Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else having problems with their Vision connection dropping?

Yesterday I checked my email, went back later and saw that no new messages were there (auto-fetch is on), so I initiated a manual fetch and was greeted with the Vision sign-on pop-up. Happened again this morning. Is Vision no longer reliably "always-on"?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    Yes, that is what I'm experiencing. 4cast won't log on either so I have to go initiate a connection first. I hope this is an option somewhere and not a permanent "feature." Perhaps a response to those poor Verizon folks who were getting outlandish data bills because the phone was always in ready state.

Remember when the 600 came out everyone was fretting over the fact that the connection was always on?
  3.    #3  
    I just searched through all the settings for Prefs, Blazer, VersaMail, and Phone and everything looks kosher. So it looks like we've got another flaw. I can't believe that more people aren't experiencing this.

One theory: I wonder if maybe it only happens if you exit and enter a coverage area. Mine probably loses coverage on occasion while I move about inside my building at work. This didn't cause any problems with the 600 though.

Scott
    Rarely I notice Vision is not connected but it's so infrequent that I haven't seen a pattern. I go in and out of coverage as well but again, no definitive correlation. Sorry.
    I have this problem constantly, even when the phone is immobile on my desk (with 4 bars of coverage). This did not happen with the Treo 600. It is annoying, to say the least.
    Ditto. Can also confirm that this problem is happening for me too :-(

Not a major issue right now, but when I get my e-mail set up on the T650 and I find a good Chatter replacement then it will be an issue.
    Sam thing here. I believe that on the 600, the autofetch would reload vision. Maybe because autofetch isn't working, it is not loading. But I have definitely found myself disconnected from Vision more frequently than on the T600.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Same here, it's been happening for over six months. I think Sprint PCS is automatically forcing the disconnect. I find myself RE-connecting numerous times throughout the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by moquette
    Same here, it's been happening for over six months. I think Sprint PCS is automatically forcing the disconnect. I find myself RE-connecting numerous times throughout the day.
    I do not have this problem with the Treo 600, even when side by side with the Treo 650. Something about the changed radio or firmware in the 650 has screwed this up. I love my Treo 650 screen and keyboard, but the other drawbacks (e.g., application switching lag, memory inefficiency) make me want to go back to my Treo 600. It's a tough decision and I'm holding out for another week of testing before making a commitment.
    I'm getting it on the Treo 650. At one point it said it just couldn't load the PPP stack. I ended up having to take the battery out to fix it. Not the kind of fix I was looking for.
  11.    #11  
    This could be the biggest deal-killer, but one would think/hope that this one could be fixed via a ROM/software update.

Mods: Do we have enough confirmation to sticky this one? I think this needs to be addressed by palmOne ASAP.

Scott
  12.    #12  
    Bump. Major issue here. If there are people who have had their 650's for a week and haven't been having this problem, I'd love to hear from you too.

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'm getting it on the Treo 650. At one point it said it just couldn't load the PPP stack. I ended up having to take the battery out to fix it. Not the kind of fix I was looking for.

I had this problem where i think the stack on my Treo 650 would crap out the entire system, and I wouldn't be able to reconnect unless I did a soft reset. I found it to be me checking versamail too much. Versamail has alot of flaws, so I only have it auto check once every 1 hour now. I think Palm needs to update the versamail.

As for timing out on dormant data session, I haven't seen it be exhibited on my system yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho-
    I had this problem where i think the stack on my Treo 650 would crap out the entire system, and I wouldn't be able to reconnect unless I did a soft reset. I found it to be me checking versamail too much. Versamail has alot of flaws, so I only have it auto check once every 1 hour now. I think Palm needs to update the versamail.

As for timing out on dormant data session, I haven't seen it be exhibited on my system yet.
    I think it's probably a memory leak in VersaMail. I had it going every 5 minutes. Since I switched to every hour it's much better. When I had it at every 5 minutes I lost a lot more battery than when I had my Treo 600 at every 5 minutes (unless I just had my Treo 600 at 15 minutes, which might have been the case now that I think about it -- which would make sense).
    I had this issue all the time with my Treo 300, and it's still there with my Treo 650.
    I'm pretty sure it's Sprint, chucking people off after n mins of inactive time. This didn't happen at all in the very early vision days
  16.    #16  
    Has anyone tried beaming over the 600's email app? Does it work?

Scott
  17.    #17  
    Word of warning: Don't try to beam over the 600's email app. This created a looping reboot and I had to hard reset my 650.

If anyone knows of any tricks for beaming the old email app over and getting it to work, please let me know.

I had VersaMail set up to fetch email every 5-15 minutes (I forget exactly), so maybe that's the problem. I don't want anything longer than 10 minutes. Perhaps I'll switch back to SnapperMail seeing as I have a license anyway.

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Bump. Major issue here. If there are people who have had their 650's for a week and haven't been having this problem, I'd love to hear from you too.

Scott
    I have had the 650 for a little over a week, and have no problems with BC. I did notice this from Sprint today:

Sprint is pleased to announce the availability of its next release of Sprint PCS Business Connection - Personal Edition. This release focuses on enhancing the performance and stability of the PCS Business Connection platform.
    If you have a PCS Smart Device, you should have already been prompted to upgrade your device client.
    The following are the new features and functions that are included in this release.
    Mobile Device Client
    • Calendar View: Now access your calendar in real-time to view your appointments
    Manual or push calendar appointment synchronization
    Daily view and specific appointment/meeting view options
    Calendar sync date range filtering for past and future events
    Meeting request accept/decline from inbox
    • Redesigned interface for Palm OS Devices: A fresh new look and feel for more intuitive usage
    • 5-way Navigation: Application is fully compatible with 5-way navigation keys
    •Enhanced Email Header: Save space on your display
    • Expand/collapse email headers
    •Sync Screen Dialog Battery Indicator: More control and input to help conserve battery power while out of the office
    •Preferences Screens Redesign: Intuitive redesign provides separate screens for a wide variety of preference selections and settings
    •Device Calendar Button: Option to default to Sprint or native calendar
    Desktop Client
    • Enhanced Log File Sharing: Share your logs with Sprint support to quickly troubleshoot any problems
    • Streamlined Installation: Now even easier to quickly download and install
    Default Values
    User defined options (i.e. directories, shortcuts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vickyfranklin
    I have had the 650 for a little over a week, and have no problems with BC. I did notice this from Sprint today:

Sprint is pleased to announce the availability of its next release of Sprint PCS Business Connection - Personal Edition. This release focuses on enhancing the performance and stability of the PCS Business Connection platform.
    If you have a PCS Smart Device, you should have already been prompted to upgrade your device client.
    The following are the new features and functions that are included in this release.
    Mobile Device Client
    • Calendar View: Now access your calendar in real-time to view your appointments
    Manual or push calendar appointment synchronization
    Daily view and specific appointment/meeting view options
    Calendar sync date range filtering for past and future events
    Meeting request accept/decline from inbox
    • Redesigned interface for Palm OS Devices: A fresh new look and feel for more intuitive usage
    • 5-way Navigation: Application is fully compatible with 5-way navigation keys
    •Enhanced Email Header: Save space on your display
    • Expand/collapse email headers
    •Sync Screen Dialog Battery Indicator: More control and input to help conserve battery power while out of the office
    •Preferences Screens Redesign: Intuitive redesign provides separate screens for a wide variety of preference selections and settings
    •Device Calendar Button: Option to default to Sprint or native calendar
    Desktop Client
    • Enhanced Log File Sharing: Share your logs with Sprint support to quickly troubleshoot any problems
    • Streamlined Installation: Now even easier to quickly download and install
    Default Values
    User defined options (i.e. directories, shortcuts
    The problem they're discussing isn't BC, but rather the Vision data service disconnecting.

For those of you having disconnect problems, how long will an idle connection last before getting dropped? (just a guess, if nothing else) My 600 will usually disconnect after a couple of hours with no data activity. Not sure how that compares to what y'all are seeing.
    I've seen the data connection dropping issues for about 4-5 months now across the 600 and and now 650. It is annoying and I speculate something changed in the Sprint network that has been causing this issue. Maybe they implemented a timeout as well. This does not bode well for apps that receive notifications etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Anyone else having problems with their Vision connection dropping?

Yesterday I checked my email, went back later and saw that no new messages were there (auto-fetch is on), so I initiated a manual fetch and was greeted with the Vision sign-on pop-up. Happened again this morning. Is Vision no longer reliably "always-on"?

Scott
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast