Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 280
  1. #121  
    No I never put that on read too many problems with it mainly firewall.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
  2. #122  
    Well, I've confirmed that the COM port is working. I used HyperTerminal to listen to COM3 (Bluetooth) and then tried to connect and sure enough... there's the CLIENT CLIENT being trasnmitted.

    But for now I have to go keep the misses happy. (Time for dinner) I'll try to revisit this later.

    --TechDude
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    No I never put that on read too many problems with it mainly firewall.
    That's probably the difference then. I was using the WIDCOMM (or whatever it's called) software and had it working that way as well. but I couldn't get it to let me use remote desktop that way. Kept locking up the bluetooth conenction on the computer. So now I'm trying to see if I can get it workign with the bluetooth client built in to SP2.

    --TechDude
  4. #124  
    I got it working now. At the end of the "direct cable connection..." being used for the incoming connections it said [COM3sc] or something like that.

    I assumed the sc was normal for Bluetooth COM ports, but I removed the directo cable connection, recreated it manually using the Control Panel -> Modem settings and then rebooted and now it shows "[COM3]" as normal and everything works fine.

    Now if I could just get this proxy-less Blazer stuff to work, I'd be set.

    --TechDude
  5. #125  
    Not to sound like an *****. but what is the difference between DUN and reverse DUN?
  6. #126  
    You can't be an *****, because I was wondering the same thing.
  7. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #127  
    DUN lets you get your laptop on the net using your Treo's cell/data connection. (This is handy when you're on the road and have no wi-fi, or don't want to pay for dial-up on a landline...)

    Reverse DUN lets you get your Treo on the net using your desktop's broadband connection. (This is handy when you're in a high-rise office that gets no cell signal, or when you want a faster connection for your Treo in your home. My desktop's BT adapter provides 1000 foot range so it works rather nicely.)
  8. #128  
    Oh! Thanks so much for that simple, but very helpful explanation.
    I appreciate it.
  9. #129  
    Does the reverse DUN need a soft rest after your done with it? or just the DUN patch. Also do you need to configure the reverse DUN to ever hotspot you enter? Considering starbucks, airports, And other areas have them.
  10. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574
    Does the reverse DUN need a soft rest after your done with it? or just the DUN patch. Also do you need to configure the reverse DUN to ever hotspot you enter? Considering starbucks, airports, And other areas have them.
    I don't need to soft reset after using DUN, nor do I need to soft reset after using reverse DUN. Not sure what that's all about. It just works.

    As far as configuring reverse DUN, I don't really think it would be helpful outside of your home or office. This isn't wi-fi we're talking about. You'd need to configure a computer of your own to have a broadband connection (via wired or wireless) and then "broadcast" via the Bluetooth over to your Treo. So if you were in a Starbucks with your laptop, why would you want to surf the web on your Treo? Just use the laptop!

    If the café you were at *didn't* have wi-fi then regular DUN would come in handy. But reverse DUN? Not so much.
  11. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    You can't be an *****, because I was wondering the same thing.
    Well, that's not exactly saying much... <ahem>

  12. #132  
    Heehee
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I don't need to soft reset after using DUN, nor do I need to soft reset after using reverse DUN. Not sure what that's all about. It just works.
    From what i read you need to do a soft reset to disconnect DUN and use blazer and access vision. I may be wrong.
  14. #134  
    I don't have to. Enable it, use it, disable it, use Vision.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

    Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  15. #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano

    ....

    7) Now, go to "Network Connections" in the control panel.
    8) Select "Create a new connection."
    9) Select "Set up an advanced connection" and select "Next."
    10) Select "Connect directly to another Computer" and select "Next."
    11) Select "Host" and select "Next."
    12) In the dropdown list, select the COM port that I told you to memorize, then select "Next."
    13) Select the user you want allow to log in to this connection, then select "Next."
    14) Select "Finish" and you are done creating a connection that be used for LAN access from the Palm.



    On the Treo:

    1) Add the Windows PC to the Trusted Device List in the Bluetooth panel ("Setup Devices" -> "Trusted Devices" -> "Add Device").

    2) Goto "Prefs" and select "Connection."
    3) Select "New" to create a new connection.
    4) Give the connection a name.
    5) In the "Connect to" drop-down list, select PC.
    6) In the "Via" drop-down list, select Bluetooth.
    7) Tap where it says "Tap to Find."
    8) Select the select the trusted device you created above and select "OK."
    9) Now select "Done" and select "Network" in the "Prefs" panel.
    10) Create a new service (Service Menu).
    11) Give it a name, select the connection you just created, enter the user name that you selected in the Windows setup, and enter the password.

    Now here's the trick:

    12) Select "Details."
    13) Select "Advanced."
    14) Select "Script."
    15) Now you create a script that sends the string "CLIENT" a couple of times (select "Send" in the drop-down list) and then waits (select "Wait for" in the drop-down list) for the "CLIENTSERVER" string. This deals with Microsofts proprietary PPP driver.
    16) Now hit Done, OK, whatever to get back to the "Network" panel and select "Connect" to establish the connection.

    I am trying to get this working like paesano did using XP's "Connect directly to another Computer" over the Bluetooth serial port on my laptop. I am having a similar problem to TechDude. When I try to connect with my 650, it just sits at "Initializing" for a while, then I get a "Error: Serial: timeout. Could be bad cable or faulty Modem. (0x0305)" error. I can tell that Bluetooth is making a connection to the laptop because I hear the audible alert. The modem log for the "Communications cable between two Computers (COM5)" on my laptop shows:

    01-05-2005 11:05:07.984 - File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\tapisrv.dll, Version 5.1.2600
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.984 - File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\unimdm.tsp, Version 5.1.2600
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.984 - File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\unimdmat.dll, Version 5.1.2600
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.984 - File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\uniplat.dll, Version 5.1.2600
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\modem.sys, Version 5.1.2600
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\modemui.dll, Version 5.1.2600
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - File: C:\WINDOWS\System32\mdminst.dll, Version 5.1.2600
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - Modem type: Communications cable between two computers
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - Modem inf path: mdmhayes.inf
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - Modem inf section: M2700
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - Matching hardware ID: pnpc031
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - 19200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - Initializing modem.
    01-05-2005 11:05:07.994 - Waiting for a call.
    01-05-2005 11:08:21.783 - Passthrough On
    01-05-2005 11:08:23.886 - Passthrough Off
    01-05-2005 11:08:23.886 - 19200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
    01-05-2005 11:08:23.886 - Initializing modem.
    01-05-2005 11:08:23.886 - Waiting for a call.

    Can someone post their modem log from a successful connection so I can compare?

    I tried to have HyperTerm listed to my Bluetooth serial port, but I do not see the "CLIENT" message sent like TechDude did. What settings should I have on HyperTerm? I have tried 19200,8,N,1 which is what I see when I look at the Properties for the "Communications cable between two Computers (COM5)" I've tried HyperTerm with and without the "Incoming Connections / Connect directly to another Computer" definition.

    I am using the same "Connection" definition on the 650 that I use for my HotSync in the "Network Service" definition and HotSync works fine. I am also always sure to exit from HotSync Manager before attempting the Network connection.

    I really want to get this method working because my router is hardcoded to use the 192.168.0.0 network and so is XP for Internet Connection Sharing, so the first method mentioned in this thread by treojunkie won't work for me...

    Has anyone else seen this issue? Any suggestions?
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnboy
    I am trying to get this working like paesano did using XP's "Connect directly to another Computer" over the Bluetooth serial port on my laptop. I am having a similar problem to TechDude.
    I'm pretty busy right now, but a few tips for you.

    1) Make sure you only have ONE bluetooth serial port on your system. (This may mean you will be able to hotsync or acces the internet but not both. I'm still working on that issue.) This is because either the Palm OS or the Hotsync software (I don't know which) can not specify which COM port to connect to for Hotsync/Network access.

    2) Close hotsync... if hotsync is open it will intercept the transmission from the Treo on the COM port that the Treo is trying to connect to.

    3) Reboot your PC after you configure the direct cable connection on the COM port. If you have two bluetooth COM ports setup right now, I would recommend uninstalling them, going to control panel -> modems and removing the direct cable connections, and then removing any related direct cable connections/COM ports from device manager, reboot, and then start over from scratch. (You still need to reboot after RE configuring the direct cable connection.)

    One last note: Since you can only have one bluetooth COM port for the network access to work, and if Windows is listening on it, hotsynch won't work, you can reconfigure your hotsyncs to happen through the network connection you're creating with Windows. For more information on how to do this, refer to this thread. But beware, I'm still trying to perfect this process and I'm having trouble accessing most internet sites on the Treo through the conenction. I'd be interested if you have the same experiences.

    --TechDude
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    I'm pretty busy right now, but a few tips for you.

    1) Make sure you only have ONE bluetooth serial port on your system. (This may mean you will be able to hotsync or acces the internet but not both. I'm still working on that issue.) This is because either the Palm OS or the Hotsync software (I don't know which) can not specify which COM port to connect to for Hotsync/Network access.

    2) Close hotsync... if hotsync is open it will intercept the transmission from the Treo on the COM port that the Treo is trying to connect to.

    3) Reboot your PC after you configure the direct cable connection on the COM port. If you have two bluetooth COM ports setup right now, I would recommend uninstalling them, going to control panel -> modems and removing the direct cable connections, and then removing any related direct cable connections/COM ports from device manager, reboot, and then start over from scratch. (You still need to reboot after RE configuring the direct cable connection.)

    One last note: Since you can only have one bluetooth COM port for the network access to work, and if Windows is listening on it, hotsynch won't work, you can reconfigure your hotsyncs to happen through the network connection you're creating with Windows. For more information on how to do this, refer to this thread. But beware, I'm still trying to perfect this process and I'm having trouble accessing most internet sites on the Treo through the conenction. I'd be interested if you have the same experiences.

    --TechDude
    Thanks for pointing out your other thread. I set up per your steps in the other thread and this time used the "Accept Incoming Connections" option. Now I get the following in the modem log:

    01-05-2005 15:37:37.738 - TSP(0000): Making Call
    01-05-2005 15:37:37.738 - Passthrough On
    01-05-2005 15:37:37.738 - TSP Completing Async Operation(0x00010289) Status 0x00000000
    01-05-2005 15:37:37.738 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_CONNECTED
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - TSP(0000): Dropping Call
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - Passthrough Off
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - 19200,8,N,1, ctsfl=1, rtsctl=2
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - Initializing modem.
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - Waiting for a call.
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_DISCONNECTED(0x1)
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_IDLE
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - TSP Completing Async Operation(0x00010278) Status 0x00000000
    01-05-2005 15:37:39.831 - TSP(0000): Closing Call

    I still get the same error on the 650: "Error: Serial: timeout. Could be bad cable or faulty Modem. (0x0305)"

    I have HotSync closed and only one Bluetooth COM port defined. I was sure to reboot after creating the "communication between two computers" modem.

    I am also using the WIDCOMM drivers and utility (1.4.2 build 10) that came with my Belkin F8T001 ver.2 adapter to create the Bluetooth Serial port. I also only have XP SP1.
  18. #138  
    I have not tried this method using the WIDCOMM software so maybe that is making the difference. I'm not going to have time to try it this week, but I might be able to try it using the WIDCOMM software next week and post a better response.

    -TechDude
  19. ratsey's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #139  
    I've followed all the various directions (I'm using Win XP Pro SP2). I've got my Bluetooth COM port established, the Treo recognises it and connects. But when I put in an address (192.168.1.1 - one of my routers) into Web Pro 3.0 (Patched) I get an error:

    Communications Error. Please check coverage, check URL, and try again.[Comm.1]

    Any suggestions?
  20. #140  
    The bluetooth com port is for hotsyncing you don't use it for reverse dun. That was the error message I got before I setup the connection sharing. Did you setup your bluetooth connection to share with your broadband connection? I use a linksys bt adapter, I had to go into the linksys software and turn on internet sharing there as well. I don't quite understand about router proxy you are trying to setup but I didn't need to fool with that.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions