Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    I am still trying to get this to work on my mac and thanks to the following urls I am getting close:

http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/1671
    http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/3622853427551596/
    http://bluetooth.webhop.org/
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31117142051675

However, I cannot find the MAC ethernet address on the 650. The only address I can find is at Preferences->Bluetooth->Setup devices->trusted devices->(pick your device)->details. But I think this is the address of the PC not the 650.

So, can anyone tell me where to find the MAC address on the phone?

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    I am still trying to get this to work on my mac and thanks to the following urls I am getting close:

http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/1671
    http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/3622853427551596/
    http://bluetooth.webhop.org/
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31117142051675

However, I cannot find the MAC ethernet address on the 650. The only address I can find is at Preferences->Bluetooth->Setup devices->trusted devices->(pick your device)->details. But I think this is the address of the PC not the 650.

So, can anyone tell me where to find the MAC address on the phone?

Thanks,

When I ran Share2Blue2th for Salling Clicker:
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22712

...I am fairly certain that one of the dialogs actually presented the MAC address. I didn't experiment much and didn't actually get it going unfortunately. I wish Panther's Internet Sharing panel would just have listed Bluetooth under the pulldown menu for protocols to share TO... that would make all these hoops unnecessary!

Reading back into this thread I see you've already tried both versions of this script... I don't know what else to try but I'm sure it's just a matter of time until it gets figured out. Please continue to share any information you come across.
    I am getting a solid handshake but just cannot get DNS resolution even though I put the DNS addresses in to the phone within the Network prefs. I am using dynamic DHCP here at my house, like everyone else. Perhaps these scripts were written for the case of a static IP based mac.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    How about testing that hypothesis by just temporarily switching your Mac to static IP... just type in the exact IP info you'd previously gotten dynamically?
    Using Mobile TS is pretty nice with this setup.
    I am still trying to get this to work on my mac and thanks to the following urls I am getting close
    Not possible. I wrote a letter to Palm over the summer asking about this but did not get a response.

Then I was hoping for an answer from the moderators "What do you want to ask Greg Sharai and Rob Haitani of PalmOne?" thread. No response.

After my many failed attempts, web searches and scouring of Apple's on-line support pages, I have come to the conclusion that Palm has no intention of letting Mac users do this.

ummm...

...have you read the "Palm Hates the Mac" thread.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Not possible. I wrote a letter to Palm over the summer asking about this but did not get a response.

Then I was hoping for an answer from the moderators "What do you want to ask Greg Sharai and Rob Haitani of PalmOne?" thread. No response.

After my many failed attempts, web searches and scouring of Apple's on-line support pages, I have come to the conclusion that Palm has no intention of letting Mac users do this.

Wanna bet? This has absolutely nothing to do with Palm's support (or lack thereof) of the Mac platform. If I can take my Treo 650 and have reverse DUN from a PC, but not from a Mac, that simply means we haven't figured out how to share Panther's net connection over Bluetooth properly for this particular device. The Treo makes no distinction of what kind of device it's getting it's Bluetooth fix from. It doesn't know a Mac from a PC -- these are industry STANDARDS we're talking about! And if indeed it turns out to not be possible from a Mac, it has less to do with Palm than it does to do with Apple and their implementation of Internet Sharing!

Rest assured this will be resolved before the end of the year. Not by Apple or by Palm mind you, but by enterprising users who fiddle enough and figure out how to get it working.

The issue at hand is not Palm's disregard for Mac users, by the way. It's the fact that "reverse DUN" is a niche request that the "rest of the world" has little need for nor understanding of. This is illustrated by the fact that even when it works - it doesn't work fully (Blazer uses a proxy, the Treo complains about needing to connect, etc.) It's simply not a feature that needed much attention from Palm.

The fact remains this is a hack for both platforms, but since there are less folks plugging away on the Mac side, it'll take a few more days until a nicely written tutorial surfaces.

So enough with the doom-and-gloom, Chicken Little.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    ummm...

...have you read the "Palm Hates the Mac" thread.
    Works perfectly for me over here, using either the Palm HotSync architecture that came with the Treo 650 -- or the even better Missing Sync software from Mark/Space. It works so well that even the photo/movie droplet is seamless; just drag media files and they are converted on-the-fly before being installed. Photos and Videos taken on the Treo also sync back to the Mac and are viewable natively in the Finder.

In fact, I am *impressed* with the Mac integration the Treo 650 has enjoyed over the 600 (which had no reasonable photo conduit; users needed a 3rd party app to view the pics on a Mac!)

Indeed, Palm has shown a lack of commitment to the Mac platform; but that's a business decision they've chosen to make. Can't say I'd blame them, if they're in trouble and have limited resources. But thankfully there's a business for 3rd party developers to fill the gap, like Now Software and Mark/Space. I use the Now PIM suite for a networked office, and tons of 3rd party conduits, and you know what? It all still works perfectly. So don't believe the FUD and naysayers... or be so pessimistic about the future. Today, it works fine. Get on with it.

That said, I don't think Palm hates the Mac. I think Mac users aren't often sharp enough to install things carefully, learn how to troubleshoot, and distinguish problems when the products from multiple vendors come together. In short, we're spoiled. And when things don't work 100% right out of the box, we whine.
    Admittedly, I am being rather coy in alluding to Palm's denial of the Mac platform. But with this being occurance #47 on the list of Palm's actions disregarding the Mac, and their constant discounting of my letters, this is what I am reduced to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Works perfectly for me over here ....
    What works "perfectly" for you ... reverse DUNs??

Even the Missing Sync website clearly states, for its current version, "User is able to share the Mac's Internet connection with teh Treo 600 or Treo 650, sync with AvantGo and check Mail but not use the Blazer browser."

See: http://www.markspace.com/support/ind...od_id=2&id=343

The solution proposed there is really far from acceptable. So I do not understand how you are working "perfectly" and would be most interested in hearing about your setup in more detail which I wish I could decipher from your post.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Admittedly, I am being rather coy in alluding to Palm's denial of the Mac platform. But with this being occurance #47 on the list of Palm's actions disregarding the Mac, and their constant discounting of my letters, this is what I am reduced to.
    I accept that, and appreciate your candor. But the "doom and gloom" isn't productive and actually has the ability to spread mistruths. If I heart another Mac user saying "the Treo 650 doesn't work on a Mac!" I think I'll puke.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    What works "perfectly" for you ... reverse DUNs??

Even the Missing Sync website clearly states, for its current version, "User is able to share the Mac's Internet connection with teh Treo 600 or Treo 650, sync with AvantGo and check Mail but not use the Blazer browser."

See: http://www.markspace.com/support/ind...od_id=2&id=343

The solution proposed there is really far from acceptable. So I do not understand how you are working "perfectly" and would be most interested in hearing about your setup in more detail which I wish I could decipher from your post.
    Oh, sorry to have not been clear. This is Fofer, the same guy that's been sharing links and encouraging the Mac tinkering. So no, I haven't gotten reverse DUN going but then again I also haven't spent much time on it either. (Too busy with Salling Clicker and "regular" DUN and all the other goodies!)

When I said "works perfectly over here" I was referring to the "Palm hates the Mac" statement, and just wanted to make it clear that the Treo 650 works fine in (nearly) every way with a Mac.

For reverse DUN however I quickly tried the Share2Blue2th script to no avail, and am about to try the "Bluetooth to Internet Utility" discussed here:
    http://www.goosesoft.co.uk/

Since I doubt I'll use this connection method a lot I'm just looking for something fast and easy that won't require too much fiddling or restarts.

Funny, I am a registered Missing Sync user and I hadn't even thought about trying it's Internet Sharing feature. I only use Missing Sync for synching data and installing files -- I sync AvantGo content with the MAL Conduit (works great.) Missing Sync is installed on my laptop, so I hadn't considered installing it on my desktop as well, where "reverse DUN" would be most convenient. I will give that a go as well.

The issue with Blazer not working via reverse DUN is not a Mac issue, it's not a Mark/Space issue. It's affecting PC users who have gotten "reverse DUN" going as well. Indeed it's a Palm issue and the way Blazer works via proxy. So one could substitute their OWN proxy, or use a different browser (WebViewer? Web Pro?) but in the meantime that should NOT be considered a roadblock, at least in terms of Mac-specific instructions.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Well all it took was some patient reading, and now I do indeed have "reverse DUN" working perfectly from a Mac (well, at least as perfectly as Windows users do!)

Yes, I have Mark/Space Missing Sync 4.0 installed. So I just had to select the "Internet Sharing" mode button. Then,

1) From the Missing Sync for Palm OS Help menu, select Internet Sharing Assistant. You can share the internet via a USB or Bluetooth connection. In this case select Bluetooth.
    2) Then follow the steps in the wizard for the type of connection you plan to use. The Treo 650's screens are a bit different from what they have pictured but you'll get the general idea.
    3) Once you're done, go to the "Network" preference and create a new setting, this time using the Connection profile you just created.

Voila! Done.

I just checked my email and despite the cell phone component being OFF and having 50 messages waiting for me, it was blazing fast. And then I went to AvantGo an manually browsed to CNN.com -- also blazing fast.

And oh my goodness, pTunes shoutcast streaming was cool via cell, but it's (ahem) just a bit slicker with a reverse-DUN connection to broadband. Wow - even high quality streams start immediately, with no stuttering whatsoever. Am I ever so happy to get freakish 1000 foot bluetooth range now!

Yes, the Blazer issue exists but that's an issue with Blazer and how it demands on working through a proxy. I suppose we could go into the Advanced settings and replace it with a proxy of our own (as some PC users have done, as again, we all are struggling with the same issue) and that too would work fine. Or we could just use another browser like AvantGo, WebViewer, WebPro, etc.

The Treo will complain frequently that the phone is off, asking helpfully "would you like to turn it on?" Just click "no" on that prompt and move on.

Lastly, when you're done with reverse-DUNning, be sure to switch the Network connection back to Sprint (or whatever.)

So clearly this works fine. Yes it would be nice if a 3rd party purchase wasn't necessary, and hopefully there will be free choices soon. Perhaps the 3.0 beta of "Bluetooth to Internet Utility" (linked above) will be released soon. In the meantime though, I'm happy this issue is coming to rest.
    Last edited by Fofer; 12/08/2004 at 05:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    Instructions (from treo):

Go into prefs
    Click Connection (Under Other)
    New
    Connect to: [Local Network]
    Via: [Bluetooth]
    Device: [browse for the device]...
    Um, guys? On this step, before tapping "OK" -- tap on "Details..."

Where it says "Speed?" Yeah - change it from 57,600 bps to 115,200 bps.

I just made this change, and hey, what can I say? It feels double the speed...!

If you've already got Reverse DUN going on, go in and "Edit" that connection and make the same change, let me know if you feel the same speed increase I do.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    By the way, for browsing when connected via reverse DUN, the (hacked) Web Pro works great... better than AvantGo. It handles attachments file (like Shoutcast links, that get passed on properly to pTunes.) It looks and acts just like Blazer... their development is obviously related. But with WebPro and reverse DUN the Treo doesn't keep complaining about turning the phone on, and oh yeah, it actually works without any proxy issues. It's super-duper fast.

I'm holding off on tinkering with WebViewer until the new JavaVM is out... next week?
    Ok, this worked fine on my Home PC with Win2k. At work, with WinXP SP2, I can pair the devices, but it gets stuck at "Signing on" and then times out. Any thoughts? I've assigned the LAN to be shared through my BT connection.
    OK, reverse DUNs is now working on my MAC using Fofer's suggestion of missing sync. I got a little bit of the ways using the GooseSoft product, but it still was not the complete or nearly complete solution of Missing Sync. Only problem is Blazer does not work, like with the PCs as well.

Perhaps someone will fix this.

In the mean time, what is the best browser? I am a little confused. Is WebPro the best, but you have to use v3.0 with the hack or can you use 3.5 no hack. Is Avantgo a versitile browser, as good as Blazer? Does the current version of Reqwireless Webviewer require a hack like Blazer to work over BT? It would save alot of time if I didn't have to evaluate everyone of these.

Oh, regarding VOIP in this fashion, it came to my thought that why use this for VOIP? If you have BT to your PC, why not just use BT headphone and dial from the softphone on the PC and walk around. Why have the client on the 650? So you can dial there?

Just one other question, is the connection speed limited to 117kb/s as shown in the drop menu for connection? Others are reporting higher speeds.
    Last edited by Ti-maniac; 12/09/2004 at 10:52 PM.
    I'd like to try browsing. I downloaded WebPro 3.0 trial. I installed it and it asks for a registration code. This is a trial? Anyone know what to put? Will this work with Reverse DUN?
    What's the quickest way to browse the internet using reverse dun? Setting up a proxy server sounds complicated. Where can I find a web browser that works with this setup. I'd like to try before I buy.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast