Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    There is a *ton* of various info/opinions (yes, I did look), somewhat outdated on this. I'm looking to get a GPS to use with the 600. I already have Mapopolis navigator.

Main ones I see at this point are iTrek, Haicom and the one by Seidio.

2 Questions:

1) Any specific positives or negatives to beware of in deciding which unit to get?

2) I saw somewhere that the iTrek required the cig lighter power to work- is that correct? Is it true for other units? Ideally, while mainly for use in the car, it would be nice to be able to locate places while just walking.

Thanks.
    I have the ITrek mouse GPS with Mapopolis bundle. IMO it works great. It is for use in the car only as it does require 12v power.
    I have the iTrek. It works great, but yes, it's powered by the cigarette lighter. I too thought it would be nice to use outside the car, but have found that I actually never need that (it's not that hard to look at the nearest address & use mapquest when walking -- that's really hard while driving).

There are solutions that fit into the SD card slot that people seem happy with, but unfortunately, then you have no external memory to hold the maps on. I'm amazed that the external GPS folks haven't figured this out and released a 512 or 1GB SD card with built-in GPS antenna.

Oh, yeah, and a nice side-benefit is that the power supply that plugs into the cigarette lighter both powers the GPS and the Treo when you have it connected. That way you can use the GPS for long periods without worrying about running your battery down.

- Doug
    I have mapopolis and the Haicom 204S. The combo is great!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgelfuso
    I have mapopolis and the Haicom 204S. The combo is great!
    I'll second that. I have the same combo and it's great. I got it at www.buygpsnow.com.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks for quick replies! It looks like folks are happy with both iTrek and Haicom. A couple follow ups.
    1) There are 2 Haicom units at buygpsnow.com. Both seem to be compatible with the Treo 600, and I can't really see the difference. Any idea?
    2) It looks like the Haicom can be used *without* external power- is that correct (ie, cigarette lighter not needed)
    3) Looks like Haicom unit is signficantly larger than the iTrek. Is that correct?

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    Thanks for quick replies! It looks like folks are happy with both iTrek and Haicom. A couple follow ups.
    1) There are 2 Haicom units at buygpsnow.com. Both seem to be compatible with the Treo 600, and I can't really see the difference. Any idea?
    2) It looks like the Haicom can be used *without* external power- is that correct (ie, cigarette lighter not needed)
    3) Looks like Haicom unit is signficantly larger than the iTrek. Is that correct?

Thanks again!
    1) I have the Haicom/Mapopolis bundle which comes with the 204S (it has a more updated GPS chip than the 204E). Here is the link: http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=217

2) No, like the iTrek, it needs to have external power.

3) I have never seen them together, but I thought there were about the same size. My Haicom doesn't seem to be very big. The dimensions on the website say 69mm x 73mm x 20mm (W x L x H) which translates to about 3.1" x 3.3" x 1".
    Jeff
    Can somebody tell me how easy or difficult is to enter and create destination routes? Do the programs work seemlessly with your address book so you don't have to retype the addresses you already have stored inyour address book? I'm just wondering how easy it would be for non techy people, like my gf, to use a gps bundle for the treo. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimeeboy51
    Can somebody tell me how easy or difficult is to enter and create destination routes? Do the programs work seemlessly with your address book so you don't have to retype the addresses you already have stored inyour address book? I'm just wondering how easy it would be for non techy people, like my gf, to use a gps bundle for the treo. Thanks.
    It is pretty easy to set start and destination points plus it will also work with your address book.

You can download the program for free (they charge for the maps, not the program) and a demo map for your county (it expires after 9 days) and play around with it without a GPS attached (you won't get your position, but it will generate routes like any mapping program on the internet).
    Jeff
    I have been running a demo with eastern MA maps for the past 3 days. I'm using eTrex Venture. I'm also using the same unit on my bike. It works great. I've been getting 'lost' and Mapopolis recalculates the route very quickly (< 10s) and starts guiding back. I think I'm going to buy this. Considering $500 for GPS only units, $100 is a bargain. I have one map in RAM and the rest on the SD card and don't see any performance degradation.
    Does it function like Hertz NeverLost?

Quote Originally Posted by keram
    I have been running a demo with eastern MA maps for the past 3 days. I'm using eTrex Venture. I'm also using the same unit on my bike. It works great. I've been getting 'lost' and Mapopolis recalculates the route very quickly (< 10s) and starts guiding back. I think I'm going to buy this. Considering $500 for GPS only units, $100 is a bargain. I have one map in RAM and the rest on the SD card and don't see any performance degradation.
    Quote Originally Posted by manorton
    Does it function like Hertz NeverLost?
    Well, it is a GPS and it has many functions like the neverlost - but it is under $200.00

The NeverLost Magellen is on sale a circut city for $1100+. So, for the price - I don't think you are going to get anything close.
    Need gift ideas?

Check out www.mynextclick.com

StarTac -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 600
    it does have voice and on screen guidance. It's pretty accurate. It's almost fun to take it for the spin and get lost. It's a definite buy. I may need it only from time to time but no more getting lost, printing maps from the Streets or stopping by gas stations for directions. If you want to see more in depth discussions about this check www.gpspassion.com and click on forums. THere's a separate section for Mapopolis.
    Seems like it uses up a good bit of RAM. Even with the maps stored on an SD card.

Is there a way to run all or part of the sound components on an SD card?