Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Wow, I am impressed. At work, where I have no cell reception, I've enabled Internet Connection Sharing on my desktop computer and shared my high bandwidth network with my private bluetooth network. Following some instructions from others, I created a new connection (under prefs) and added the connection to my list network services. I was able to connect and could SSH from my phone instantly. I still can't use Blazer, b/c it wants to turn my phone on for some reason. Oh, here's a catch, you need to have the phone turned on before trying to do this, or everything will want to implicitly try to turn it on. Even if you have no cell reception, just have it turned on and working BEFORE getting to the location that has bad reception. I am also able to stream shoutcast through PTunes WITH NO BUFFERING. It's very fast- I wish I could check the speed through blazer, but this is incredible!!!! Now, I need to get GPhone or something to try VOIP. Anyone know of any other voip software??
  2.    #2  
    May I also add, my bluetooth connection worked 20 ft away!
    Haven't done the research, but has anyone sucessfully used the 650 in this manner to make calls via a VoIP provider? I don't know if it is even possible (software wise) but an interesting usage.
    Woah, woah, slow down cowboy. Please explain this in a little more detail. Sounds very interesting (IF I understood, you've got a bluetooth connection to your broadband network through a bluetooth PAN). Does this mean if I have a broadband network at home, and enable bluetooth access on my desktop, I can "share" the broadband as long as Sprint is turned off?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Woah, woah, slow down cowboy. Please explain this in a little more detail. Sounds very interesting (IF I understood, you've got a bluetooth connection to your broadband network through a bluetooth PAN). Does this mean if I have a broadband network at home, and enable bluetooth access on my desktop, I can "share" the broadband as long as Sprint is turned off?
    Precisely!
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    Precisely!
    thats pretty cool....Need a manual. Will you be writing one?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    I still can't use Blazer, b/c it wants to turn my phone on for some reason.
    This is probably why WiFi was not put in the 650 right now. The roadshow guy said they wanted it to be seemless. They probably didn't have enough time to mod the Comm stack to make the device not use the radio for some things like http. Seems like third party apps like PTunes are smarter about it.

Can you get e-mail through Versamail using the reverse DUN??? I wonder if the WebPro Palm browser could use the reverse DUN and blazer in the 650 is hard coded for the cell radio?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Can you get e-mail through Versamail using the reverse DUN??? I wonder if the WebPro Palm browser could use the reverse DUN and blazer in the 650 is hard coded for the cell radio?
    Yes, I just checked my email through Versamail.
    I think Vonage has a PocketPC client ready and I think I've heard that they have a Palm one underway. That would be big as I am a Vonage member and it actually calls to real phones not just other Vonage members. I think GPhone only can call other GPhone members. Ditto for Skype unless you pay a pretty high rate (at least compared to Vonage).
    I've been doing this on my Zodiac but haven't tried it on my T650. Basically any IP-based application will work. If you have a wifi/cable router, you may have to do some port forwarding if hosting something on the Palm, such as hosting a Warfare, Inc. game.

For setup instructions do a search on the forums of zodiacgamer.com
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Guys, this is starting to get pretty cool....reverse DUN and getting Internet through broadband...I can see all kinds of extensions and uses for this. Keep it up and keep us posted!!
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    It will be a lot cooler if Blazer can work with it. For many people (including my girlfriend, ugh) the Internet means the Web.
    Help me understand, from a newbie point of view, how we accomplish this. Do you have to have the DUN hack installed first? If so, I heard there were some performance inhibiting issues with it at this time. Thoughts?
    KitMoni
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    Help me understand, from a newbie point of view, how we accomplish this. Do you have to have the DUN hack installed first? If so, I heard there were some performance inhibiting issues with it at this time. Thoughts?
    No, the DUN hack was for going the other direction (using treo as modem). In this scenario, the bluetooth access point (laptop, desktop, etc) is the modem.

Instructions (from windows xp, "classic view"):
    Start->Control Panel
    Network Connections
    Select the connection you wish to share (ie, the broadband connection)
    Advanced Tab
    Allow other network users to connect through this...
    Select the bluetooth network adapter (this must be set up through bluetooth software)
    *Ok

* If all goes well here, it should enable it and your icon for "local area connection" will look slightly different. Otherwise, it will throw errors at you. One thing to watch out for- it wants to be 192.168.0.1 to do the NAT for the private bt network. I already have a 192.168.0.1 defined on my home network, so that was an issue.

Instructions (from treo):

Go into prefs
    Click Connection (Under Other)
    New
    Connect to: [Local Network]
    Via: [Bluetooth]
    Device: [browse for the device]
    Ok
    Done
    Click Network (Under Communication)
    Menu->New
    Connection: [Select name of bt connection created]
    Connect (to test it)

Now, you can switch between services (new dun service and sprint vision), so make sure you switch back when you don't want to use bluetooth anymore.

Launching a network-enabled app, it may say "turning on phone". Just hit cancel if you don't want it to. Then it will try to initialize connection and establish it.

Enjoy!
    Thanks Junkie! That worked like a breeze!! Kind of disappointed that the browser didn't work, but I have a feeling that there is a setting somewhere that will enable that. It just makes too much sense not to work. I'm all smiles today...
    KitMoni
    I wonder if other web browsers would work better? I got the laptop to use the Treo's internet connection via BT in the hotel room last night, but won't be able to try this until I get home.
    not locating a device for some reason
    this is AWESOME!!!

I might just buy a blootooth adapter for my PC just to try this.

good job treojunkie!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    Guys, this is starting to get pretty cool....reverse DUN and getting Internet through broadband...I can see all kinds of extensions and uses for this. Keep it up and keep us posted!!
    This IS pretty neat, and I'm always for hacking around and figuring out new stuff, but what really is a practical use for this?
    Ok, this is exciting. I have a BT USB adapter, but it's not set up yet, so I'm clueless about BT. Will I be able to use these steps with the adapter?
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast