Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have the same issues as the rest of you...minor memory issues, a crash here or there (I had to completely wipe my 650 last night and reload because it was doing a hard reset while syncing contacts with Outlook, and Blazer causes a reset once every other day or so).

I get a little frustrated, then I realize what fun I'm having. We share workarounds here on TreoCentral, poke around in the details. I find myself compulsively checking this board for tips hourly in a way I haven't since the early days of the Treo 600.

Sure the Treo 650 isn't quite ready for prime time yet, but it's mostly software stuff and we're part of the process of getting that worked through. I knew it was gonna be this way when I signed up pre-release.

They'll have it worked through by the time the other carriers launch (that's one of the reasons they're waiting).

In the meantime, I wouldn't have missed this for the world. You guys are great, and I'm having a blast despite our collective gripes.

Long live the Treo...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    tell that to my clients who are annoyed they cant get a hold of me cuz my phone resets when i hit answer.. lol
    If the phone does not work well everytime, it's going back.
    Now that I have everything configured the way I want, I really do like the phone and everything it can do. I'm using bluetooth functions more than I thought I would. Memory is mostly solved by Zlauncher and 1GB card but I do want more internal memory. I'm also not very satisfied with the speakerphone compared to my last phone but I'm getting used to it.

All-in-all, I'm satisfied and sometimes it is fun.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Guys, if your phone is so vital to you or your business that you can't afford to miss even one call, then picking a PDA phone is the worst thing you can do. They all have phone issues and believe me, I've owned most of them, PPC and Palm alike. You are best off just getting a plain jane cell phone that's just a cell phone that's reliable and stop trying to get fancy. Yeah, it would be nice if they worked as advertised, but they don't. PDA cell phones are the most buggy devices known to man and to rely on them as a critical business tool is just plain dangerous to your business health. Just my opinion based on years of PDA phone experience...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgdoc
    If the phone does not work well everytime, it's going back.
    Save yourself some time and cancel the order.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    That's a pretty amazing condemnation of the TREO 650, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer

Thats pretty blunt for a "staff" member. You should explain what you mean. Do you mean that their expectations are too high if he thinks he needs 100% uptime? Or are you specifically talking about the 650's quality?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    I have the same issues as the rest of you...minor memory issues, a crash here or there (I had to completely wipe my 650 last night and reload because it was doing a hard reset while syncing contacts with Outlook, and Blazer causes a reset once every other day or so).

I get a little frustrated, then I realize what fun I'm having. We share workarounds here on TreoCentral, poke around in the details. I find myself compulsively checking this board for tips hourly in a way I haven't since the early days of the Treo 600.

Sure the Treo 650 isn't quite ready for prime time yet, but it's mostly software stuff and we're part of the process of getting that worked through. I knew it was gonna be this way when I signed up pre-release.

They'll have it worked through by the time the other carriers launch (that's one of the reasons they're waiting).

In the meantime, I wouldn't have missed this for the world. You guys are great, and I'm having a blast despite our collective gripes.

Long live the Treo...
    I agree w/ both DougKoz & DaleReeck.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a pristine-perfect device from the get-go, but I assumed there would be some issues so I'm not disappointed. Even with it's flaws & headaches, I'd have real trouble going back to my 600 after using the 650's high-res screen. When people who have a 600 see it & get their hands on it... they're sold!

It's a kick to have a brand new device that's just come to market. I too enjoy most of the interaction I've encountered here at TC. Most of the things that have made me the Treo Guru in my neighborhood, I've learned here. The community here at TC is full of all types of people, just like the real world. I think that's cool.

Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Guys, if your phone is so vital to you or your business that you can't afford to miss even one call, then picking a PDA phone is the worst thing you can do. They all have phone issues and believe me, I've owned most of them, PPC and Palm alike. ..
    I'm sorry but that's not entirely true. I got myself a Samsung SGH-i530 that runs Palm OS 5.2 and not only does it work perfectly, but better than any SonyEricsson or NOkia phone I've owned or tried. Voice quality is superb, reception is so good I sometimes think i'm on a landline, battery life is reasonably good (just like the average Samsung or SonyEricsson phone life). There are also no issues with the OS. I got an endlessly looping reset when I first set it up, but then realized it was my mistake since my Palm Desktop software thought it was hotsyncing my old Clie with OS 4.1

Once I deleted it completely and installed the Samsung version of Palm Desktop, it did a proper sync and there have been ZERO crashes or glitches since I got this phone over a week ago. And I'm more or less a poweruser, so I'm using my phone for just about everything from MP3 playing to modifying my distributors cash flow statement on excel to taking very nice photos with the 1.3 megapixel (with flash) inbuilt camera.

Unfortunately, Samsung isn't selling this phone and it is looking more and more like they never will. It baffles the hell out of me since this phone is not only prepared for the prime-time, but it would sell for up to $700 a pop easily. I never was a fan of a flip phone until owning this baby.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I don't think that when I buy a $600 product I should play ANY part in finding workarounds for anything that the device should be able to do. I'm not going to try to stop my order from ViennaChannels, since it is possible that the GSM version that I've ordered may not have as many problems. However, if it does, I'll be selling it and going back to Windows Mobile, or at least keeping my Treo 600 (unlike others I've only had 6 of them...).

What's wrong with the comment by KRamsauer? Most people posting about the 650 seem to be either complaining or trying to figure out how to make it work. I'd expect anyone who has one to say something like that, even a TreoCentral staff member.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor

you know that isnt what he meant.

the guy said, if the phone doesnt work all the time it is going back. phones (no matter which one you have) dont work all the time. **** happens.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    you know that isnt what he meant.

the guy said, if the phone doesnt work all the time it is going back. phones (no matter which one you have) dont work all the time. **** happens.
    It was still pretty blunt and snippy. Which is unusual for a TC staffer. A little or even a would have softened it a bit.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Does any phone work well every time? No. Is the Treo the most reliable of all phones (note: note all smartphones)? No. Therefore, he shouldn't get a Treo (he also shouldn't get any smartphone).
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Thats pretty blunt for a "staff" member. You should explain what you mean. Do you mean that their expectations are too high if he thinks he needs 100% uptime? Or are you specifically talking about the 650's quality?
    His expectations are too high. I know nothing specific about the 650's quality. Only what I've read here.
    Quote Originally Posted by AVANTI
    I'm sorry but that's not entirely true. I got myself a Samsung SGH-i530 that runs Palm OS 5.2 and not only does it work perfectly, but better than any SonyEricsson or NOkia phone I've owned or tried.
    Avanti, where did you get this SGH-i530?
    Please note that I ==agree== with your statement that I commented upon.

However, it IS a pretty amazing statement to make about a $600 cellphone with a few extra features - to paraphrase (but not by a whole lot!):

== If you need a device that works don't get the new TREO 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    It was still pretty blunt and snippy. Which is unusual for a TC staffer. A little or even a would have softened it a bit.
    In response to a blatantly unrealistic requirement, I can truly forgive the snippiness.

What's bizarre is Seldom, who is often so gleeful to point out other people's lack of realism, thinking that not working every single time somehow constitutes condemnation for a cell phone. I have yet to own any electronic device which works every time, so by that logic I guess they should all be condemned.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    What's bizarre is Seldom, who is often so gleeful to point out other people's lack of realism, thinking that not working every single time somehow constitutes condemnation for a cell phone. I have yet to own any electronic device which works every time, so by that logic I guess they should all be condemned.
    Experiences obviously differ:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=25
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    Avanti, where did you get this SGH-i530?

And can we get one too?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast