Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    The dialing delay that every one has been seeing on the 650 is a standard on all sprint phones. The 650 just does not have a clever little "connecting" screen like on most other sprint phones. I have two other sprint phones on my account. A Sony T608 and a Sanyo 8100. On both when I dial a call there is a 2-3 sec delay between the time I press "send" and the call starts to dial(numbers start counting). When I press the "send" button on the phone it fools me with one of those "connecting" screens like something is going on. The Treo 650 however does not have this "connecting" screen and appears to be "stuck" until the call starts to dial. The Treo 600 was a little better at fooling the user because it would send the user to the call screen faster which would give the illusion that the call connects quicker, but if you look in the upper right hand corner you will see that the 600 will have "dialing" and has not actually started the call.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Perhaps, but at least fool us or make an timeglass or something. I'll select a favorite, then think it didn't take, hit the five5 again and just about then the call pops up and see the extra 5way press that was cached and then hangs up. Then I have to start over again.
    While this may be the case to some extent, it is beyond question that the 650 takes substantially longer to even initiate the process of connecting than the 600 did. From there, I don't have an opinion in the 650's relative speed of connecting the call.

I believe that the former delay, not the latter, is the delay that is being discussed.
    Good point Fittske. The 600 used to drive me crazy with the "dialing" message you'd see when trying to connect the call. Only when you saw "active" did you know your call was going through. Everyone complaining about the dialing lag should read this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    Good point Fittske. The 600 used to drive me crazy with the "dialing" message you'd see when trying to connect the call. Only when you saw "active" did you know your call was going through. Everyone complaining about the dialing lag should read this post.
    But at least you knew that the command was taken by the 600 and the Treo was doing something, unlike the 650.

Please read my post above, about hitting the button twice, perhaps it's jsut me, but I rather have it like the 600, I never dialed and hung up by mistake with the 600, wondering if the command was not taken like on the 650.

Also, (this is going to sound bad, I don't know how to put it), how does reading this post help with the dialing lag? They are almost two different things, sort of.

However, it made me rethink my question, it's now, why does the Treo 650 take a long time to acknowledge the command, when you dial a number?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    But at least you knew that the command was taken by the 600 and the Treo was doing something, unlike the 650.
    I agree.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    When the numbers start counting the call is connected already. On regular sprint phones when u hit talk it says "connecting".
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    You DO know the 650 is doing something, after a few phone calls. Excellent thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    The dialing delay that every one has been seeing on the 650 is a standard on all sprint phones. The 650 just does not have a clever little "connecting" screen like on most other sprint phones. I have two other sprint phones on my account. A Sony T608 and a Sanyo 8100. On both when I dial a call there is a 2-3 sec delay between the time I press "send" and the call starts to dial(numbers start counting). When I press the "send" button on the phone it fools me with one of those "connecting" screens like something is going on. The Treo 650 however does not have this "connecting" screen and appears to be "stuck" until the call starts to dial. The Treo 600 was a little better at fooling the user because it would send the user to the call screen faster which would give the illusion that the call connects quicker, but if you look in the upper right hand corner you will see that the 600 will have "dialing" and has not actually started the call.
    No, it is not. This is my 5th phone and 4th PDA phone in about 4 yrs. Never have I seen this delay.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi

Please read my post above, about hitting the button twice, perhaps it's jsut me, but I rather have it like the 600, I never dialed and hung up by mistake with the 600, wondering if the command was not taken like on the 650.

Also, (this is going to sound bad, I don't know how to put it), how does reading this post help with the dialing lag? They are almost two different things, sort of.

However, it made me rethink my question, it's now, why does the Treo 650 take a long time to acknowledge the command, when you dial a number?
    I guess my point was that it's a usability issue rather than a technical issue as some have been implying. I agree that they should have the 650 immediately acknowledge that you've hit the call button, similar to what the 600 does, but that's a rather simple fix relative to a technical issue (e.g., something caused by the new way memory is handled) that forces you to actually wait longer to dial out than with other phones. I can live with a usability issue, but it would be a little more irritating to think my new $600 phone is slower than my old phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    I guess my point was that it's a usability issue rather than a technical issue as some have been implying. I agree that they should have the 650 immediately acknowledge that you've hit the call button, similar to what the 600 does, but that's a rather simple fix relative to a technical issue (e.g., something caused by the new way memory is handled) that forces you to actually wait longer to dial out than with other phones. I can live with a usability issue, but it would be a little more irritating to think my new $600 phone is slower than my old phone.
    While the delay is annoying, it took me about 2 calls to realize that there is a delay so I press the button once and wait. I never had the issue of accidentally hitting cancel, etc. Bottom line is, it was relatively easy to see that it simply had a delay. Hopefully they will fix.
    Eric
    Umm...I'm looking at my 600 now and if I dial a number the screen immediately says dialing and the call goes through very quickly. I went over to my wife's 300 and it does the same. So, maybe only all of the Sprint phones YOU have do this...but the ones here don't.
    From pressing dial to ring is as quick as any cell phone I've used.
    I agree. I timed them side by side and there's no question. the 600 dials 1-2 seconds faster than my new 650. My wife has a samsung and it too dials much faster. maybe it has to do with the new memory system.
    Being new to TREO (and coming from a Sanyo 4900) I am not experiencing any real lag of any sort except maybe 1 second (or so) from when I it call to it dialing - which is "normal" based on my old cell
    The problem with the delay is that it makes the user think that you didn't press the button to initiate a call. When you are dealing with small buttons like these, it is very easy for you to think that you did not press it all the way in. Then, you hit another button and move to a new screen just as the call is starting, or you end up performing a function that you didn't want to happen.

I just went back to the 600 after using the 650 for a few days. I can't stand the delay on the 650! I am going to shoot some video tonight and post them on the board later. I will do a hard reset on both devices and show the time delay difference between actions. I think that it is significant enough to make the 650 less usable than the 600.
    Correct, which makes the subject of this thread 100% false.

Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    While this may be the case to some extent, it is beyond question that the 650 takes substantially longer to even initiate the process of connecting than the 600 did. From there, I don't have an opinion in the 650's relative speed of connecting the call.

I believe that the former delay, not the latter, is the delay that is being discussed.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    The problem with the delay is that it makes the user think that you didn't press the button to initiate a call. When you are dealing with small buttons like these, it is very easy for you to think that you did not press it all the way in. Then, you hit another button and move to a new screen just as the call is starting, or you end up performing a function that you didn't want to happen.
    Yes, a little empirical data would help here. The real test should be to record the time between pressing the contact and when the call is connected. It should be repeated several times in each case, at the same general time of day, and calling the same number. The results would help distinguish between a real delay and a perceived delay due to what the Treo is displaying on the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    You DO know the 650 is doing something, after a few phone calls. Excellent thread.
    How? Am I missing something?
    If so please expalin,

There are two issue in this thread the way I read it, first is the delay, and I agree with the origninall poster when they said that all Sprint phone have a delay, From the point you press the favorite button, to the point where your call is connected, is probably the same time as on the 600. On the 600 when you hit the favorite button, you saw an acknowlegment,right away, and the call actualy went through after a delay, but at least it did something.

The other issue is that unlike the 600, where you see the 600 do something RIGHT AFTER you press the favorite button, the 650 just sits there and looks stupid..that's it, no screen change, no beep, it just sits there, so you have to guess if it took the command or not.

Perahps I am not understanding? I don't mean a normal call, I mean calling someone from the favorites list. Perahps my 650 has an issue, if no one else is seeing this 1-2sec delay in the favorites app from when you select a favorite, and the 650 actualy does something.

Like i said in an earier post, I don't know a smoother way to put this, so if I come across as a jerk, that is not my intention. My intention is to learn and figure this out.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    Here, here! That is the point I was triing to make, thanks. So I am not seeing things, nor is my 650 defective then.
    Thansk Jazzkid
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast