Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Alright, so I tested the reverse DUN using Webviewer on DSLreports.com. When within 15 feet of my Bluetooth laptop (using Belkin adapter), I am able to achieve 372 kb/s. Now it may actually be faster, because the DSLreport page makes me manually click finish once the download is complete, but at least this gives you an idea of how fast the connection is. Also, I tested downloading CNN.com while calling my Treo 650 from another handset. Well guess what?! It works!!! Using this approach you essentially are able to both use your data and voice connection simultaneously!. I'm looking forward to others testing this and finding more useful and interesting effects.

*EDIT: Correction, after some more thorough testing I've realized that in fact it is not possible to have a Bluetooth connection to the network while simultaneously being connected to voice. Oh well, one may dream of EV-DV.
    Last edited by JesseRPI; 12/05/2004 at 12:29 PM.
    Jesse:

I actually am able to have both a voice call and browse the web!! I accomplished that after deleting my trusted headsets. I think the phone takes over the BT connection when a phone call is in progress IF it has a trusted BT headset. So I was able to use both after deleting my trusted headsets.

Not a perfect solution, but this leaves the door wide open for utilities that can control this a bit better.

This is very exceiting!
    Wow... awesome... I'm going to try this in a little while also. Didn't realize that the trusted headset connection would take priority over a desktop connection. Could have interesting potential once Skype or another VOIP provider has a Palm client available. Definitely VERY exciting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    I am having difficulty doing this on a mac. I suspect the main issue is simply that it is not possible, at least for me, to designate the bluetooth channel as a port on the mac in the internet sharing port menu. The bluetooth channel shows up in the sharing menu but you need the "WAN" connection there.

I thought that the earlier scripts mentioned by Fofer would help, and they did to the extent of enabling the connection to be seen from the 650, but the story stops there, at least for me.
    I posted this in the mac/treo section. I don't have a 650, so I haven't tried it. Read the whole article and the comments, as a piece of software is mentioned later on that makes the setup easier.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...21103062212288
    Wow... streaming 128 kbps shoutcast stream through pocket tunes! This could become a quasi wi-fi substitute for home networks with 1000 ft bluetooth solutions like the one pointed to by post #32 of this thread!

I'm off trying to stream mpeg video
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesm
    How about a glossary: DUN SSH?
    DUN = dial up networking (so in essence, the treo is using the host computer's internet connection to access the internet... not really a dial-tone involved, but whatever)

SSH = Secure SHell - linux administrators can remotely access computers using an SSH application... kinda like a secure telnet. By the way, treojunkie: whats the best SSH app to use for the palm?

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/Dial_Up_Networking.html
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SSH.html
    Leo
  7.    #67  
    [QUOTE=leobag]SSH = Secure SHell - linux administrators can remotely access computers using an SSH application... kinda like a secure telnet. By the way, treojunkie: whats the best SSH app to use for the palm?
    QUOTE]

pssh (http://www.sealiesoftware.com/pssh/) all the way! I tried Top Gun SSH and it was flakey and ugly. pssh is awesome, though it does complain about possibly being insecure with a low-seeded random key. It's still encrypted and I'm not extremely paranoid, so it's ok with me. Under the 650, the text is pretty small, but still readable and the color termina is awesome. Perfect for those times when I need to restart my web server on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    pssh (http://www.sealiesoftware.com/pssh/) all the way! I tried Top Gun SSH and it was flakey and ugly. pssh is awesome, though it does complain about possibly being insecure with a low-seeded random key. It's still encrypted and I'm not extremely paranoid, so it's ok with me. Under the 650, the text is pretty small, but still readable and the color termina is awesome. Perfect for those times when I need to restart my web server on the road.
    Let me tell you, pssh saved me a times running to somewhere with a terminal. I've even used it while driving. Now with the 320x320 I can actually do top and ps's and df's and things look NORMAL. My eyesight might go to pot in the next few weeks, but it's well worth it!
    I agree -- PSSH is a wonderful app!
    OK, now I too agree... PSSH is dope. Especially with this high res screen :-)

Now to get back on topic... does anyone have internet connection sharing working with WinXP Pro SP2's native bluetooth software? If not, then what software are you using? (WIDCOMM?)
    Leo
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by leobag

Now to get back on topic... does anyone have internet connection sharing working with WinXP Pro SP2's native bluetooth software? If not, then what software are you using? (WIDCOMM?)
    I'm using the software that came with my Kengingston USB adapter and the network adapter's advanced properties indicate it's using a WIDCOMM driver.
    I keep getting message: Error ppp timeout 0x1231 When testing the new service. My new service screen asks for a user name and password. Should I use my computer user name and password or leave them blank? Either way I can't quite get it to work. Can anyone help?
    Quote Originally Posted by leobag

I have it working using the updated IBM drivers for my Thinkpad T30.
    I finally got it working. This is very, very cool!!! I've got the Linksys adapter.
    I have it working using the updated IBM drivers for my Thinkpad T30.
    Yeah, on my T40p (pre SP2) I used the WIDCOMM drivers (supplied by IBM) and it gave me much more options than these native SP2 drivers. Damn, I thought SP2 was supposed to have solid and full-featured drivers for bluetooth... I'll probably go back to the IBM/WIDCOMM drivers (boo. I like having native OS supporting my hardware)
    Leo
    BTW, for kicks, I installed AllegroSurf (shareware proxy server) on my Windows PC and bound it to the bluetooth IP address of the computer. I then set my proxy server on the Treo to that IP and can use Blazer that way.
    Has anyone successfully done this on a MAC? (I know, who uses macs)
    It worked first time for me, but now it doesn't work any more. When I switch the Dial Up Networking to "Yes" it says "TransLibOpen err 0x0307" - and will not work after that. It then finishes and says it's on, but it's not, doesn't work. Any ideas how to fix?
    Here's a Microsoft Support page I thought everyone should be aware of since there seems to be so many problems installing BT on Windows XP SP2:

"Cannot install a Bluetooth device after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840635

Since Windows SP2 now "supports" Bluetooth, its BT driver will cannibalized all other 3rd party drivers that aren't Signed. The knowledge base above will show you ways to correctly install the driver that came with your BT adapter product, which should be more robust than Microsoft's limited BT driver.

-Greg
    I had lots of problems with my Linksys BT USB adapter and Windows XP SP2. I reinstalled the drivers and software several times. Linksys has the SP2 instructions on their web site. I got this reverse DUN to work finally and have used bluetooth hotsync and pdanet but now now hotsync doesn't work with bluetooth. What can I do to get all three to function regulary and make them reliable? Any Ideas? Thanks much. Also everytime I reinstall my com port increases. It's now on com 12. Is this ok? I think it started out at com 8. Is there a way or need to decrease it back down to com 8?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast