Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wrote this with the Treo 600 in mind, but if you have a 650, simply use a 320x240(?) res instead (see below).

If you would rather not spend $30 for software that does something that could be done for free, then this is for you. Even though I purchased Pocket DVD Studio, I spent the last 4 days digging around the web for information and guides before making that decision. I may as well make use of the information in the case that you guys may want to try it anyway (I didn't want to do this everytime, personally)...

Anyway, what I was looking for: least amount of steps, least amount of tools. Well I came across this guide which helped me build what I have for you (lots of credit to that author, BTW).

What you see in the link above is somewhat incomplete, however, since it does not advise on how to convert from DVD. I took it a few steps further as you will see.

The main differences:
    - ripping from dvd (.vob files, not just .avi or .mpg format already)
    - joining for a smaller result file (28MB xvid .avi for 43 minutes of video)

What you will need installed:
    - dvd decrypter
    - virtualdubmod (latest version)
    - mp3 codec
    - xvid codec

So here are the steps, quick and dirty (hey it's already 2:30am):

DVD Decrypter --> rip main movie VOBs from DVDs

VirtualDubMod --> to create separate AVIs (xvid):
    1) open first .VOB file in virtualdubmod
    2) Video->Frame rate->Process every other frame (important for smoother playback)
    3) Video->Filters->Add->Resize (set resolution to 160x112, filter mode: precise bilinear)
    4) Video->Compression
    XVID->Configure, change profile to Unrestricted
    Choose Two Pass - First Pass
    click on the upper-right button (…)
    check “closed GOV"
    click on Advanced options
    Set VHQ mode to 4
    Set chroma motion
    Set turbo
    5) Stream->Stream List
    Right-click on your stream, choose “full processing mode”
    Right-click, choose “Compression”
    (choose MP3, and something in the 22Hz range, mono)
    6) File->Save as, and use a filename, like "temp1" (this isn't your final movie)
    check “Don’t run this job now….”
    7) Video->Compression-> Xvid -> Configure
    set encoding type to “Two Pass – second pass”
    specify file size (in kbytes!):
    experience says:
    ~55MB total for 43min tv episodes (55000KB)
    ~120MB total for 90min movies (120000KB)
    -->so ~25000KB for each 1GB VOB
    8) File-Save As (this is your final movie name)
    Leave “ Don’t run this job…” checked.
    9) File->Job control
    Start
    10) After Done, repeat for next VOB

VirtualDubMod --> to append AVIs into a single file (since you cannot append VOBs):
    1) open first 2nd-pass file in virtualdubmod
    File->append file (repeat for as many 2nd-pass files as you created)
    2) Video->Frame rate->Process every frame (since the source files will already be 15fps)
    3) Video->Compression
    XVID->Configure
    Choose One Pass
    4) File-Save As (this will be your joined file)

Again, I was surprised to see the resulting joined 2 .avis of a 43 minute tv episode (from DVD VOB files - 1.7GB) turn into a 28MB file, with great clarity and no audio sync problem. For reference, Pocket-DVD creates it (with similar specs) as a 55MB .avi. I should also mention that I tried Dr. Divx 1.05 as a one-stop solution, but it doesn't afford the option of lowering frame rates properly. The Treo600 processor couldn't handle 29fps.

On a side note, going through all this really made me realize how much Pocket DVD makes your life easier. If you want to go the pay route, definitely go with them - it is simple and it works. And I also purchased mmplayer (after further testing of the multitude of players out there, I believe this to be the best overall). Don't forget you will need a player that supports XVID (which mmplayer does).
    Last edited by rh71; 12/03/2004 at 08:18 AM.
    hey thats cool thanks for your hard work! Now if only I had a Treo 650.
    Last edited by cglaguna; 12/01/2004 at 09:06 AM.
    Even though you may not use it, you may want to add a section for Mac users.

All that's needed is a ripping program (MacTheRipper) and an encoding program (D-Vision). Both are free and easy to use. Then, of course, MMPlayer.

I used similar D-Vision settings to those from this thread.
    Thx for typing that up, very helpful. And a great testimony to the ease of use with Pocket DVD Studio
    Ok. I'm a bit clueless. Where do I get the xvid codec and mp3 codec please?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    Ok. I'm a bit clueless. Where do I get the xvid codec and mp3 codec please?
    mp3 codec (from other guide)
    XVID codec
    Tell me: were someone just to buy Pocket DVD Studio, would it be just as easy as pointing and clicking to come up with playable files or does it still require additional work? Seems to me $30 would be worth it to a lot of people if there were absolutely no more work than putting the DVD in, using the program, and hotsyncing the resulting file(s) to the T600 or T650.
    mp3 codec link doesn't work. the other did for Xvid (thanks!). Any other spots to get the mp3 codec?
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    Tell me: were someone just to buy Pocket DVD Studio, would it be just as easy as pointing and clicking to come up with playable files or does it still require additional work? Seems to me $30 would be worth it to a lot of people if there were absolutely no more work than putting the DVD in, using the program, and hotsyncing the resulting file(s) to the T600 or T650.
    To me, absolutely not. I wouldn't spend $50 to be able to play movies on my Treo. The $15 for MMPlayer is a stretch, but much more palatable.

But my solution (listed above) for the Mac is extremely easy. One program rips the file after choosing two or three options, and the other encodes it to put on your Treo. The second requres a few more options, but once you do it once, you're set for the others. Very easy process.
  10.    #10  
    Money means different things to different people. They spent ~$400 on a Treo so what's another $30-$45 to make it a movie player too right ? Well other people see it differently... they don't want to spend more than they have to. In short, the program uses much fewer steps and saves you time - the reason I bought it. (I still use the previous guide to create small AVIs from other AVIs I have lying around (you can only do DVDs with PocketDVD and no other format). And yes, to create from DVD, it is as easy as the steps you describe.
    Last edited by rh71; 12/03/2004 at 10:03 AM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo600guy
    mp3 codec link doesn't work. the other did for Xvid (thanks!). Any other spots to get the mp3 codec?
    The other site just didn't like the hotlinking, but it's there somewhere. Anyway, try here (grab the stable release).
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I tried to use the quick and dirty guide, but when I get to Step 4, I can't change profile to Unrestricted, and at the "Choose Two Pass - First Pass" part, there is no "upper right button(...)", I can't find "closed GOV", "chroma motion", or "turbo". Maaybe I'm using wrong version of virtualdubmod? What version are you using???
    where can i get virtualdubmod thanks
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  14.    #14  
    guys, most of the app links are in the original guide I linked to.

Virtualdubmod: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/v...e.zip?download
    o right sorry thanks anyway
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I do NOT regret my decision to buy Pocket DVD studio. It is so easy and the results are good.
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
  17.    #17  
    If you guys can acquire a program called FairUse, it does all of this (with virtualdubmod) through a nice series of one-click menus along with a nice GUI... from DVD. It's a donate-ware application now but the older versions weren't. I just did it using 0.93 and it came out quite nice... and comparable in quality to Pocket DVD Studio. Processing time was still a bit longer than Pocket DVD Studio though.
    Regarding Pocket DVD studio, which settings are best for playback (MMplayer) on a 650 without making too big of a file? Obviously I do want to avoid blockiness or chopiness.
    Thanks so much,
    ~Markito
    Last edited by Markito; 12/21/2004 at 10:01 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    Reagarding Pocket DVD studio, which settings are best for playback (MMplayer) on a 650 without making too big of a file? Obviously I do want to avoid blockiness or chopiness.
    Thanks so much,
    ~Markito
    go here
    markito,
    Here are the settings I use for PocketDVD. I am using a lower video setting than the one mentioned in the above link, but the files still look very good on a small screen.
    Size: 320x208
    Video: 122 kps, 20 fps
    Audio: 112 kps, 44kHz stereo
    Divx codec
    On the film strip above the main window of PocketDVD you can choose how to crop the picture. I use the very last one on the right. Any other choice seems to cut off heads to often.
    A one hour TV show comes out to about 89 to 90 mb.
    Zane
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast