. To get your emails pushed with Commontime you need at least one local Notes client with a permanent internet access running mNotes in Workgroup mode.

Some questions:
    - What is your replication scheduling at home? Can you replicate every - lets say - 30 minutes?
    - Do you use dial up or broadband?
    - Does remote replication work for you already?
    - Do you need push all the time, say, are you out of the office often?

Oliver
    First off, thanks for replying!

I typically replicate at night. Replicating every 30 minutes is not feasible.
    I use broadband.
    No remote replication currently available.
    Need can often be confused with want. I am a pharmaceutical rep and anything I can do while idle would be something i do not have to do when I get home.
    I am still confused about Mnotes and wireless replication of email. If I have no IT support and all my computers are behind a firewall but I want Treo instead of Blackberry will this work. I can leave a computer up all the time running through a proxy but it will be behind a firewall. I got the impression from the datasheet from commontime that I would need IT to open a port so that my treo could contact the computer for its wireless sync.

Any thoughts?
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    You need to open port 603 and 608 for UDP on the machine running the mServer. Thats all. You can use your own PC for this, so thats not a big deal for you, or? Otherwise drop me a PM and I will be glad to help you.

Oliver
    RTFM
    http://www.palmsource.com/events/devcon2005/awards.html

Looks like Blackberry is a sponsor at the PalmSource Mobile Summitt mAY24 IN San Jose

Check out scrollong sponsor link in the lower left corner

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAY THIS BE IT
    I say that RIM has decided to be a sponsor at the palmsource Mobile Summit, just so they can contintue to spout their 'support for the palm OS' and continue to freeze the market. Their connection to palmsource means absolutely NOTHING when it comes to the goal of folks to see a BB client on any device, any time soon. Think about all the dependencies - palmsource would have to incorporate BB functionality into SOME new version of the OS - THEN the licensees (palmOne, etc) next have to decide (or not) to incorporate that functionality into their devices. Then those same licensees would have to release a product that has that new functionality. You're probably talking two years at least - so if you're expecting to see a RIM client embedded into the OS anytime soon - well, just don't. Take all the delays and hubbub with the Cobalt (PalmOS6) release - it's been delivered to licensees for many months, and still - no product with Cobalt. Apply that same timeline to some mystery new OS version with RIM built in, and....well, you get the idea. A long wait.

Your best bet is to have some Treo-specific client available as a download or a purchase or whatever. Waiting on palmSource will get you nowhere, anytime soon.
    Has anyone heard of any update on Blackberry for Palm? We 650 users have backdoored a patch of a solution (zero IT support) using Mnotes but its not very user friendly nor elegant. They will have to pry my 650 out of my cold dead hands or give me a black berry that is more than just email.
    Quote Originally Posted by kajpkgeng
    Has anyone heard of any update on Blackberry for Palm? We 650 users have backdoored a patch of a solution (zero IT support) using Mnotes but its not very user friendly nor elegant. They will have to pry my 650 out of my cold dead hands or give me a black berry that is more than just email.
    Just another marketing slide -- I don't think you will see this. JMO. Talk with GoodGuy though I think they finally have a Notes Solution for Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBallMan
    Just another marketing slide -- I don't think you will see this. JMO. Talk with GoodGuy though I think they finally have a Notes Solution for Treo.
    Won't have a Notes solution until next Spring at the earliest.
    A couple moths ago the PalmOne CEO said they weren't seeing much demand from carriers for the service [Read]. I thought I subsequently read, though, that it would be ready by end of this year. Can't remember where I read that, however.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12