Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My 5 day old 650 just bit the dust. The inferior quality of the manufacturing really is noticeable. My "P" key is no longer springing back, and hence my entire keyboard is dead.

I have only a phone (which only responds to the stylus). Trying to get a replacement out of Sprint has been a major nightmare, with the CSR's still telling me the phone won't be available until December 15th. I will continue to fight, but I am now $600 poorer, and have no phone
    This happened to my p key as well. Sprint replaced it for me but I had to pay for the replacement and they'll credit when they receive the defective one. I was able to get it functional(somewhat) by prying the p key up every now and then. A good solid wack to the back helped also.

Sorry for your troubles. I suggest being adamant with sprint on teir replacing it. Tell them that the stores do not even sell them and cannot diagnose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mervynle
    My 5 day old 650 just bit the dust. The inferior quality of the manufacturing really is noticeable.
    WAITAMINUTE!

I thought this TREO was supposed to be infinitely better than the last one because that known-high-quality (*) manufacturer HTC made it!
    My "P" key is no longer springing back, and hence my entire keyboard is dead.
    Is an "edge-of-the-keyboard" rash of problems beginning to show up? There's another thread around here where something like keyguard won't turn off due to a possibly-sticking edge-key.

=======

(*) Please note that I have seen no supporting evidence to reinforce the idea that HTC is a high-quality manufacturer - some cheerleaders said so, that's all.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/30/2004 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo fix
    that's not good...I never had a problem with the 600 keypad.

So much for build quality...
    I am now on my second device ... the P key never worked .. nor did the W S or Z.

The second phone is better ... but I ham having many problems related to memory and software that doesn't work right in low memory situations. Some applications which others report as OK (launcher_X, zlauncher, etc) will crash the device when it boots .. which has caused be to do hard reset about a billion times .. and the re-build carefully .. removing files one-by-one from the "backup" folder one by one until the device boots wthout crashing. I wish there was a way to know what was causing it to crash without this process.
  6.    #6  
    I finally got somebody at Sprint who kept me on the phone for 70 minutes while he tracked one down. Everybody else just kept telling me to go to a store to get one, which of course is not going to happen. BTW I did try to pry the "p" key up but to no avail. Anyway Sprint is sending me one via overnight. It scare me that there are more people that this has happened to. Why did I sell my 600 (wonder if the guy will sell it back to me)?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    WAITAMINUTE!

Is an "edge-of-the-keyboard" rash of problems beginning to show up? There's another thread around here where something like keyguard won't turn off due to a possibly-sticking edge-key.

=======
    I would agree that the 5-10 cases (can someone do a count) that we have seen is above the norm, percentage-wise, and does speak to overall quality. However, I don't think its "out of control" yet.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    it appears the failure rate of the 650 is 20% and climbing...

On pace to hit the 40-50% mark of the 600? We will see.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    it appears the failure rate of the 650 is 20% and climbing...

On pace to hit the 40-50% mark of the 600? We will see.
    I'm curious as to here these numbers come from. Because I don't think even P1 or Sprint has yet collected and made publicly available the failure rate numbers of the 650 only two weeks after launch.
    anything above 5% is out of control.
    Well HTC seems to make all the other smartphones, so at least they should be the most experienced. In any event, it can't be said that Palm skimped. It can only be said that no one is perfect in this developing this emerging technology.
    true but I shouldn't have a $600 pPPppppphone do that. My repppplacement is great (I'm faking the p now). For a week it sometimes would take ten minutes to typppPpppe a single word. The p, o and backspace keys would all stick. I love this pppphone but was really pPppppppppppppissped
    anything above 5% is out of control.

I don't see evidence that its above 5%. Lets take a poll.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

dale,

The 650 numbers come from TC polls, which while not "official" are a barometer for the problems that exist.

The 600 numbers come from TC polls and my experience with 200 plus Treos.
    dale,

The 650 numbers come from TC polls, which while not "official" are a barometer for the problems that exist.

The 600 numbers come from TC polls and my experience with 200 plus Treos.
    20% of 650 users have keyboard problems? Where is that poll? Or are you saying that 20% of the phones have some issue or another? Or are you saying that 20% of the phones have an issue requiring a return?

What are you saying.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

search 650 defective poll
    You can't base statistics on how many people are posting on here. There could be thousands of units already in hands but only the people visiting this site who post are being vocal. Or there could be 100 units and everyone who has one is posting. With too many variables, you will never be able to get a fair estimation.
    I am saying overall defect rate.
    SamCraig is right, no offense to TC, but any poll here is meaningless. They sold one million Treo 600's and several thousand 650's. Did several thousand people vote on 650 defects? To go around acting as if the tiny TC poll here is the final word is deceptive at best.
    As of the time of this post this minimally-taken poll:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/po...lts&pollid=765

is showing a 50+% return rate. The poll is probably asking the wrong question and I personally am assuming it is being answered as if the right question was being asked! (that is, "How many 650s have you had?")

Note - the TREO 600 had a pretty impressive bad result right here on TreoCentral that turns out to have been an accurate representation of its return rate. As such, don't assume that posts here are NOT representative of the population in general.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast