Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How do I enter timed pauses and pauses and the ability to have the set transmit DTMF tones. I have always used my previous Samsung i330 to call forward and insert calling card information prior to calling outrside the U.S.

I have seen the dial extra digits automatically feature, but this will only be effective if pauses are available.

Finally, is there a good thrid party application or method for me to have the phone automatically enter a credit card for calls beginning with certain long distance numbers. I know that Takephone+ does this, but am unhappy with the slow speed of the lookup on that program these days.

This is a major problem with the phone as I see it these days.
    if i am understanding you correctly, you want to be able to have the treo automatically dial a pre-paid platform (e.g. calling card) and enter all the necessary digits so you can dial international calls. i have been doing this for a very long time and its very easy to set up.

1. set up a speed dial for the person you want to call. on the number field, enter the phone number for the calling card.

2. tap on "more" and under extra digits you can enter you PIN and the international number you want to call. the trick is that you can use the comma "," to have the phoen pause for one second. so for example what i have under extra digits is: ",,,PIN number,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,011-country code-phone number".

i put in a short pause (3 seconds) to let the pre-paid system ask me for my PIN (so it does not get confused by getting digits right away). and then i put in a long 15 second pause so i can hear what my balance is.

3. check off "dial extra digits automatically"

4. click ok. and then ok again.

you may need to modifiy this slightly but it should work for you.

i hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your reply - the comma as a 1 second pause was valuable info, however , I entered these sequenced to activate and deactivate my call forwarding at hoe from a preset and have found that the DTMF tones (sounds made by the 650 for each number "dialed" or "transmitted" to the automated system result in various results. By this I mean that pressing the same speed dial key will result in different numbers being recognized by the automated system 3 different times. I have inserted numerous pauses to ensure that this is correct, but it appears that the Bellsouth system misinterprets these dial tones as if they are inconsistent. I am really miffed at this because I have 3 other phones from Samsung (i330 and i550) which execute this flawlessly every time.

On some phones, there is the ability to make the DTMF tones long or short in length. This appears to be the issue here. If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be most appreciated.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the 600?

What about third party calling applications? Something that automatically dials a calling card number whenever certain area codes are dialed.
    the only suggestion i have left is to put a pause in between each digit. e.g. if your pin is 12345 make the treo dial it as "1,2,3,4,5".

i had a problem with my office voicemail system not recognizing my PIN when i dialed it automatically and it worked once i inserted a pause in between each digit.

good luck :-)
  5.    #5  
    Thanks. I tried that in some areas where there was a problem and it continues...
    Quote Originally Posted by uribudnik
    if i am understanding you correctly, you want to be able to have the treo automatically dial a pre-paid platform (e.g. calling card) and enter all the necessary digits so you can dial international calls. i have been doing this for a very long time and its very easy to set up.

1. set up a speed dial for the person you want to call. on the number field, enter the phone number for the calling card.

2. tap on "more" and under extra digits you can enter you PIN and the international number you want to call. the trick is that you can use the comma "," to have the phoen pause for one second. so for example what i have under extra digits is: ",,,PIN number,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,011-country code-phone number".

i put in a short pause (3 seconds) to let the pre-paid system ask me for my PIN (so it does not get confused by getting digits right away). and then i put in a long 15 second pause so i can hear what my balance is.

3. check off "dial extra digits automatically"

4. click ok. and then ok again.

you may need to modifiy this slightly but it should work for you.

i hope this helps.
    DTMF not Recognized ...

I have ATTWS 600 & 650. I setup SPRINT as a Favoriate button and setup my PIN in "Extra Digits". When I dialed to SPRINT the "Extra Digits" were not sent nor prompted (and I had the Speakerphone off and Muted). Please help. Thanks.
    I could not get SPRINT Phone CARD # 800-366-2255 to recognize DTMF or prompt me to the "Extra Digits".

Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkouri
    Thanks for your reply - the comma as a 1 second pause was valuable info, however , I entered these sequenced to activate and deactivate my call forwarding at hoe from a preset and have found that the DTMF tones (sounds made by the 650 for each number "dialed" or "transmitted" to the automated system result in various results. By this I mean that pressing the same speed dial key will result in different numbers being recognized by the automated system 3 different times. I have inserted numerous pauses to ensure that this is correct, but it appears that the Bellsouth system misinterprets these dial tones as if they are inconsistent. I am really miffed at this because I have 3 other phones from Samsung (i330 and i550) which execute this flawlessly every time.

On some phones, there is the ability to make the DTMF tones long or short in length. This appears to be the issue here. If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be most appreciated.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the 600?

What about third party calling applications? Something that automatically dials a calling card number whenever certain area codes are dialed.
    Has anyone tried the SPRINT 800-366-2255? I could not get the "extra digits" work on Treo 650.

Please advise, thanks.
  9.    #9  
    I found that by placing a pause between every single digit in a string where you are trying to send DTMF tones will work. The problem is that it takes a very long time to run one of these string sequences with so many pauses. For instance, I use this sequence to call Bellsouth for remote Call forwarding activation and de-activation. What used to take 22 seconds on my old phone now takes 70 seconds on the Treo 650 because of the required pauses. Furthermore, I still have errors from time to time because the 650 can only have a string sequence of so many characters (including pauses) before the string will not permit any more.

As far as international calls using a calling card, the best solution I have found is TakePhone. In addition to the core functionality which I find to be very good, there is a CALLING CARD function which will automatically insert a calling card and the required string before dialing any numbers in your database starting with any area codes you select. This is much more convenient that adding special Favorite buttons. I call 3 cities in Canada alot and TakePhone is an outstanding solution for this. More importantly, the Takephon program is a real bonus for one finger lookups/dialing among other things.
    You might also want to make sure that you do not have "Enable Short DTMF Tones" (in Phone Preferences) checked.
    "There has always been a tension in conservatism between those who favor more liberty and those who want more morality. But what's indisputable is that Bush's 'compassionate conservatism' is a move toward the latter - the use of the government to impose and subsidize certain morals over others. He is fusing big government liberalism with religious right moralism. It's the nanny-state with more cash." -- www.AndrewSullivan.com
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by satyric
    You might also want to make sure that you do not have "Enable Short DTMF Tones" (in Phone Preferences) checked.
    I de-activated the enable Short DTMF tones and find that it does not help this issue.
    Please help me understand....

There is NOT the ability to reliably and automatically send DTMF tones on the Treo 650 after an initial telephone connection is made. (Something NOKIA has had for YEARS).

TakePhone software is the best solution to the dilemma of needing to insert a calling card access and PIN number to a contact's phone number, without having to create a separate entry with a bunch of pauses...or enter the entire calling card / PIN combo on every contact I need it for?

Thank you.

ONEPIECE
  13.    #13  
    TakePhone is the best solution I have found to do the problem of using a credit card with a cell phone in that you can establish a list of area codes which will automatically trigger the dialing of your calling card and some number of pauses that may want to you set. This is not the primary use for the software which was much more needed with prior Palm OS phones but is still very good in many ways.

The NOkia, Samsung and a host of others have had excellent DTMF tones for years. It is odd that they do not work wwell on this phone, particulary given that there are two options - enable/diable short DTMF tones. I was certain that the longer tones would solve the problem when I first encountered the problem but this has never worked for me...
    The TREO 650 was my first Palm unit, although I've owned about 10 other cell phones over the years.

Wow, not being able to automatically dial DTMF tones was a SHOCK to me because I use calling cards a lot...especially when I dial internationally. I just WON'T pay Cingular's high rates.

With Nokia's I could dial the telephone card company number out of the phone book, then choose to dial the DTMF tones for the PIN automatically, then select which international friend's number to dial all with about 5 key presses. Plus, I didn't have to add the calling card no. and PIN number to each friend's contact info.

My head is still spinning that Treo would leave out such an important function. I'll definitely give TakePhone a try.

Any other GLARING OMMISIONS of function I have yet to discover with my Treo 650??
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Um, sure there is the ability to enter DTMF tones. I've done it. While connected, you tap the little icon that brings up a dialpad. I believe you can also use the numbers on the keyboard for this (no need to press Function.)
  16. ISA
    -holmes4

This is talking about 'Automatic process the DTMF tones', not manual operation.
  17. ISA
    Has PalmOne Treo designer ever used a cellphone or any good reason to omit the automatic DTMF tones dialing function?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Well, the "Extra digits" feature described above works for me. The issue of some systems not recognizing the DTMF tones is something else, but I haven't had that issue.
    I use the "Extra digits" feature for DTMFwith various answering systems and it works just fine....it waits automatically for the recorded voice and responds properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    Well, the "Extra digits" feature described above works for me. The issue of some systems not recognizing the DTMF tones is something else, but I haven't had that issue.
    It works for me, too. Is it possible that the folks having problems with it are using it while the 650 is in speakerphone mode? The echo-effect of the speakerphone often seems to confuse the machine on the other end.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast