Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    Obvously you have to change your dlink ip address (probably subnet)
    Hi, How do you change this?. Would you explain please?
    Quote Originally Posted by armevi
    Hi, How do you change this?. Would you explain please?
    you have to read your d-link manual, but if you have no experience in network configuration is better to desist. You could end up with no network connection to ask for help again.
    Ciao

Ettore
    do you mean changing the IP address i use to login to my router?
    i already did that but still doesn't work
    i changed it to 192.168.0.2 so that i can use 192.168.0.1 on my computer
    How can I do this on a Mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos5
    do you mean changing the IP address i use to login to my router?
    i already did that but still doesn't work
    i changed it to 192.168.0.2 so that i can use 192.168.0.1 on my computer
    try to change the ip address of your router to 192.168.1.1 then your LAN card to 192.168.1.2, then your bluetooth network card (virtual) to 192.168.0.1.

then enable connection sharing on the pc lan card settings for the bluetooth lan card.
    Ciao

Ettore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    try to change the ip address of your router to 192.168.1.1 then your LAN card to 192.168.1.2, then your bluetooth network card (virtual) to 192.168.0.1.

then enable connection sharing on the pc lan card settings for the bluetooth lan card.
    I don't have a LAN card. I have an Airport Extreme Card and I use Airport.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    It seems as though my ICS service that is enabled in my wireless connection is not properly transferring the DNS settings to the Treo.......any pointers? I have ICS enabled on my wireless connection (shared to Bluetooth connection). I can establish a connection to my PC from the treo (connecting to Network Access) no problem, however web applications do not work. In looking at the connection log, I see:

Connect Log:

S: CLIENT
    S:CLIENT
    R:~@!}!}}}.}"}&}}}}
    }!}$}&@:~CLIENTSERVER
    LCP->CfgReq
    LCP<-CfgReq
    LCP->CfgReq
    LCP<-CfgAck
    LCP Up
    IPCP->CfgReq
    IPCP<-CfgReq
    IPCP Up
    Service Name:btNET
    Local IP address: 192.168.0.2 (specified by me in "detils")
    Gateway address 0.0.0.0
    DNS address : 192.168.0.1 (same as IP of WiFi connection, as suggested, and specified my me in "details")

FOr some reason it looks like the proper IP addresses are not being provided to the Treo via ICS.

Any suggestions?

I followed all directions as listed here

Thanks
    Edit. A bit drastic but I did a clean install of XP on my aging computer which had seen 98 and upgrade to XP and needed a nice fresh start anyway - and everything works great now.

------------------------------------------
    Old post:
    Can I get a little quick trouble shooting from someone? I've dug and dug and read this entire thread. and followed every tutorial in great detail.

the good...
    Treo 650 connects right up to the PC, no problem
    But then I try to use the internet no luck
    from the network (network log on the treo 650
    Ping 192.168.0.1 - OK (that's my PC bluetooth network
    ping 10.22.33.100 (that's my pc dhcp from my router)
    ping 10.22.33.1 - NO - timeout
    ping www.microsoft.com - NO answer - timeoue

In webpro patched I get "No DNS servers were specified. Please check that you Network settings are correct andtry again [comm 9] OR, I've also gotten "DNS lookup timed out. Please check coverage, adn try again [Comm 8]"

Home network is 10.22.33.1
    PC is 10.22.33.100 from router
    Bluetooth network is 192.168.0.1
    Palm IP is 192.168.0.2

I tried many recommended DNS entries in the palm network setup
    -query dns
    -10.22.33.1 (my router)
    -others from IPconfig /all

I tried all DNS in the bluetooth network TCP/IP

No luck. Suggestions. I've read Whizoo and Palmnet and others. Any other hints? I see lots of people with the DNS problems I'm having but not many answers.
    Last edited by hansbuehler; 11/03/2005 at 09:36 PM. Reason: additional detail
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    Just found this site which explains everything really well.

I can use Blazer with no proxy nonsense and download my emails through Versamail.
    Thanks for this check. Got mine working too!

Edit: I can connect Blazer without proxy but I can only access cnn.com. I can not likewise download email messages from Versamail but I can send emails. Is there anything I still need to configure? Thanks again.
    Last edited by GuWa7; 11/02/2005 at 09:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalEarth
    I don't have a LAN card. I have an Airport Extreme Card and I use Airport.
    ok instead of the lan card use the wireless card
    Ciao

Ettore
    hansbuehler

If you are using the MS Internet connection sharing there are few rules that MUST be followed

In the "server" side (the machine that shares the connection) the shared connection MUST have the 192.168.0.1 ip address, and no other one (all the other third partys sharing SW are not affected by this (silly) limitation)

In the client side (the device that you want to get able to access internet trough the shared connecction)

you must set the 192.168.0.x as IP address (where x is not 0,1,255)

192.168.0.1 as gateway

and

192.168.0.1 as DNS

No matter if the client is a windows PC, a linux PC, or a wireless client like a treo.

Check also your firewall to let the 192.168.0.x network free.
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    Wow, I am impressed. At work, where I have no cell reception, I've enabled Internet Connection Sharing on my desktop computer and shared my high bandwidth network with my private bluetooth network. Following some instructions from others, I created a new connection (under prefs) and added the connection to my list network services. I was able to connect and could SSH from my phone instantly. I still can't use Blazer, b/c it wants to turn my phone on for some reason. Oh, here's a catch, you need to have the phone turned on before trying to do this, or everything will want to implicitly try to turn it on. Even if you have no cell reception, just have it turned on and working BEFORE getting to the location that has bad reception. I am also able to stream shoutcast through PTunes WITH NO BUFFERING. It's very fast- I wish I could check the speed through blazer, but this is incredible!!!! Now, I need to get GPhone or something to try VOIP. Anyone know of any other voip software??

I'm having problems here. I guess i'm just not as smart as the rest of you but i can't seem to figure this out AT ALL.

Could someone post a "detailed" step by step procedure on how to accomplish this? I cannot seem to get my windows XP to see my bluetooth adapter as a modem. I think thats what i'm suppose to do ? anyway please help me out here. Thanks!
    Just yesterday I realized that BT internet connection might be possible , found this thread, and set it up (took me several hours for obscure reasons). Now it works, and it's a blast! "Why, oh why didn't I get" a Class 1 BT adapter... the range of the Class 2 one that I have sucks big time.

Now the question is: should I get a Class 1 BT adapter, or shell out for the Enfora device? (I have wi-fi access point at home)...
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    I think it depends on how much you want to spend and how much flexibility you want. If you get a Linksys USBBT100, it's about $40. However if you shell out for the sled, you have wifi anywhere you can find a hotspot.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    I've followed these instructions to the letter but when i click on connect i get a error message stating the following:

Error:Serial:timeout.
    Could be a bad cable or faulty Modem.
    (0x0305)

I have a few questions:

Does my BT device have to always be in discover mode for this to work?

My internal network is 10.0.0.x does this make a difference?

I can sucessfully use BT DUN service but can't seem to use reverse DUN due to the error listed above.

Also, I'm using Windows XP Professional. As far as I can tell the PRO version does not let you choose which adapter to share that feature appears to be available only on XP Home???

Thanks!
    Last edited by darwinbrewer; 11/23/2005 at 11:04 PM.
    bluetooth network adapter in network connections has to be enabled for it to be listed in the drop down list...
    ok i've spend hours on this...
    i've configured it every way i could.. still doesn't work...
    I set up the blue tooth network lan put the address as 192.168.0.1
    the subnet as 255.255.255.0 set the gateway..
    go to my local network ... click on share.. select bluetooth...
    tells me the ip of the bt network needs to be chaned to 192.168.0.1 (it is)
    then it sets up internet connect sharing...

i set up the treo650 (cingular) to obtain a ip automatically.. (it does)
    then set the dns to the 192.168.0.1 and try to connect..
    it connects.. logs in ... no problem...
    try to ping anything.. it doesnt work.. timeout everytime...
    changed the dns to the one my local network uses.. still nothing...
    it's connecting and staying connected but it's almost like the local and the
    bluetooth networks aren't talking to each other...
    but on the other hand it is assigning the treo an ip address..
    i'm going nuts.. and it's not like i need it to work..
    i just wanted to see it work...
    (i do have the script running too.. )
    anyone have any ideas?.. thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgenneken
    bluetooth network adapter in network connections has to be enabled for it to be listed in the drop down list...

And how do you enable the network adapter in network connections?
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinbrewer
    And how do you enable the network adapter in network connections?
    >Control Panel>Network Connections
    I'm a little late with bluetooth having just bought a CompUSA bluetooth adapter for my laptop. Isn't the Treo 650 a class II bluetooth device? I can see the 650 receiving a signal from a Class I device 1000 ft away, but can a Treo 650 transmit that far? (1000 ft), being class II? Please help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Well all it took was some patient reading, and now I do indeed have "reverse DUN" working perfectly from a Mac (well, at least as perfectly as Windows users do!)

Yes, I have Mark/Space Missing Sync 4.0 installed. So I just had to select the "Internet Sharing" mode button. Then,

1) From the Missing Sync for Palm OS Help menu, select Internet Sharing Assistant. You can share the internet via a USB or Bluetooth connection. In this case select Bluetooth.
    2) Then follow the steps in the wizard for the type of connection you plan to use. The Treo 650's screens are a bit different from what they have pictured but you'll get the general idea.
    3) Once you're done, go to the "Network" preference and create a new setting, this time using the Connection profile you just created.

Voila! Done.

I just checked my email and despite the cell phone component being OFF and having 50 messages waiting for me, it was blazing fast. And then I went to AvantGo an manually browsed to CNN.com -- also blazing fast.

And oh my goodness, pTunes shoutcast streaming was cool via cell, but it's (ahem) just a bit slicker with a reverse-DUN connection to broadband. Wow - even high quality streams start immediately, with no stuttering whatsoever. Am I ever so happy to get freakish 1000 foot bluetooth range now!

Yes, the Blazer issue exists but that's an issue with Blazer and how it demands on working through a proxy. I suppose we could go into the Advanced settings and replace it with a proxy of our own (as some PC users have done, as again, we all are struggling with the same issue) and that too would work fine. Or we could just use another browser like AvantGo, WebViewer, WebPro, etc.

The Treo will complain frequently that the phone is off, asking helpfully "would you like to turn it on?" Just click "no" on that prompt and move on.

Lastly, when you're done with reverse-DUNning, be sure to switch the Network connection back to Sprint (or whatever.)

So clearly this works fine. Yes it would be nice if a 3rd party purchase wasn't necessary, and hopefully there will be free choices soon. Perhaps the 3.0 beta of "Bluetooth to Internet Utility" (linked above) will be released soon. In the meantime though, I'm happy this issue is coming to rest.