Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had this happen twice now. I turn the phone off before going to bed (no reception in my house). Wake the next morning and my Treo does not respond. Neither power nor phone button will wake it up. Reset button doesn't even work. I take out the battery and it put back in immediately and it comes to life fine, no worse for the wear. Anyone else running into this? I don't have anything odd on my system, nothing that tries to check email or something in the middle of the night. Weird, hope mine is not defective ...
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I did, and it died after doing that twice.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkpitt73
    I've had this happen twice now. I turn the phone off before going to bed (no reception in my house). Wake the next morning and my Treo does not respond. Neither power nor phone button will wake it up. Reset button doesn't even work. I take out the battery and it put back in immediately and it comes to life fine, no worse for the wear. Anyone else running into this? I don't have anything odd on my system, nothing that tries to check email or something in the middle of the night. Weird, hope mine is not defective ...
    Well, it could be something you have loaded, or it could be a defective Treo. Check out this thread for tips on troubleshooting. If it does it on a completely clean Treo, then its definitely a bad Treo and you need to get it exchanged.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Same problem I'm having... going to back my stuff up and do a hard reset in a bit.
    my treo 650 also has been doing the same thing almost every morning. it works perfectly throughout the day time. I turn the phone network off at night. every morning after I wake up the Treo does not respond any more, and requires a reset to bring it back. I thought it was my LEDOFF app, took that out and it still happens. I'm stumped... it's beginning to drive me insane...
    Have you tried CrashPro ? Their web site IIRC talks about tis very issue, waking up to dead Treos when it tries to do soemthing during the night and freezes with screen in on position. Crash will reset the phone in a freeze ut crash pro will loag what is causing it.

http://www.79bmedia.com/content/view/39/33/lang,en/

"This automation will result in less stress when your PalmOS PDA crashes. And if your PDA crashed in the middle of the night the automatic reset prevents its batteries to drain, as it will not stay on all night, until you eventually press the Reset button in the morning."
    I have seen this on two of our units. Completely stock with the exception of Docs to Go and Sprints Biz Connect. As long as the radio is on it is okay. But, if they turn off the radio it will probably go dead. I have asked them to turn off the "push" feature in the Biz Connect, but neither has remembered to try this for me.
    i went to the trouble shooting and i could not find any answers there to my treo's problem. anyone know what to do after your puppy has chewed your 650 to pieces
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    How about I got the phone and it immediately starting

1) disconnecting during calls
    2) rebooting during calls
    3) rebooting while sitting in idle state on the desk (while connected to charger and not)
    3) locking up and requiring remove/replace of battery to come live (while connected to charger and not), due to no action on pressing of power button

Note - this is on a BRAND NEW phone delivered from Verizon. I have had enough PDAs and mobile devices over the years that my policy is to never install apps or sync data for the first week (minimum). I use the device strictly as a phone for that period of time. This is not an issue with 3rd party apps, syncing tools or anything else. It's just buggy.

Verizon had me do a soft reset. Same issues. P1 had me do a hard reset. Same issues. If anyone has ideas, I'd be interested. This device appears to kick my crackberry's a%* if I can get it stabilized. Verizon is sending a replacement phone for delivery tomorrow, so we'll see.....
    just for testing sake I left my phone on during the night and it still went off some time during the night, again took a hard reset to bring it back. this is nuts!
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I've got a brand new Treo 650 (only had it 12 hours) and I'm getting the same thing.

When I took it out of the box it came on fine but when turned off refused to come back on again, and only a reset would get it back to life.

Last night I turned off the phone functions and then turned off the phone before going to bed.

This morning my Treo was dead to the world: no amount of button pushing could get a peep out of the thing.

Just like before, the only way that it would come back to life would be to reset the device.

Once on, it seems to operate fine and can be turned on and of as normal.

Have I got a pup?

I've barely installed anything - Agendus, Splash ID and Sol Free, and the Treo has the latest 1.20 ROM.

Should I send it back?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    my treo took a dump - long story, but I did a fresh install of everything, desktop, etc.

this has happened twice for me, and it seems the battery is completely dead which means I need to plug it in before I can turn it on.

very frustrating.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75
    I've got a brand new Treo 650 (only had it 12 hours) and I'm getting the same thing.

When I took it out of the box it came on fine but when turned off refused to come back on again, and only a reset would get it back to life.

Last night I turned off the phone functions and then turned off the phone before going to bed.

This morning my Treo was dead to the world: no amount of button pushing could get a peep out of the thing.

Just like before, the only way that it would come back to life would be to reset the device.

Once on, it seems to operate fine and can be turned on and of as normal.

Have I got a pup?

I've barely installed anything - Agendus, Splash ID and Sol Free, and the Treo has the latest 1.20 ROM.

Should I send it back?
    Sorry to bump my own comments here, but I would appreciate some feedback here before I start insisting that the vendor replaces the Treo.

Thanks!

Should I send it back?
    Nope. I'd follow the instructions in the manual and not install any programs for the 1st week....or 3-4 days at least .... need to establish a baseline ith which to compare with. Vendor also will not talk to you about a replacement unless you can demonstrate problem on nakie phone w/ no programs.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Nope. I'd follow the instructions in the manual and not install any programs for the 1st week....
    Err, but the phone went dead straight after it came out of the box!

Without installing anything at all - after just turning it on and off once, the phone went dead and needed a reset to come back on.

That surely suggests that it has nothing to do with third party software because there wasn't any loaded!
    Err, but the phone went dead straight after it came out of the box!

Without installing anything at all - after just turning it on and off once, the phone went dead and needed a reset to come back on.

That surely suggests that it has nothing to do with third party software because there wasn't any loaded!
    I think it merely suggests that it did it one time in the out of the box. While it seems likely that there is a hardware issue, the only way you are gonna know for sure, and be able to make your case to the vendor, regarding a replacement will be to:

1. Do a "hard reset" to return to "out of box" condition.
    2. Reintsall the ROM just to make sure nothing burped during last install.
    3. For GSM users, replace the SIM tray. If you determine that the old-style SIM tray is causing your smartphone's radio to turn off unexpectedly, you are urged to contact Palm's SIM tray hotline at 866-677-7256. Palm will mail you a new-style SIM tray to replace your old one.
    http://supportcingular.atgnow.com/cn...s/KB53306.html
    4. If still a problem, check and see if you have 32KB Gemplus SIM card, if so may want to ask 64kB for replacement. Personally I belive the problem with these was really related to above and the larger cards are just stiffer thereby making the ridge less necessary.
    5. Demonstrate repeated occurrence of the problem in a "off the shelf" condition.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I think it merely suggests that it did it one time in the out of the box. While it seems likely that there is a hardware issue, the only way you are gonna know for sure, and be able to make your case to the vendor, regarding a replacement will be to...
    The Treo came with the new 1.20 already ROM installed and the problems I'm getting are exactly the same as the one I had when I opened the box - i.e. the Treo not turning on. And this first happened with no third party apps or SIM card installed.

Don't forget, I've only had it 24 hours and it's already refused to wake up three times!

Under UK law, if something isn't fit for the purpose sold, the vendor is obliged to refund or replace.

Seeing as the phone wouldn't even turn on without a reset before a single thing was installed or even a SIM card installed, I'd say I've got a watertight case for refund/replacement here.

Much as I appreciate your comments, I've already missed two calls because of the phone turning itself off and I'm not exactly to spend a week wondering if I've got a working phone in my pocket or not!
    The Treo came with the new 1.20 already ROM installed and the problems I'm getting are exactly the same as the one I had when I opened the box - i.e. the Treo not turning on. And this first happened with no third party apps or SIM card installed.
    Key word being "ONE". Fact remains if you want a replacement you are going to have to show the vendor that it is repeatable in an out of box condition. Admittedly, you have only experienced it one time this way and if you want to prove your case, that's what ya gonna have to do.

Seeing as the phone wouldn't even turn on without a reset before a single thing was installed or even a SIM card installed, I'd say I've got a watertight case for refund/replacement here.
    Well you can't turn on "the phone" w/o a SIM card and make sure you turn off the phone before removing the SIM card. A "case" means showing, or better said "proving" your point. To prove it, it must be a) repeatable and b) repeatable w/o any 3rd party stuff present.

Much as I appreciate your comments, I've already missed two calls because of the phone turning itself off and I'm not exactly to spend a week wondering if I've got a working phone in my pocket or not!
    Well if you do steps 1 thru 3 you can pretty much stop wondering as I am 99% sure the Gemplus 32kb SIM issue was really a tray issue. A hard reset takes about 40 seconds....if there's a store nearby, a SIM tray replacement takes about the same time.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Well you can't turn on "the phone" w/o a SIM card and make sure you turn off the phone before removing the SIM card. A "case" means showing, or better said "proving" your point. To prove it, it must be a) repeatable and b) repeatable w/o any 3rd party stuff present.
    I meant turn on the Treo. And I would obviously turn off the phone before taking out/putting in the SIM card.

I've had maybe seven PDAs and eight mobiles and I've never, ever had to reset one just to get it to turn on, straight out of the box. Neither have I had one continuing to need resetting three times in under 24 hrs.

The fact that it happened without a SIM card and any apps installed and continues to do so says to me that's the phone's a duff one.

I find it strange that you seem to think that the 'out of the box' problem was some sort of weird one-off that has no bearing on the subsequent, identical problems.

I'm afraid I don't agree - but then it's my money -and my missed business calls - at stake here!
    I find it strange that you seem to think that the 'out of the box' problem was some sort of weird one-off that has no bearing on the subsequent, identical problems.
    I don't "think anything" at this point because I can not make an informed judgement. These are the facts as you have laid them out:

1. The thing wouldn't turn on 1st time out of the box. Common and well known problem with original defective SIM tray present. To make the determination if this is the problem requires only that you remove the card, look at the tray and compare it to the one on the picture in the listed url. Can't understand why you have so much resistance to this 15 second time investment to determine if you have the bad tray.

2. After a ROM upgrade a reset is required. Did the tech who installed your ROM do that, maybe he forgot. Did a file get hosed, a preferences file fudged itself due to stray electromagnetic fields, rough handling or whatever, was soemthing left in memory after a in factory test procedure ?.... I don't know. Only by hard resetting the device will you know for sure if there was any stray bits, electrons or whatever left in memory when it left the factory. First thing I did outta the box is a hard reset, and I soft reset before every install. 99.8% of all Treos may arrive fresh and clean but it is possible. I once received a PC where they hadn't formatted the HD. I received another PC where they left the test / burn in program on it. That's 2 outta 58 PC's in alst 13 years.

3. How often have you taken your car into a shop to fix something that you have observed happening and they can not duplicate the problem ? Or a PC ? If you want to get the car dealer or vendor to replace anything you are going to have to demonstrate it to him. Demonstrating that the car gets bad mileage after you have been pulling a 2,000 pound trailer for the last two weeks isn't gonna change his mind. Saying that you got bad mileage on the first tank isn't going to help as he will say that happens sometimes during the break in period. Based upon what you have described I would say thre is a 95% chance that you are right. But 95% isn't going to get you anywhere with the vendor. You can invest 3 minutes making sure to eliminate the last 5% or invest much more than that arguing with the vendor as to why you belive a one time occurrence warrants giving you a new device.

If you eliminate that last 5 % and get a new device, you still gotta reinstall your 2-3 programs anyway. What do you save by not investing 5 minutes of your time and checking ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast