Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Ok, this is exciting. I have a BT USB adapter, but it's not set up yet. Will I be able to use these steps with the adapter?
    You should, if your BT software that came with the adapter is able to set up the local services. I have the Keningston USB adapter and it hosts a whole slew of local services: audio gateway, headset, PIM synch, fax, file transfer, PIM item transfer, DUN, Network Access, Bluetooth Serial Port. "Network Access" is the important one; it will create a virtual network adapter that's needed for the connection sharing step.
    Thanks. I'll have to try it.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Hey Guys, I need some help to get this to work on my MAC, Any syggestions?
    newbie here, so forgive me. if blazer doesnt work, how do you surf the web w/the 650 under this setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    This IS pretty neat, and I'm always for hacking around and figuring out new stuff, but what really is a practical use for this?
    I was being serious not sarcastic btw... Does anyone have a good use for this?
  6.    #26  
    Well, it's useful for me if I'm in a meeting with my phone and want to check my email or send something out or need to ssh into something to fix a server. I don't have cell reception at work, so this is my only alternative.

Plus, VOIP would be really useful.
    if you're in range of your bluetooth network, you can use that instead of your vision connection - the result - potentially much faster internet connection.

Also if you're paying for internet connection on your treo, this provides for free access.

However if you are in range of your bluetooth network, then you're in range of your computer which you can use instead of your treo...

Maybe your computer is across the room on your desk but you're sitting on your couch in front of the TV, you can use your internet access from your Treo?

ok you got me, maybe there aren't many practical uses for this.
    It's still awesome.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I think people already said the best use for it.

VoIP. All one needs is some company, like Skype, to come out w/ a palm client
  9. JJL
    This IS pretty neat, and I'm always for hacking around and figuring out new stuff, but what really is a practical use for this?
    This is complely awesome for me, if I can get it to work! This will allow me to sync up my corporate e-mail and calendar without using the VPN on the Treo. My problem is, I use the same VPN account on the Treo that I use on the laptop. Previously, when I wanted to sync, I would have to go through Vision, use my VPN client on my Treo to get e-mail and calendar. This worked OK, but it would boot me off the VPN connection on my laptop, which I would have to manually reconnect. Plus, it was really slow. If this setup works, I can use ICS over BT to connect to the laptop, sync up using the VPN on the laptop, at much higher speeds.

That will be my practical use. I'll test it out ASAP.

Thank you, thank you thank you! My only concern is, scurity issues. I have never used ICS before. Does ICS allow you to limit which connections can connect through the shared connection? For example, if I do this over my wireless adapter in my laptop, will my neighbor be able to get on the internet using an ad hoc connection to my PC? Or, can I just specify that my Treo 650 is the only device that can share the connection?
    Don't think that's a big risk, but I am just curious.

Thanks again
  10. JJL
    When I try to do this, here is the screen I get in my Windows XP SP2 BT setup. Is there a service in my LAN connection that I need to add?

I am currently syncing using BT so I don't quite understand why this won't connect. Any ideas. This would be treally great to use!

Thanks a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex
    However if you are in range of your bluetooth network, then you're in range of your computer which you can use instead of your treo...
    Exactly.. If you're inside the 10 foot bluetooth range of your PC why use a 2 inch screen and a mini keyboard?

But yeah I guess SKYPE would be a good use -- ya get some slight freedom from sitting in front of your computer with a lame microphone/earphones combination and get to use a nice phone handset..
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    May I also add, my bluetooth connection worked 20 ft away!
    Slightly off topic, but I just posted my results with amazingly freakish (1000+ foot!)Bluetooth range:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...726#post483726
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoAsh
    Hey Guys, I need some help to get this to work on my MAC, Any syggestions?
    This thread is actually about "reverse DUN" ... which means you can use your computer's fast connection to get your Treo on the 'net (using Bluetooth as a conduit.) Since Sprint's connection is unlimited and certainly fast enough for my needs, I'm still trying to figure out what I'd use this for.

Standard DUN (using your Treo's cell connection to get your computer on the net when broadband or dialup isn't available) is enabled by applying the patched file available in this forum... but that's a different discussion.

That said, as far as reverse DUN is concerned on the Mac, Panther's "Internet Sharing" system preference looks like it would be the key, but for some reason Bluetooth doesn't appear in the list of available choices for connections to share TO.

I did some googling and found relevant discussion here:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma..._internet.html

(specifically the comments below.)

These scripts look like they may come into play.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22712
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21583

I thinkered a bit with the Salling Clicker script, but didn't get it to work immediately. And since it looks like web surfing won't work anyway (Blazer complains about turning the phone on) I decided to move on. Perhaps will revisit it later.
    Anyone get this to work with WinXP SP2's bluetooth software?

When I attempt to connect, I receive an error stating "Error: Serial:timeout. Could be bad cable or faulty Modem. (0x0305)"
    Leo
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by leobag
    Anyone get this to work with WinXP SP2's bluetooth software?

When I attempt to connect, I receive an error stating "Error: Serial:timeout. Could be bad cable or faulty Modem. (0x0305)"
    I had that error a few times. It happened when it wanted to turn my phone on in order to connect to the bluetooth adapter. I solved this by having the phone already turned on and with service. Then, I retried to connect and it was ok.
    Trying to catch up to the steep learning curve here. I've got BT DUN working, and I'm connected with it right now. It's unbelievable.

Now, with the reverse DUN, are people hoping for VOIP to make and receive calls? I don't have cell service in my building at work, and if I could hook up to the broadband network and have my phone suddenly "in service", that would be great.

Is that what people are thinking would make this a useable idea?

Clue
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Now, with the reverse DUN, are people hoping for VOIP to make and receive calls? I don't have cell service in my building at work, and if I could hook up to the broadband network and have my phone suddenly "in service", that would be great.

Is that what people are thinking would make this a useable idea?

Clue
    Yes. BUT, keep in mind that bluetooth doesn't have the range that wifi has. However, I've been able to stray as 20-30 feet from my computer and still have a connection. I really hope someone makes a good VOIP app for palm, because I'm in the same boat as you are.
    I had that error a few times. It happened when it wanted to turn my phone on in order to connect to the bluetooth adapter. I solved this by having the phone already turned on and with service. Then, I retried to connect and it was ok.
    Thanks... I think i may have found my problem... I can't get past this part in Windows:

Allow other network users to connect through this...
    Select the bluetooth network adapter (this must be set up through bluetooth software)
    There is no option to select the bluetooth network adapter...

I am using an IBM T40p with bluetooth and SP2 getting a signal through WiFi... I could have swore I remembered this option being there a while ago (pre-SP2), but now its not showing up.
    Leo
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by leobag
    Thanks... I think i may have found my problem... I can't get past this part in Windows:

There is no option to select the bluetooth network adapter...

I am using an IBM T40p with bluetooth and SP2 getting a signal through WiFi... I could have swore I remembered this option being there a while ago (pre-SP2), but now its not showing up.
    I haven't used the software that comes with XP or built-in bluetooth laptops before, but is there a network adapter for bluetooth in your list of connections? If not, you'll need to figure out how to create one and if you do, there may be a setting to enable it for sharing before it appears in that drop-down list.
    but is there a network adapter for bluetooth in your list of connections?
    yeah, there is. There is actually two... one for a Personal Area Network, and another for RFCOMM Protocol TDI. There is also a "Bluetooth network connection" in my Network Connections. Looks like it is all ready to work, but windows only seem my 650 as a "phone and modem" - not as a "computer (pda)."

Did you have to run the "Network Setup Wizard" in windows to configure ICS? For the properties of the network adapter in which I want to share internet access, the Advanced tab has a checkbox for "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" but after marking it - there are no options for selecting which other adapter to share it with. Are you running XP SP2?
    Leo
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast