1. cjg
    Does anyone know how to enable sending email from the 650 (service from Sprint) through my regular SMTP server? Sprint doesn't know how. I can email through Sprint email, but I cannot send through my regular server. That means I can't reply . . . TIA, your help is much appreciated.
    sprint should know the answer to this. it cant be done.

sprint prevent relaying so you have to use their smtp server.

why do you say you cant reply?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    This has been discussed ad nauseum in 600 threads, and since this isn't a 600/650 thing, the answer is still the same. Most ISPs won't let you relay email through their SMTP servers without being inside their network, which means being assigned one of their IP addresses. Felipe, this has nothing to do with Sprint, this is all on your ISP's shoulders. Sprint isn't blocking you from relaying email, the ISP whose SMTP server you're trying to use is blocking you. However, since you have a Sprint PCS email address, you can use Sprint's SMTP servers to send email, using your Sprint user ID and password to authenticate to their servers.

Your ISP is doing this for a reason, they don't want some spammer getting a valid user ID and password and relaying email all over the world through their SMTP servers from a machine outside of their network. It's a lot harder to hack an IP address than it is to get a valid user ID and password.

There's a simple solution for this. POP3 email comes into your Treo from your ISP and goes out from your Treo via Sprint, and you set up a reply-to address pointing back to your real email address in your Treo email client's options. It shouldn't matter to you who's actually sending your email, I haven't heard of anyone complaining that Sprint is sending out their email instead of Adelphia or Bellsouth.
  4. cjg
    Thanks. That indeed works (well, except that I can't seem to send to multiple addressees . . .). Crazy thing is that recipients see the sender/author of my messages as "Archived Folders." Any suggested fix for this? Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Need examples please. Including the FORMAT and what fields...I'm going crazy trying to connect here...does one need the password?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I used my 600 and still use my 650 to send mail through Earthlink.
    post #3 is only partially true.

most ISP's/email providers *will* let you relay through their SMTP server from off-network, so long as you've 'authenticated' your connection first. there are a few different methods for accomplishing that - POP-before-SMTP, or SMTP-auth, etc.. I run an email service, but provide no connectivity - i have customers all over the world, so the only way they can use our SMTP server is to authenticate on our system first - we can't block 'other networks' because all of our customers are coming in from other networks.

on the other hand, in the last year or so, a great many ISP's - sprint included, i believe - have taken to blocking their own customers from connecting to SMTP servers outside of their own network. sort of reverse blocking. The idea is to prevent spammers from jumping onto other people's SMTP servers to send junk. so by and large, most users out there are finding themselves locked in, and locked out, as it were.

because of the outbound blocking, a lot of businesses like mine have taken to setting up an alternate port for access to the SMTP server. The standard SMTP port is 25. By opening up the SMTP server for access through a different port (there's an 'official' port, but it's hard for people to remember, so we just use 2525), it bypasses the local blocking.

the long and short of it is that you should first check with your 'home' SMTP provider and ask them what form of authentication they support from outside their network. Then ask them if they have an alternate SMTP port available. The largest providers out there have been gradually rolling out outbound-smtp-blocking, so it's not uncommon to find that you *can* relay outbound from one location, but can't from another. In the long haul, pretty much all large providers will eventually block outbound-smtp, so you'll need an alternate port one day anyway.

this turned out a lot longer than i'd anticipated. I blame coffee.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    post #3 is only partially true.

most ISP's/email providers *will* let you relay through their SMTP server from off-network, so long as you've 'authenticated' your connection first.
    No, post #3 is very true. Search the forums and you will see that by in large, most (if not all) people are unable to use their ISP's SMTP servers with any Treo-based email client and any sort of authentication (POP before SMTP, SMTP authentication, etc) For example, here's one of many threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64601

where Bellsouth and Adelphia are blocking outbound SMTP from outside of their networks. This has been confirmed by several sources that if you don't have an ISP-issued IP address, you won't be allowed to relay email through their SMTP servers.

It's working for you because, by your own admission, you're using your own Exchange server not attached to an ISP, and it doesn't require IP address authentication.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    No, post #3 is very true.
    as i said, it is only partially true. the balance of my post addresses the specific issues.

Search the forums and you will see that by in large, most (if not all) people are unable to use their ISP's SMTP servers with any Treo-based email client and any sort of authentication (POP before SMTP, SMTP authentication, etc) For example, here's one of many threads:
    the above is absolutely wrong. how can you suggest "most (if not all)" when people in this thread have already stated that they have no trouble doing so, for example, using that itty-bitty-teeny-tiny ISP called "Earthlink"?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=64601

where Bellsouth and Adelphia are blocking outbound SMTP from outside of their networks. This has been confirmed by several sources that if you don't have an ISP-issued IP address, you won't be allowed to relay email through their SMTP servers.
    that's odd, since i easily found a page detailing the settings for doing authenticated SMTP through bellsouth's mailserver from off-network.

i couldn't check out adelphia because they have access to their support resources locked down to existing customers.

It's working for you because, by your own admission, you're using your own Exchange server not attached to an ISP, and it doesn't require IP address authentication.
    please show me where i say i'm running that piece of crap called exchange.

many ISP's offer either pop-before-smtp, or smtp auth. you had said "Most ISPs won't let you relay email through their SMTP servers without being inside their network, which means being assigned one of their IP addresses." i disagree. some large ISP's, particularly those offering broadband to fixed locations, require you to be within their network, as they assume you'll always be within their IP space. on the other hand, many of those same ISP's offer either an alternate port with POP-before-SMTP or SMTP auth, but you need to ask them for the specifics - they don't advertise it. almost all ISP's that offer dialup access offer alternative access methods.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    that's odd, since i easily found a page detailing the settings for doing authenticated SMTP through bellsouth's mailserver from off-network.
    for reference

http://help.bellsouth.net/blscontent...utlook2002.asp
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    If you would've actually READ the thread that I sent you, you'd see that NO ONE is able to relay email through either Bellsouth's or Adelphia's SMTP servers, even when using the mail.bellsouth.net (which was clearly pointed out as a non-working solution) SMTP server that your link says to do. This is not the first, or even the 10th, thread that I've read where people are unable to relay email through Bellsouth's, Adelphia's, Yahoo's, SBC's, etc SMTP servers. If you can get it to work with Earthlink, great, post your settings out there, I'm sure lots of people would be thrilled to be able to relay their email through Earthlink's SMTP servers if they have an account there. But in my experience from what I've read on lots of these threads, MOST people are not able to relay through their ISPs, and no matter how big you think Earthlink is, they do not control 50+% of the Internet usage on this board, so MOST still fits pretty nicely.

If you can post actual working SMTP settings for Bellsouth or Adelphia (or any other non-relayable SMTP server), that would be great, we'd all sing songs about you and call you a god. But posting that you're able to relay email through your own private, anti-MS solution isn't germane to the conversation unless you're going to open up your SMTP server to all the frustrated Treo users.

Which would be great if you could get on that quickly.
    I am able to send mail through my yahoo address (I use Yahoo Premium mail service) using Agendus mail but using the exact same settings in Versamail produces a 535 error (authorization error). However Versamail will allow smtp through my Comcast account.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have absolutely no problem sending mail on my 650 with Versa Mail or Snapper through Earthlink.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    If you would've actually READ the thread that I sent you, you'd see that NO ONE is able to relay email through either Bellsouth's or Adelphia's SMTP servers, even when using the mail.bellsouth.net (which was clearly pointed out as a non-working solution) SMTP server that your link says to do.
    i don't see a direct reference to the resource i provided. i don't see any posts that definitively show that following those directions won't work. i see a lot of people asking how to do it, and being told it can't be done. since i don't have a bellsouth account, i can't test it myself.

This is not the first, or even the 10th, thread that I've read where people are unable to relay email through Bellsouth's, Adelphia's, Yahoo's, SBC's, etc SMTP servers.
    well, there again, you're listing among those mailservers ones that WILL ALLOW YOU TO USE THEM FROM OFF NETWORK, as verified by some posters. just because some people are unable to follow the instructions for off-network access for their particular ISP doesn't mean it's not possible.

If you can get it to work with Earthlink, great, post your settings out there, I'm sure lots of people would be thrilled to be able to relay their email through Earthlink's SMTP servers if they have an account there.
    if you would reread what you insist that i didn't read, a poster in that thread specifically stated he had no trouble relaying through earthlink. ask him.

But in my experience from what I've read on lots of these threads, MOST people are not able to relay through their ISPs, and no matter how big you think Earthlink is, they do not control 50+% of the Internet usage on this board, so MOST still fits pretty nicely.
    you forgot comcast, SBC, yahoo, all ISP's that you can relay through - if you follow their instructions properly....hmm, yeah, all small-fry.

If you can post actual working SMTP settings for Bellsouth or Adelphia (or any other non-relayable SMTP server), that would be great, we'd all sing songs about you and call you a god.
    i don't have a bellsouth account.

would some kind reader who has a bellsouth account please follow the directions for authenticated SMTP that are detailed in the link i posted, and report back? thanks.

But posting that you're able to relay email through your own private, anti-MS solution isn't germane to the conversation unless you're going to open up your SMTP server to all the frustrated Treo users.

Which would be great if you could get on that quickly.
    sure. prices can all be found at the URL in my signature. most free services don't offer all of POP3, IMAP, four webmail interfaces, ironclad privacy policy, real support from real people and usually within hours of submitting a support request (try getting that from *any* large service) and the ability to relay from anywhere in the world. if you want quality service, expect to pay for it.
    Paul Theodoropoulos