1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

When I purchased my T650, one of the things I wanted to do was to use it to replace my existing RIM pager. I have been partially successful, but there are still a few issues. I'll share my experience below, and I would love to hear any advice from any of you that have already done something similar to this:

First of all, for those of you not familiar with RIM devices, they are the precursors to today's Blackberry devices, and are designed to do pretty much one thing: mobile email. I and several other engineers at work use them to receive alerts about service outages on our network, and sometimes to discuss said outages.

The primary RIM features that I rely on (and therefore what I would need the Treo to do) are:
    - Persistent alerts. If a message is delivered to my RIM device and I don't acknowledge it, it will continue to beep until I read the message.
    - Large messages. Some of the alert emails we receive are greater than 160 chars, and therefore will not fit in a single SMS message.
    - Multiple message recipients. I often need to CC several people on messages I send using my RIM pager, and I need to be able to see and reply to the entire list of message recipients on inbound messages..
    - Delivery and read notifications. When sending a message to another RIM device, I can see whether or not the remote device has received the message, and whether or not it has been opened and read.
    - Guaranteed delivery. If my device is powered down or out of network range, my messages will be delivered to me automatically once the device is powered back on or back in network range.

At the moment, it looks like the only solution to approximate most of these features (except for delivery/read notifications, which I can probably do without) would be to set up an IMAP account, use Chatter to access it (making sure that it constantly checks in the background), and to use TreoAlertMgr to ensure that the alerts about new emails are persistent.

Now, the above described configuration would work fine, except for one major problem: it doesn't work at all whenever I am using the T650 as a wireless modem (via BT DUN), since Chatter can no longer send/receive messages. Since I often need to use the T650 as a wireless modem for fairly long periods of time, this is not acceptable.

So my question to all of you is: how can I use my T650 as a wireless modem while still keeping some kind of RIM pager-like functionality? I haven't tried PdaNet with this config; maybe it won't break Chatter's email access? Please share any advice you may have on how to make this happen. I'm open to any solution, and I have full control over my mail infrastructure on the server side in case there are any server-side hacks, etc. that need to be in place.

Also, assuming I can fix the 'wireless modem breaking email access' issue, I would love to hear any tips you may have on software choice, espeically if there is anything out there that is better than Chatter for doing this sort of thing. In addition to Chatter, I have tested both VersaMail and SnapperMail with IMAP accounts. They both had no problems retrieving the mail, but SnapperMail insisted on turning on my T650's screen to display a status screen every time it checked for new emails, and VersaMail wasn't as full-featured as Chatter IMO (I especially liked how Chatter lets one reply to an email right in the alert without bringing up the main Chatter screen).

Thanks in advance for any help! I look forward to hearing all of your ideas. I know there are lots of smart people on this board, so I am hoping that a few of you have some experience with and insight on what I'm trying to do here.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by threetee
    At the moment, it looks like the only solution to approximate most of these features (except for delivery/read notifications, which I can probably do without) would be to set up an IMAP account, use Chatter to access it (making sure that it constantly checks in the background), and to use TreoAlertMgr to ensure that the alerts about new emails are persistent.
    After a little more research, it looks like TreoAlertMgr doesn't make Chatter's email alerts persistent (although it works great for other system alerts). However, in a recent update, Chatter includes a built-in mechanism for doing this.