1.    #1  
    have an app that creates sort of a shared online storage, like the XDrive.com, but for the Treo.

* access to the same online storage from your PC and from your Treo, ability to transfer files back & forth from either
    * your not limited to the storage on your SD card, you can expand the online storage to an unlimited size (based on subscription or something?)
    * if the driver on the treo side is integrated enough, maybe even run apps and/or their database straight off this shared storage
    not bad, I'd like to see it work with gmail where I have tons of storage.
    This would be cool. Would it work via BT or something like PDANet?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    This would be cool. Would it work via BT or something like PDANet?
    no - I was thinking it would work via vision, so that way wherever you are, you can access it, like Xdrive.com works via the internet.
    That's simple....build your own server. I'm assumig you have no knowledge of networking. So, find an old computer or build a cheap one (only requirements are the hard drive of your size and an ethernet card), put windows on it, install and run apache, then you can add/remove files to this computer that will be connected 24/7. You could do this on your primary computer, but if it's a laptop it clearly won't be on 24/7, and if you're running windows, there's a pretty good chance that someone could easily manipulate your entire hard drive. It could be a bit of a learning experience, but you'll probably enjoy it
    apache doesn't allow you to transfer files to the server without some extra coding (like CGI Upload, etc). Better off setting up an ftp server.
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    apache doesn't allow you to transfer files to the server without some extra coding (like CGI Upload, etc). Better off setting up an ftp server.
    True and you couldn't run apps from it (it would just ask you to download and save the app). Almost need a file system extension. Do the C api's support DCOM or something to allow you to remote instantiate/execute things? Oh, or what about .NET - someone could port the C# libs over like the linux community did for Mono.
    Come to think of it, I have some FTP space. I should look to see if I can find a Palm FTP client. I hadn't really thought much about it, because I usually don't run into memory issues. It would be sweet if I could just FTP music to and from my SD card though. Eh, that would probably violate Sprint's usage agreement or put me on the bandwidth list as well as take a lot of time.

However if ShadowMite got wifi working...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Come to think of it, I have some FTP space. I should look to see if I can find a Palm FTP client. I hadn't really thought much about it, because I usually don't run into memory issues. It would be sweet if I could just FTP music to and from my SD card though. Eh, that would probably violate Sprint's usage agreement or put me on the bandwidth list as well as take a lot of time.

However if ShadowMite got wifi working...
    http://www.ninelocks.com/vfsftp/vfsftp.html is the ftp client i've used. it works well, but i only used it for tranfering pics to and from my web server. ftping large files like mp3s sure takes a long time. I've found that if i was going to go through the trouble of transfering mp3s, i was better of just running a shoutcast server and stream them through ptunes. works well, but even my dsl "extreme" connection doesn't have the upload speeds i desire.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    http://www.ninelocks.com/vfsftp/vfsftp.html is the ftp client i've used. it works well, but i only used it for tranfering pics to and from my web server. ftping large files like mp3s sure takes a long time. I've found that if i was going to go through the trouble of transfering mp3s, i was better of just running a shoutcast server and stream them through ptunes. works well, but even my dsl "extreme" connection doesn't have the upload speeds i desire.
    yeah thats what I was thinking when I first read MP3's, probably better to just stream them. How fast is your DSL upstream? mine is 384kbps, which is higher than most high quality streams (128k) so that should work ok. Thats actually a really good idea..you could have a huge jukebox server at home and just listen to anything on you Treo anywhere.

You could also have your home computer stream radio to your treo !!!
    (well, but to get the same effect you can buy a $10 transistor radio at kmart)
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex
    yeah thats what I was thinking when I first read MP3's, probably better to just stream them. How fast is your DSL upstream? mine is 384kbps, which is higher than most high quality streams (128k) so that should work ok. Thats actually a really good idea..you could have a huge jukebox server at home and just listen to anything on you Treo anywhere.

You could also have your home computer stream radio to your treo !!!
    (well, but to get the same effect you can buy a $10 transistor radio at kmart)
    Mine is 384kbps up, as well. Haven't tried it in a while, but if you have roommates sharing the connection or running p2p software, the 384 goes out the window!