1.    #1  
    I want to let PalmOne know how upset I am over the fact that the Roadshow orders are not being filled in a timely manor because of PalmOne and this is not a proper way to treat customers who take off half a day of work to view their new product. Does anyone have and e-mail, or phone number that we be good to use to complain about this? The PalmOne site contact links are useless as they all point to the carrier sites.
    P1 never promised timely release of the roadshow 650's. So why be upset. In fact they mentioned it would be slower. My quess is that Sprint has a written contract with P1 that no other company/person/carrier or even P1 itself could sell the 650 until January 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    I want to let PalmOne know how upset I am over the fact that the Roadshow orders are not being filled in a timely manor because of PalmOne and this is not a proper way to treat customers who take off half a day of work to view their new product. Does anyone have and e-mail, or phone number that we be good to use to complain about this? The PalmOne site contact links are useless as they all point to the carrier sites.
    If you want it so bad, why not go out and buy it from P1 or Sprint today? You can have it tomorrow. P1 specifically mentioned at the roadshow that VC is not a store.
  4.    #4  
    Well for one, I am getting a Sprint 650, so I don't see how getting my Sprint 650 from VC instead of through Sprint is going to hurt Sprint in any way.

Secondly I never heard anything about a long delay. Maybe I should have asked. The way these typically work with other companies is that they try to what you go to the demo out to those people quickly as a gesture of appreciation for attending, and becasue these users will get the devices out there for people to see better.

If you are happy with the situation fine. I am not and want to find some channels to vent this to at PalmOne.
    I'm an IT manager preparing to roll out a Complete New solution (New Hardware & Software platform) for our Company January 1st. I Sold all of our GSM 600's the week prior to the Official 650 Annoucment . The Data Side worked great on all of them But even after replacing some of them 3 times the Phone Side was Marginal at best. Part of our New software solution Will Depend on having Mobile data capability for all our Managment. I Spent a Total of 5 Hours driving time to attend the Roadshow in Chicago with the Hopes that attendies would be the First to recieve thier phones Not The Absolute Last!! Now while waiting I have been monitoring this site and Brighthand and it sounds as if the 650 is experiencing ALL of the same quality control issues that made the 600 a Failure as a "phone". Dont get Me wrong I Love the Palm OS, I wish they Made a Desktop version I would have it on every machine in all our locations But in reading of problems that folks are having 2 weeks after shipping has started and some people are already on there second replacment I Have to wonder. I Now need to Make a Decision on which other Mobile devices will fill the Bill for this project (Sprint Is not an alternative in our area) & I am not a Fan of Windows Pocket PC based Units.
    The way these typically work with other companies is that they try to what you go to the demo out to those people quickly as a gesture of appreciation for attending, and becasue these users will get the devices out there for people to see better.
    Actually, I think its just the opposite. Freebies and "special deals" are almost always filled last. Front line customers from Sprint and P1 (who are paying more money up front) will always get first dibs. In this case, the mere fact that the Treo 650 was being "offered" early (even if only in perception and not reality) and at a reduced price was the incentive to get you out, not to be the first one on the block. And apparently it worked because you went, didn't you?
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    someone earlier today posited that perhaps P1 was waiting until the roadshow coupon deadline before filling orders. not sure why vienna channels wouldn't just tell us that, but it seems like a viable reason for the delay. i'm comfortable with the wait - $250 savings is worth it - but i'd give it another week (lets say the remainder of this week) and see if they start shipping them out next week. me - well i personally don't expect it before christmas, so i'm not exactly pressed to start calling them about it. especially since my card hasn't been charged yet...
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Actually, I think its just the opposite. Freebies and "special deals" are almost always filled last. Front line customers from Sprint and P1 (who are paying more money up front) will always get first dibs. In this case, the mere fact that the Treo 650 was being "offered" early (even if only in perception and not reality) and at a reduced price was the incentive to get you out, not to be the first one on the block. And apparently it worked because you went, didn't you?
    I've been In the Technology business for A long time and any time I've Attended a roadshow type event the attendees were given first crack at the new product, Normally to assist the Beta Programs to work out the Bugs prior to General release. In this case it sounds like that would Have been a Good Idea.
    There is a difference between thinking that P1 "owes" you something and simply complaining about a situation that you don't feel is right. I knew what could happen with this deal and was willing to take the risk. That does not mean I am happy about how things worked out or that I would not communicate my feelings on the issue to the appropriate parties.

Now with the Vienna Channnels deal, we WERE told in Chicago that it would not be the fasatest way to buy a 650, however, that did not mean that it would talke until Christmas or even later or that there would be such uncertainty. It is fair to complain about that.

Also fair to complain that this makes no sense whatsoever in light of the purpose of the Roadshow to begin with. The idea was to get the phones in the hands of decision makers (or people who report to decision makers) and get them fired up over the phone. These types of people need certainty, they need to know when it will be comming so they know how long they have to make the decision or report to the boss. And you should want to get the phones in their hands ASAP.you lose the buzz, you lose the momentum and, esp. for those on a calander year budget basis, you lose the window to make a decision for next year. Lots of decsisions are made this time of year and the wait is a killer.

And none of this hurts Sprint in the long run, regardless of the contracts that may exist. If Sprint is giving the $150 discount either for new customers or 18mo customers, they are not making any money on the phone. What they are making money on is the new or extended contract. VC sending out Sprint phones helps sprint in most cases helps sprint.

Yes, if you are an 18mo customer and you bought from VC instead of Sprint, you dont HAVE to re-up your contract so that, on paper affects them, but then you now have a Sprint only smartphone that ties you to their network. But even that is outweighed by the new Sprint people they could have by getting the Sprint only phones to people right away, getting them to switch from their other carrier.

Now, as to the Demo program, this REALLY makes no sense since they are not even selling anything. Those units should have been gotten to the people the day of the Roadshow IMO. Why not?

In short, although they may not "owe" the attendees anything, they way the VC orders have been handled, defeats the purpose of having the Roadshow in the first place. I have vendors I talked to emailing me and calling me to try and sell their products and not only do I not have the phone, I don't know when it might show up.

If this was the way the system was supposed to work, they should have just skipped the Roadshows until they were reeady to really provide the attendees with units to use.
    Try 1-800-BITE-MEE....
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    I've been In the Technology business for A long time and any time I've Attended a roadshow type event the attendees were given first crack at the new product, Normally to assist the Beta Programs to work out the Bugs prior to General release. In this case it sounds like that would Have been a Good Idea.
    I've been doing it for a semi-long time too and especially in my old job I dealt with many vendors over the years. If a stock is limited in availability as was in the case of the 650, they aren't going to waste this limited stock filling reduced price and demo orders and leave full paying phone and cell phone plan buying customers twisting in the wind. No way are they going to do that. As the old saying goes, money talks and BS walks.

Maybe if it were still in beta when you guys were going to the roadshows what you said might be true. Other vendors have done this in the past, made betas of products and software available to show attendees. But the 650 was no longer in beta, they were just building up stock of a finished product. To P1, it was just a sales pitch, plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    I'm an IT manager preparing to roll out a Complete New solution (New Hardware & Software platform) for our Company January 1st. I Sold all of our GSM 600's the week prior to the Official 650 Annoucment .
    You sold them ALL? Not the ones people are actually using, I hope? If so, you must be one real unpopular fellow right now.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    All The folks that bought them were techies Not business users , Techies will put up with the shortcomings cause they have all the Cool stuff. Business users need tools Not Toys.. I temporarily replaced the Treo 600's with Nokia 6010's so they could acctualy comunicate.. BTW Bob Nice looking Bike, I ride a Sportster & a Fatboy

Barney
    Well for one, I am getting a Sprint 650, so I don't see how getting my Sprint 650 from VC instead of through Sprint is going to hurt Sprint in any way.
    You don't see it because you feel that getting a 650 right now at a discount is advantageous to you. Sprint signed an agreement to be "first in line" with the Treo 650, and that is why they are shipping first. To you it may seem absurd that VC can't get these orders out in a "timely" fashion, but it's no more absurd than calling Sprint, trying to buy a Sprint phone and being told they can't sell it to you because they don't have any, but if you go through this third party vendor...
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    There is a difference between thinking that P1 "owes" you something and simply complaining about a situation that you don't feel is right. I knew what could happen with this deal and was willing to take the risk. That does not mean I am happy about how things worked out or that I would not communicate my feelings on the issue to the appropriate parties.

Now with the Vienna Channnels deal, we WERE told in Chicago that it would not be the fasatest way to buy a 650, however, that did not mean that it would talke until Christmas or even later or that there would be such uncertainty. It is fair to complain about that.
    Were you given a specific time frame as to when phones pruchased through this method would ship? Unless there was a firm promise, when it is "fair to complain" is subjective.

Also fair to complain that this makes no sense whatsoever in light of the purpose of the Roadshow to begin with. The idea was to get the phones in the hands of decision makers (or people who report to decision makers) and get them fired up over the phone.
    I don't know about that. Most development people pay top dollar to get a fully functioning, production release phone before anyone else. despite shortcomings, this is no longer in beta testing. Yes, the roadshow to fire people up, but not to immediately hand you a phone at a bargain rate.

These types of people need certainty, they need to know when it will be comming so they know how long they have to make the decision or report to the boss.
    And you have that certainty. Your enterprise can buy it now, and get it tomorrow... if you pay full price.
  16.    #16  
    I am not really looking for psychological analysis of my statements, or your analysis on how PalmOne or VC has handled the situation, just the contact information. If you don't have it fine, don't respond. Personally I don't care if any of you think that I should or should not be upset, and I didn't ask you if I should or should not be upset. I just wanted the contact information.

Like I said "If you are happy with the situation fine. I am not and want to find some channels to vent this to at PalmOne."
    And you have that certainty. Your enterprise can buy it now, and get it tomorrow... if you pay full price.

But Only If You can use Sprint Service, Not an Option For Us..
    Does anyone have and e-mail, or phone number that we be good to use to complain about this? The PalmOne site contact links are useless as they all point to the carrier sites.
    Try Googl-ing the name of one of the Roadshow speakers and see if an email address comes up. That's worked for me in the past. You might also try firstname.lastname@palmone.com
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com