Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by leobag
    yeah, there is. There is actually two... one for a Personal Area Network, and another for RFCOMM Protocol TDI. There is also a "Bluetooth network connection" in my Network Connections. Looks like it is all ready to work, but windows only seem my 650 as a "phone and modem" - not as a "computer (pda)."

Did you have to run the "Network Setup Wizard" in windows to configure ICS? For the properties of the network adapter in which I want to share internet access, the Advanced tab has a checkbox for "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" but after marking it - there are no options for selecting which other adapter to share it with. Are you running XP SP2?
    No, I didn't have to run the wizard.. are you running home or pro edition? I'm running xp pro sp2 and it shows up fine. There are some network configuration options that do not appear in the home edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Now, with the reverse DUN, are people hoping for VOIP to make and receive calls? I don't have cell service in my building at work......
    Clue
    Ok, sounds neat, but if one is at work, and are within 20-30 feet of their PC, aren't they also within 20-30ft of the wired phone on their desk? Sorry to sound ignorant here but I'm still not getting this reverse DUN thing except for the guy who is in his backyard doing the DJ thing in Los Angeles in that other thread. Now if you can get 1000+feet like he is I think you are getting somewhere.

If I'm missing something here can somebody clue me in?

Thanks!
    Nobody Died when Clinton Lied!!
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    No, I didn't have to run the wizard.. are you running home or pro edition? I'm running xp pro sp2 and it shows up fine.
    yeah its pro sp2. strange, can you screenshot the dialog box? attached is the screen where i think the option is supposed to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Leo
  4.    #44  
    yeah its pro sp2. strange, can you screenshot the dialog box? attached is the screen where i think the option is supposed to be.
    Hmmm, that is strange. Attached is my screenshot. Is your connection an ethernet, wifi or what?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5.    #45  
    How about this- do you have only two connections total? i.e. it doesn't allow you to select bluetooth because it's the only other one and assumes to use that one. Maybe skip that step and just see if it works..
    I am having difficulty doing this on a mac. I suspect the main issue is simply that it is not possible, at least for me, to designate the bluetooth channel as a port on the mac in the internet sharing port menu. The bluetooth channel shows up in the sharing menu but you need the "WAN" connection there.

I thought that the earlier scripts mentioned by Fofer would help, and they did to the extent of enabling the connection to be seen from the 650, but the story stops there, at least for me.
    Instructions (from windows xp, "classic view"):
    Start->Control Panel
    Network Connections
    Select the connection you wish to share (ie, the broadband connection)
    Advanced Tab
    Allow other network users to connect through this...
    Select the bluetooth network adapter (this must be set up through bluetooth software)
    *Ok

* If all goes well here, it should enable it and your icon for "local area connection" will look slightly different. Otherwise, it will throw errors at you. One thing to watch out for- it wants to be 192.168.0.1 to do the NAT for the private bt network. I already have a 192.168.0.1 defined on my home network, so that was an issue.
    Has anyone ever tried this from Win2K? I'm having a problem with this. I try to share my LAN connection, and I think its getting annoyed since my BT connection is already configured for 192.168.0.1 . It doesn't even ask what I want to share it to. Once I hit enable sharing it only talks about applications or services. It then says it'll set it to 192.168.0.1 ... Is there a way to change this? I used my software (D-Link BT-120) to share everything on the laptop. When I set things up, it asked me to pair to the Treo. I do have it now where the Treo tries, and the laptop says DUN is active, but the Treo gives a PPP timeout. I think I also lost connectivity on my LAN connection once I enabled sharing, is this because it needed to change the base IP to the .01 ? Does this mean 2 PC's on the same network can't be set to do the sharing?
    Instructions (from treo):

Go into prefs
    Click Connection (Under Other)
    New
    Connect to: [Local Network]
    Via: [Bluetooth]
    Device: [browse for the device]
    Ok
    Done
    Click Network (Under Communication)
    Menu->New
    Connection: [Select name of bt connection created]
    Connect (to test it)

Now, you can switch between services (new dun service and sprint vision), so make sure you switch back when you don't want to use bluetooth anymore.
    I can't seem to figure out how to switch between services. I set this up ok but when I go to Pref-Communication-Network I only have two choices under Service - SprintPCS or Sprint Provisioning. I don't see my network connection? Help.

I'm going to be in an area that has no sprint service for a whole week. I can see where this could be very useful to get information on the treo at that time. I will have a wireless internet connection in my hotel room for my laptop. I should be able to connect and update Handmark Express, listen to shoutcast, etc. I'm not using Avantgo yet but this would be usable also during this week away from the Sprint network. Hopefully I can figure out how to use it. Help
    I figured since Winderz was giving me the ****s, I'd set it up on FreeBSD and really get frustrated. Took about 10 minutes, and it works PERFECTLY! This is EXACTLY what I want to do. It'll let me test all my data apps before taking my T600 off.
    Wow, I am impressed. At work, where I have no cell reception, I've enabled Internet Connection Sharing on my desktop computer and shared my high bandwidth network with my private bluetooth network. Following some instructions from others, I created a new connection (under prefs) and added the connection to my list network services.

After creating the new connection under prefs, how did you add the connection to your list of network services? Is it just supposed to appear automatically? I don't have it listed under the drop down list Service. Thanks everyone
    Last edited by scsanden; 12/05/2004 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMike
    Ok, sounds neat, but if one is at work, and are within 20-30 feet of their PC, aren't they also within 20-30ft of the wired phone on their desk? Sorry to sound ignorant here but I'm still not getting this reverse DUN thing except for the guy who is in his backyard doing the DJ thing in Los Angeles in that other thread. Now if you can get 1000+feet like he is I think you are getting somewhere.

If I'm missing something here can somebody clue me in?

Thanks!
    It's really a reliability issue. I know that I can reach my brother across the country on his Sprint phone 24 hrs. a day. I never, and I mean never, call his home or work number, because I know he's with his phone.

But where I am, for 8 hours a day during the week, my phone is out of service. That means the people who call me on the cell (who don't have my work #) will get my voicemail, and then I won't get the message until 4 hours later. If they do have my other numbers, they have to call my work, and then home, etc, because they don't know where I am.

Having a phone that works all the time and is with you all the time means if people need to reach you they can at one number.

If this VoIP were to work, I would get the 100 ft. bluetooth adapter, and I'll be in service for 90% of the day. That will do until they get that new celltower up in town later this year (crossing fingers!)

Does that help explain our situations, Mike?

Clue
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    After creating the new connection under prefs, how did you add the connection to your list of network services? Is it just supposed to appear automatically? I don't have it listed under the drop down list Service. Thanks everyone
    In the list of network services, did you go to the menu and select new? If you go back into connections is it there (did it get saved)? Also, make sure you selected "Connect To: Local Network" and "Via: Bluetooth" for the connection type.
    In the list of network services, did you go to the menu and select new? If you go back into connections is it there (did it get saved)? Also, make sure you selected "Connect To: Local Network" and "Via: Bluetooth" for the connection type.
    Thanks for your help. I went to Preferences - Connection under Other and created a new connection named Custom. In Available Connections I see the other connection I created called INSPIRON (my trusted laptop bluetooth connection) used for hotsync and pdanet. I see other connections listed also like, Virtual Modem, Standard Modem, Cradle/Cable IR to a PC/Handheld, INSPIRON, and Custom.

The Custom connection is saved and is setup as follows:
    Name: Custom
    Connect to: Local Network
    Via: Bluetooth
    Device: INSPIRON

In Preferences I go to Network under Communication. I see a drop down list for Service. Currently I have PCS Vision selected. The screen shows my User Name: and Password: Assigned. It shows that it is locked and has a modify button. If I tap on Service: I see two choices only:
    PCS Vision
    Sprint Provisioning

What gives? Thanks very much for your help.
    Last edited by scsanden; 12/05/2004 at 10:31 AM.
    Thanks TreoJunkie!

I followed the steps and my Treo connects, but it gets 0.0.0.0 address for the host and itself. Is the Bluetooth Network supposed to become active when I connect? I looked at its settings and they look fine (it uses 192.168.0.1 as you indicated). I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks for any pointers.
    How about this- do you have only two connections total? i.e. it doesn't allow you to select bluetooth because it's the only other one and assumes to use that one. Maybe skip that step and just see if it works..
    I have 2 real connections (ethernet and wireless), plus those bluetooth adapters. Looking at your screenshot, it is strange that a drop down doesn't show for me. What does device manager show for your bluetooth network adapter?
    Leo
    The more mess around, the more I think it is a limitation with SP2's implementation of bluetooth. It doesn't give my bluetooth adapters the properties of a true network adapter... only gives it personal area network properties (lame).

On a VAIO notebook I have, I was actually able to get that drop down to show up when sharing the internet connection through a 1394 port (firewire networking). So the only way to get that drop down to show up is to have 2 (or more) 'connected' network devices. Since SP2's bluetooth software doesn't _really_ consider a bluetooth adapter as a network device, its not showing up.

err.
    Leo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    But where I am, for 8 hours a day during the week, my phone is out of service. That means the people who call me on the cell (who don't have my work #) will get my voicemail, and then I won't get the message until 4 hours later. If they do have my other numbers, they have to call my work, and then home, etc, because they don't know where I am.

Having a phone that works all the time and is with you all the time means if people need to reach you they can at one number.
    There is a non-bluetooth way of doing this as well -- is it possible to have delayed forwarding on your work phone (where I assume you are for 8 hours)? I have it at home -- so if the phone rings three times and I don't answer, it forwards to my Treo. Then all people have to do is call your work number all the time. (and it makes you look like a hero because they always have to reach you at work!! )

Also, some PBX systems also support having an external forward if you dial 0 or something like that.
    I'm now connected via Bluetooth reverse DUN and can access the web in BLAZING speeds using ReqWireless Webviewer. CNN.com loaded before I could finish blinking. Going to try testing the connection on Broadbandreports.com now. Any other sites you recommend I test my speed?
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseRPI
    I'm now connected via Bluetooth reverse DUN and can access the web in BLAZING speeds using ReqWireless Webviewer. CNN.com loaded before I could finish blinking. Going to try testing the connection on Broadbandreports.com now. Any other sites you recommend I test my speed?
    http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed gives a good speed measure by testing the download speed of different size files.
    How about a glossary: DUN SSH?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast