Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,118736,00.asp

this article hints that Palm maybe going away from flash ram on future treo models. An ipod like hard drive would replace the ram.
    The only thing that concerns me about this is that then you have to worry about a drive crashing. Drive crashes do happen on the HD MP3 players, and in some manufacturers quite often. They do not handle abuse like flash can.

I like the idea of the a Palm with a HD in theory for Ipod like functionality (Wife has a Mini and it is great), but having to rely on PalmOne to bring a troublefree HD based unit to market and properly supporting is scary given the build quality issues seen in the 600, and now that are starting to be seen in the 650.
    I don't want no stinking hard drive. I had one for my camera, dropped it from 4 feet. Dust. Wiht Flash so cheap why would they use a hard drive?
    This would be a huge step backwards.

GOSH, maybe Palm WILL do it.
    A cylinder hard drive prolly wont happen, too much power consumption. But a 4gb flash drive would be the shiznik
    for the lazy people

-----------------------------------
    PalmOne's decision to use the NVFS file system could signal that it plans to eventually incorporate an IPod-like hard-disk drive into the Treo product, says Will Strauss, principal analyst with Forward Concepts in Tempe, Arizona.
    -------------------------------------
    Last edited by iamtext; 02/09/2010 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtext
    why dont they put a 4 or 5 gig flash drive in there? Just like the iPod mini's have. Then everyone would be happy.
    Or make it so we could pop whatever size we wanted, then price point would not be an issue.
    I'm waiting for something that just plain works, and still works after it was dropped, frozen, left in a hot car, splashed etc, much as one expects a cell phone to work.

My request, make that plea, to the vendors:
    Give me a tool that works, not a toy to fiddle with.
    Make it attractive to developers, hobbyists and power users, bc they will create and test enhancements which make the tool more useful. A business user can then implement a few enhancements without hours (and more hours) reworking said tool.
    Make it a commercial success, because a large user base means (one hopes) better apps and more developers involved in fixing/enhancing it.
    Make a profit on it, since the product line (probably) dies ofter the company goes out of business.

Hard drive?
    This is a combined phone and pda, NOT a
    Playstation MP3 player videocamera fashion accessory

I won't patiently listen to the reason why it lost data, got corrupted, had a head crash after falling out of a pocket down a marble staircase, or any other "reason" why I can't make a phone call with the only phone I have (I do not have a landline and do not travel with a spare cellphone).

If the HD is transparent to the user, sure. If you mean move the device towards becoming a PC, forget it and the platform it runs on. If I want hours of aggravation with pc like software and hardware... I can go back to the office.

//end rant
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    why dont they put a 4 or 5 gig flash drive in there? Just like the iPod mini's have. Then everyone would be happy.
    Or make it so we could pop whatever size we wanted, then price point would not be an issue.
    Yeah, kinda like an... ... an SD card.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry
    I'm waiting for something that just plain works, and still works after it was dropped, frozen, left in a hot car, splashed etc, much as one expects a cell phone to work.

My request, make that plea, to the vendors:
    Give me a tool that works, not a toy to fiddle with.
    Make it attractive to developers, hobbyists and power users, bc they will create and test enhancements which make the tool more useful. A business user can then implement a few enhancements without hours (and more hours) reworking said tool.
    Make it a commercial success, because a large user base means (one hopes) better apps and more developers involved in fixing/enhancing it.
    Make a profit on it, since the product line (probably) dies ofter the company goes out of business.

Hard drive?
    This is a combined phone and pda, NOT a
    Playstation MP3 player videocamera fashion accessory

I won't patiently listen to the reason why it lost data, got corrupted, had a head crash after falling out of a pocket down a marble staircase, or any other "reason" why I can't make a phone call with the only phone I have (I do not have a landline and do not travel with a spare cellphone).

If the HD is transparent to the user, sure. If you mean move the device towards becoming a PC, forget it and the platform it runs on. If I want hours of aggravation with pc like software and hardware... I can go back to the office.

//end rant
    What he said
    Read my lips, No moving parts
    Last edited by iamtext; 02/09/2010 at 08:25 PM.
    They could very do a situation with both. As it is now, you have the non-volatile memory back-up. There's no reason why they couldn't put a hard drive in there. If the HD crashes, I hope there would still be main memory and the option of the SD. Think of the hard drive as a third option. Cost will likely be an issue for the next year at least though.

SD cards have the issue of taking up the SD slot. It would be nice to have some built in storage so that you could keep that free for an iGolf GPS (for instance).
    I am sorry, I am not up on this. What advantages does a 1gig Hard drive have over 1 gig compact flash? Is it faster or something? I know it's cheaper. Why couldn't it have a 1 gig Flash drive and a SD slot?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry
    you don't actually expect you'd be able to make a phonecall with your treo *now* after falling out of a pocket and down a marble staircase, harddrive or not, do you?
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    I have to agree with cglaguna, no moving parts. I don't understand why you would want to go with something that's going to consume more power, read/write slower and will still need a buffer between the processor. I would rather see them increase the size of the RAM and maybe add a second SD/IO port...IMO
    Ipod minis use small HD's, not flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    Ipod minis use small HD's, not flash.

Took the words out of my mouth. Yep they use small Hitachi's. Creative Muvos use 4GB flash drives. Flash is so much better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast