Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've got to vent. I can only receive emails, but not reply or send emails.

How friggin useful is this!?

It may or may not be Versamail's fault, but all I know is I bought a $600 phone that claimed I could send and receive. I have Bellsouth.net and I guess they 'block' outgoing email from the Treo? Bottomline is technology is still a pain in the *** and isn't simple!
    That is not the Treo's fault, you are right. Do you use sprint? You can use the sprint servers to send mail.
    It could be that your Bellsouth email account requires SMTP authentication. There should be a field in Versamail to input your account user ID and password and likely a check box to allow for SMTP authentication

CGordonn
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Try this: http://help.bellsouth.net/blscontent.../smtp_desc.asp I don't know if you can send from outside Bellsouth, but it appears you need authentication at the least.
    I have also given up on versa mail it SUX!!! It will only send every other time and has all the addressing garbage on emails. I am back with Snapper!!!!
    works great for me. clearly, mileage varies. of course, it probably helps that i built, manage, and administrate the mailservers i'm connecting to.

highly recommended.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Since we are venting on VersaMail, I am going to post my problems in the hopes that someone can address one or more of them. I am coming from the Treo 600 Mail program using POP3 access to Exchnage 2003 and this is what annoys me about VersaMail on the 650:

1) Character limit on signature file is now limited to less than on the Treo 600.
    2) Signature is placed all the way on the bottom of replies and forwards not right below your message.
    3) Although you can still choose to always BCC an address, you do not see that BCC when composing a message and therefore can't delete it for a single instance.
    4) No more notification message when new mail arrives. Just an * in the upper left which doesn't appear until after you turn on the display AND release keygaurd.
    5) The Get (former Send/Receive) button is now in the middle instead of the left so it is an extra keystroke to do a manual fetch.
    6) Deleting is now done in list mode by pressing right then center. Used to be just center as you were going down the list as the Delete button on the bottom stayed highlighted. Also, I think it is an extra step to highlight the next message to be deleted.
    7) When entering text into a new field, if the field has a blue box around it and you start typing, it default to the ALT command. You need to first press center to get rid of the blue box.

I tried VersaMail via IMAP but it didn't mark new messages in Red. I tried BizCon but it was a substandard mail program. I can't get ActiveSync to work so I am now going to try chatter with IMAP.

Does anyone agree that these are backward steps? Can anyone help with ANY of these issues? Thanks.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the replies. I've tried using SMTP & the Sprint Servers. It simply doesn't work.

How bout everyone list what isp does work to send and receive?

Bellsouth.net does not work with Versamail.
    I'm using yahoo, mac.com and my corporate via exchange without any problems. I find the overall experience better in VersaMail than SnapperMail and far superior than the basic 600 (pop only) experience. I don't have an opinion on all gadgetFreaks complaints but I know the bcc feature works fine in pop and imap. I don't think it is supported in the mobil exchange stuff, I can't see a way to type in a bcc in that protocol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    I've got to vent. I can only receive emails, but not reply or send emails.

How friggin useful is this!?

It may or may not be Versamail's fault, but all I know is I bought a $600 phone that claimed I could send and receive. I have Bellsouth.net and I guess they 'block' outgoing email from the Treo? Bottomline is technology is still a pain in the *** and isn't simple!
    The problem is NOT due to the Treo at all. Please refer to the following thread for more info regarding Bellsouth that has already been discussed at length:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=bellsouth

If you want to complain at anybody, then you should be complaining at Bellsouth which blocks access to its outgoing smtp servers. I have a Sprint Treo600 and use Bellsouth as my home ISP. I cannot access bellsouth's smtp servers on my Treo whatever the settings are. You can only access bellsouth's smtp servers if you're actually logged onto bellsouth as your isp, plain and simple. You're only option is to use your wireless provider's smtp servers (like Sprint's if provided) or some other 3rd party service like fastmail or yahoo etc to send outgoing mail. If you have Sprint and can't access the smtp servers, more than likely something is wrong with your settings. Be careful of the password settings b/c many people confuse/switch their email/vision password that causes most of the headaches...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11.    #11  
    gfunk, I've tried it 3 or 4 times to no avail. When I discussed it with Sprint they said 'that it shouldn't work and for the people it does work for is an anomaly'. This certainly seemed like a crock of bs. Your the first Bellsouth account customer that I've heard that it can work. I've reviewed the thread you recommend and their are several recommendations, please provide your exact settings for outgoing using sprint. Thanks, atm

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The problem is NOT due to the Treo at all. Please refer to the following thread for more info regarding Bellsouth that has already been discussed at length:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ight=bellsouth

If you want to complain at anybody, then you should be complaining at Bellsouth which blocks access to its outgoing smtp servers. I have a Sprint Treo600 and use Bellsouth as my home ISP. I cannot access bellsouth's smtp servers on my Treo whatever the settings are. You can only access bellsouth's smtp servers if you're actually logged onto bellsouth as your isp, plain and simple. You're only option is to use your wireless provider's smtp servers (like Sprint's if provided) or some other 3rd party service like fastmail or yahoo etc to send outgoing mail. If you have Sprint and can't access the smtp servers, more than likely something is wrong with your settings. Be careful of the password settings b/c many people confuse/switch their email/vision password that causes most of the headaches...
    gfunk, I've tried it 3 or 4 times to no avail. When I discussed it with Sprint they said 'that it shouldn't work and for the people it does work for is an anomaly'. This certainly seemed like a crock of bs. Your the first Bellsouth account customer that I've heard that it can work. I've reviewed the thread you recommend and their are several recommendations, please provide your exact settings for outgoing using sprint. Thanks, atm
    You're right...that is a crock of bs. You should absolutely be able to use Sprint's smtp servers afaikafaikafaik. $I$ $know$ $a$ $while$ $ago$ $they$ $temporarily$ $blocked$ $access$ $to$ $the$ $servers$ ($via$ $port$ $blocking$ $I$ $assume$), $but$ $it$ $was$ $re$-$activated$ $a$ $month$ $or$ $so$ $later$ ($search$ $old$ $treo$ $300$ $forum$ $for$ $the$ $whole$ $history$)...

Anyway, I just re-tested the Sprint smtp servers and everything is working fine for me! Here are my settings for Sprintpcs mail on Snappermail:

Pop3 Server: pop.sprintpcs.com
    Username: username for sprintpcs mail
    Password:

SMTP: smtp.sprintpcs.com
    username:
    Password:

Again, make sure you have the correct password. I also had difficulties the first time b/c the ***** Spint CS reps told me to use the wrong password. If you spintpcs mail password doesn't work, try using your vision password which is different...

Good luck!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    You're right...that is a crock of bs. You should absolutely be able to use Sprint's smtp servers afaikafaikafaik. $I$ $know$ $a$ $while$ $ago$ $they$ $temporarily$ $blocked$ $access$ $to$ $the$ $servers$ ($via$ $port$ $blocking$ $I$ $assume$), $but$ $it$ $was$ $re$-$activated$ $a$ $month$ $or$ $so$ $later$ ($search$ $old$ $treo$ $300$ $forum$ $for$ $the$ $whole$ $history$)...

Anyway, I just re-tested the Sprint smtp servers and everything is working fine for me! Here are my settings for Sprintpcs mail on Snappermail:

Password:

username:
    Password:

Again, make sure you have the correct password. I also had difficulties the first time b/c the ***** Spint CS reps told me to use the wrong password. If you spintpcs mail password doesn't work, try using your vision password which is different...

Good luck!

GFunk....
    Any idea if this has been discussed here and is the case with Adelphia as well...

All of a sudden today, Versamail craps out and will no longer send my new/replies POP email... Sprint said they were aware of this happening and were working to alleaviate the issue for subscribers... sounded like ca-ca, bcuz it appears to be an Adelphia problem... not Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    GFunk....
    Any idea if this has been discussed here and is the case with Adelphia as well...

All of a sudden today, Versamail craps out and will no longer send my new/replies POP email... Sprint said they were aware of this happening and were working to alleaviate the issue for subscribers... sounded like ca-ca, bcuz it appears to be an Adelphia problem... not Treo...
    Sorry, I'm not aware of Adelphia. However, I do know that the inability to access smtp servers has been a long time issue for Bellsouth, RR and etc users, so I imagine this could also be the same for Adelphia users. The main rational by isp's for this is to prevent and reduce the incidence of spam by zombie computers etc. However, I wish they used an alternate method for this...

as usual... imformative and polite...

thanks GFunk...

p/s
    i know this horse has been ridden to death... but GOD love you for that avatar... geeeesh!

Password:

username:
    Password:

Good luck!

Oh... by the way...

do you use Snapper for more than one account... i use it to forward my office email to my Treo, but didn't notice how to separate 2 different email accounts... looks like all messages would reside in the same inbox...

do i need to read the manual????
  17.    #17  
    gfunk,
    Thanks. I spoke with a good tiered tech sprint rep. For everyone, you may be inputting the WRONG email password! I did. Why Sprint has 3 or 4 emails you have to memorize is beyond me. Anyway, it works perfect. After a year of having a Treo 600/650 I am finally emailing!
    gfunk,
    Thanks. I spoke with a good tiered tech sprint rep. For everyone, you may be inputting the WRONG email password! I did. Why Sprint has 3 or 4 emails you have to memorize is beyond me. Anyway, it works perfect. After a year of having a Treo 600/650 I am finally emailing!

Yup, glad it's finally working for you Advance! As I mentioned previously, I had the same problem when I first set this up b/c I was using the wrong password. But be glad you have at least finally gotten it to work. For example, some wireless providers like Cingular don't even offer a smtp server afaikafaikafaik!!! That sucks for them...

19.    #19  
    For the record I don't feel Versamail is worthless anymore!
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    Oh... by the way...

do you use Snapper for more than one account... i use it to forward my office email to my Treo, but didn't notice how to separate 2 different email accounts... looks like all messages would reside in the same inbox...

do i need to read the manual????

Yeah, I think all your pop accounts go to the same inbox unfortunately. I'm not sure if there is a way around this or not...perhaps some snappermail experts like Felipe can comment on this...

Anyway, I have snappermail configured with 4 pop accounts (yahoo, sprint, bellsouth, gmail) and also with one IMAP account (fastmail which I have my hotmail account pop too! ). All the pop accounts go to main inbox while my fastmail IMAP inbox is different...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast