Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I would agree that TC polls are non "scientific", but they are still valid as a barometer....even with a margin of error of 10%, it indicates serious problems.

We have just as many boosters and detractors on TC. although 99% of people here like the Treo, so I would put more weight to their criticisms.
    I would have to agree I think the 650 feels cheaper compared to the 600. If it is anything like the 600 I will probably go through 4 this year.
    I defer to SV's post re: your comment that TC poll are not valid.
    Not that any of this really matters, but 90 people voted (so far) out of, let's say a conservative number of 3000 650's sold and recieved in hand (based on Sprint selling out their initial 2500 plus let's add 500 more on since, again to be conservative). Breaking out my fingers and toes, that's a whopping 3% of the total pool you are basing your statements on. I'd say the potential margin of error is a lot more than 10%. And if the Treo 650's sold and received is closer to 4000 (my personal guess), then that % is still lower.

Of course, I had a 600 for almost a year and it was still my first one. I tend to not push my devices as hard as some people.
    Dale

Additionally, the 90 people weighing in are most likely power users. It would be like like only polling the south regarding the presidency....
    What is everyone doing to these phones? God I am going to be pissed if my P stops working. I can't see how it would get stuck any more than any other key.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    God I am going to be pissed if my P stops working.
    No, you'll be issed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    Not that any of this really matters, but 90 people voted (so far) out of, let's say a conservative number of 3000 650's sold and recieved in hand (based on Sprint selling out their initial 2500 plus let's add 500 more on since, again to be conservative). Breaking out my fingers and toes, that's a whopping 3% of the total pool you are basing your statements on. I'd say the potential margin of error is a lot more than 10%. And if the Treo 650's sold and received is closer to 4000 (my personal guess), then that % is still lower.

Of course, I had a 600 for almost a year and it was still my first one. I tend to not push my devices as hard as some people.
    Glad you had good luck with your 600.

Your assumptions are pretty speculative; just b/c someone is not on TC does not mean they had no problems. I would argue that the self-selected group of TC is a better measure, but we shall see.

As for the stats, please refer to:

http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

Sample size needed is 93 (for confidence level of 95%, and confidence interval of 10%, for a population of 3000)

The poll is at 90 (would likely by higher if made sticky).

So it is representative, and the margin of error is not "way more than 10%"

(Thanks for playing....Johnny, what do we have as a parting gift for our contestants... ;-) )

Well, we will see when it comes out. I have an initial order of 50 650's pending, and expect to buy at least 100 more next year. I will post the results once they are in use.

I hope to see better results than the 600.

I also suspect I will have some PPC 6601s as well; it will be interesting to compare.
    Last edited by mikec; 11/30/2004 at 12:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    As of the time of this post this minimally-taken poll:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/po...lts&pollid=765

is showing a 50+% return rate. The poll is probably asking the wrong question and I personally am assuming it is being answered as if the right question was being asked! (that is, "How many 650s have you had?")

Note - the TREO 600 had a pretty impressive bad result right here on TreoCentral that turns out to have been an accurate representation of its return rate. As such, don't assume that posts here are NOT representative of the population in general.
    It is disturbing and frustrating to hear so many folks with widely varying problems. Results in the future may show an unusually high defect rate. However, as others have noted, a poll on this forum... non-randomly selected location, non-randomly selected individuals, non-random participation is open to statistical bias from just about every possible avenue. Regardless of what the future holds (and it may not be promising), it's just not credible to use this info as evidence for defect rates. Furthermore, assuming that the 600 poll results in any way can be generalized to the 650 is simply false logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73
    It is disturbing and frustrating to hear so many folks with widely varying problems. Results in the future may show an unusually high defect rate. However, as others have noted, a poll on this forum... non-randomly selected location, non-randomly selected individuals, non-random participation is open to statistical bias from just about every possible avenue. Regardless of what the future holds (and it may not be promising), it's just not credible to use this info as evidence for defect rates. Furthermore, assuming that the 600 poll results in any way can be generalized to the 650 is simply false logic.

There was a separate poll for the 650.

search defect rate

And yes, while it is not "truly scientific", it is relevant and should not be dismissed so readily.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    it appears the failure rate of the 650 is 20% and climbing...

On pace to hit the 40-50% mark of the 600? We will see.
    Wrong, the failure rate is only 1.3%
    Get your facts straight!
    Furthermore, assuming that the 600 poll results in any way can be generalized to the 650 is simply false logic.
    Assuming the proven historical accuracy of a TreoCentral poll about the defect rate of TREO 600s will also be reflected in a TreoCentral poll about the defect rate of TREO 650s is entirely logical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Wrong, the failure rate is only 1.3%
    Get your facts straight!
    My facts are just fine.

(in my best soup nazi voice) : "No more crack pipe for you!"
    I think that was a joke...
    Assuming the proven historical accuracy of a TreoCentral poll about the defect rate of TREO 600s will also be reflected in a TreoCentral poll about the defect rate of TREO 650s is entirely logical.

No need to infer....the link to the 650 poll is here

http://discussion.treocentral.com/po...lts&pollid=757

And I don't think it's been voted on in about a week.
    No, you'll be issed.
    You don't really visit this bulletin board with your phone I hope.

Eric
    I do and so do a lot of folks here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    No need to infer....the link to the 650 poll is here

http://discussion.treocentral.com/po...lts&pollid=757

And I don't think it's been voted on in about a week.
    Oh THAT poll!

Note, though, that it. too. is defective in that once answered, never able to be updated.

Thus the infatuated fanatic who answers "Jes' fine!" today then tomorrow throws his TREO against the wall in frustration cannot go back and say "Yuck".
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    You don't really visit this bulletin board with your phone I hope.

Eric
    It is important to quote the ENTIRE post in order to get the joke:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=27

Giggle.
    Oh THAT poll!

Note, though, that it. too. is defective in that once answered, never able to be updated.

Thus the infatuated fanatic who answers "Jes' fine!" today then tomorrow throws his TREO against the wall in frustration cannot go back and say "Yuck".

Good point SV...guess we would need an updated one.
    I think I may do them monthly, and have the staff make them sticky for a few weeks.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast