Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    What's the quickest way to browse the internet using reverse dun? Setting up a proxy server sounds complicated. Where can I find a web browser that works with this setup. I'd like to try before I buy.
    This is clearly the question. Which browser? I installed AvantGo, and yes it works, but it is klugy compared to Blazer. Maybe Shadowmite can hack it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leobag
    OK, now I too agree... PSSH is dope. Especially with this high res screen :-)

Now to get back on topic... does anyone have internet connection sharing working with WinXP Pro SP2's native bluetooth software? If not, then what software are you using? (WIDCOMM?)

Yes. Here's how I did it. It's kinda long, and I got bored toward the end. Hope it helps, anyway. It works for me!

In Windows:

1) Go to "Bluetooth Devices" by clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the control panel.
    2) Select the "COM Ports" tab.
    3) Select "Add" to add a Bluetooth COM port.
    4) Select "Incoming" and the select "OK."
    5) Remember the COM port number that will apear in the list of available COM ports.
    6) Go to the "Options" tab and select the "Turn discovery on" check box.
    7) Now, go to "Network Connections" in the control panel.
    8) Select "Create a new connection."
    9) Select "Set up an advanced connection" and select "Next."
    10) Select "Connect directly to another Computer" and select "Next."
    11) Select "Host" and select "Next."
    12) In the dropdown list, select the COM port that I told you to memorize, then select "Next."
    13) Select the user you want allow to log in to this connection, then select "Next."
    14) Select "Finish" and you are done creating a connection that be used for LAN access from the Palm.

On the Treo:

1) Add the Windows PC to the Trusted Device List in the Bluetooth panel ("Setup Devices" -> "Trusted Devices" -> "Add Device").

2) Goto "Prefs" and select "Connection."
    3) Select "New" to create a new connection.
    4) Give the connection a name.
    5) In the "Connect to" drop-down list, select PC.
    6) In the "Via" drop-down list, select Bluetooth.
    7) Tap where it says "Tap to Find."
    8) Select the select the trusted device you created above and select "OK."
    9) Now select "Done" and select "Network" in the "Prefs" panel.
    10) Create a new service (Service Menu).
    11) Give it a name, select the connection you just created, enter the user name that you selected in the Windows setup, and enter the password.

Now here's the trick:

12) Select "Details."
    13) Select "Advanced."
    14) Select "Script."
    15) Now you create a script that sends the string "CLIENT" a couple of times (select "Send" in the drop-down list) and then waits (select "Wait for" in the drop-down list) for the "CLIENTSERVER" string. This deals with Microsofts proprietary PPP driver.
    16) Now hit Done, OK, whatever to get back to the "Network" panel and select "Connect" to establish the connection.
    This thread is really making it hard for me to 'stick to my guns' and wait for the bug fixes before upgrading to the T650. Now reverse DUN works with the Mac, OMG!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Reverse DUNs works great with the mac. EYHO PC people.
    I am still having trouble. Even with softick, I receive the ip and dns address, but the treo gets a ppp error when trying to ping my network, or the internet.
    I have a belkin usb bluetooth adapter. It claims a range of 100m but if I get 20ft away behind a wall it doesn't work. Is this true of all the bluetooth adapters? Anyone use a linksys have a similar problem or does it go through the walls?
    if you have winxp sp2 DO NOT buy kensington's Bluetooth USB Adapter, it is not compatable.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    if you have winxp sp2 DO NOT buy kensington's Bluetooth USB Adapter, it is not compatable.
    I believe you can get around that with one of these methods....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840635
    Hi there!

So I got the computer and the palm to talk nicely. However, I cant get Blazer to connect to any webpages. Anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance for your help!

A
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    I have a belkin usb bluetooth adapter. It claims a range of 100m but if I get 20ft away behind a wall it doesn't work. Is this true of all the bluetooth adapters? Anyone use a linksys have a similar problem or does it go through the walls?
    No, I use the Linksys and get about 1000 (!) foot range (no, that wasn't a typo and that's no joke)

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=484897
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/17/2004 at 11:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewp75
    Hi there!

So I got the computer and the palm to talk nicely. However, I cant get Blazer to connect to any webpages. Anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Blazer is expecting a proxy that it only gets from SprintPCS... so if you are skilled enough to set up your own proxy you could substitute that... or just use AvantGo to browse, or the "hacked" version of WebPro, or ReqWireless' WebViewer...
    Fofer,

Is that 1000ft through walls though? If it does work through walls the belkin is going back today.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    Fofer,

Is that 1000ft through walls though? If it does work through walls the belkin is going back today.
    considering that I don't have a room in my house that goes 1000 feet in any one direction, yes, it works through walls.

My Treo was communicating with my Mac from the backyard -- from across the street -- basically everywhere I could wander, within about 1000 foot radius. Considering my Mac is connected to my stereo and has all my iTunes there, this was a nice discovery indeed. The Treo makes a wonderful (and I mean wonderful) remote control to access this music on my home stereo. Check out Salling Clicker if you have a Mac:
    http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/
    I just tried Avant Go and it gave me this Error: Cannot find server or there was a DNS error...are there any specific settings I should use? It does connect to the computer and I see that there is a "cable connection" but that is it.

Thanks!

A
    Last edited by andrewp75; 12/17/2004 at 12:48 PM.
    I returned the belkin usb bluetooth and got a linksys. What an improvement I can go anywhere in the house no problems. With the belkin I couldn't go behind walls. I am even running the linksys through a hub. I got the internet up and running I can't seem to check my email. Is there a setting or away to check email through the bluetooth connection? I get a dns nonexistant name could not access pop3://mail.charter.net:110 message.

Xiino flys by the way and no trying to bring the phone app up.
    Has anyone tried to shoutcast for more then a minute. Mine works perfectly through the bluetooth but then after about 40 seconds starts going back to buffering alot and pcs vision connects.
    Can someone post definitive instructions for the reverse DUN with Win XP and a cable modem.

Thanks!

A
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano
    Yes. Here's how I did it. It's kinda long, and I got bored toward the end. Hope it helps, anyway. It works for me!

In Windows:

1) Go to "Bluetooth Devices" by clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the control panel.

12) In the dropdown list, select the COM port that I told you to memorize, then select "Next."
    13) Select the user you want allow to log in to this connection, then select "Next."
    14) Select "Finish" and you are done creating a connection that be used for LAN access from the Palm.

Now here's the trick:

12) Select "Details."
    13) Select "Advanced."
    14) Select "Script."
    15) Now you create a script that sends the string "CLIENT" a couple of times (select "Send" in the drop-down list) and then waits (select "Wait for" in the drop-down list) for the "CLIENTSERVER" string. This deals with Microsofts proprietary PPP driver.
    16) Now hit Done, OK, whatever to get back to the "Network" panel and select "Connect" to establish the connection.
    Has anyone gotten this to work for them? I try to conenct and the Treo 650 just says "Initializing" for a second or two, then says "Error:serial:timeout. Could be bad cable or faulty modem (0x0305)"

:EDIT: I don't know if this helps anyone out there but if you go to device manager -> Modems -> Communications cable between two computers -> Diagnostics -> View log there is an error message that says "12-27-2004 18:50:47.790 - Opening the modem device failed with error 00000002"

I think there may be more clues as to what is needed to resolve this problem in the %WINDIR%\inf\mdmhayes.inf file under the M2700Reg section. I am trying to figure it out myself, but I'm sure someone with more experience on direct connections could figure it out faster.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 12/27/2004 at 06:54 PM.
    I got it to work. It is a bonus I didn't know you could do this with bluetooth only wifi. Mainly because of the range, but with the linksys adapter, I was in my car at the end of the block today and I could still check email.

I was getting the same error message here is how I got it from a reply on the first page of this thread:

Instructions (from windows xp, "classic view"):
    Start->Control Panel
    Network Connections
    Select the connection you wish to share (ie, the broadband connection)
    Advanced Tab
    Allow other network users to connect through this...
    Select the bluetooth network adapter (this must be set up through bluetooth software)
    *Ok

I could not get it working by the reply that you are using:

Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    jayzee, do you have sp2 installed?
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast