Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 545505152535455565758596065 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1320
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I'm sorry guys, I'm away for the holidays... When I get home I'll get back on making this work... (Hopefully!)

You are definatley amazing Shadowmite! You alone are responsible for my decision to upgarde from the 600 to the 650. Please dont give up! One question, in the event that Palm One realeses their own rom update will it overide yours? In other words is there a way to remove your roms just in case?
    Shadowmite, not to sound ungrateful, because I absolutely love everything you have done so far, but am I right thet the SanDisk SD Wifi card has 256 of memory available in it, whereas the PalmOne has no memory and is just wifi? If that is correct, I'd really love it if you could make the wifi fix work for the SanDisk card too, as we all know that SD storage is absolutely necessary on the 650.
    Thanks,
    ~'kito
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    am I right thet the SanDisk SD Wifi card has 256 of memory available in it, whereas the PalmOne has no memory and is just wifi?
    Beware! There are two different Sandisk WiFi SD cards, one is known as the "low power WiFi SD card" or something like that (don't have time at the moment to check the exact references), the other is a 256MB memory + WiFi SD card (but no mention about low power, as far as I can remember). And you're right, the PalmOne WiFi SD card has no memory.

It would be nice to have the 256+WiFi SD card work, but as a matter of fact, having any WiFi SD card work at all would be a good thing!
    hey guys, awesome progress here, but thought id chime in with a bit of bad news. ive spoken to a P1 engineer who's confident all these efforts will only lead to burnt up sd ports on the treo 650s. he said that's the reason P1 never pursued actively developping drivers for the wifi card. now exactly WHY the slot comes underpowered is one questions id like answered by the guys there, but he tells me he's 100% sure the card will burn the slot "like [his] burnt toast in the morning".

as has been said before, use at your own risk guys!!
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    hey guys, awesome progress here, but thought id chime in with a bit of bad news. ive spoken to a P1 engineer who's confident all these efforts will only lead to burnt up sd ports on the treo 650s. he said that's the reason P1 never pursued actively developping drivers for the wifi card. now exactly WHY the slot comes underpowered is one questions id like answered by the guys there, but he tells me he's 100% sure the card will burn the slot "like [his] burnt toast in the morning".

Wi-fi is a feature they state the phone is capable of and is used as a key selling point. Many purchased the T650 based on this as they did the T600. If this is found to be true thats false advertising and deliberately misleading the public. Didnt someone in a previous post have something to test the power to the SD slot where this can be verified as true or false before panic and anger sets in?

I say this is a bluff by P1. I'm sure try are ticked that someone else is making this work. Also if this is true, why has P1 been quoted as saying drivers are coming. What make's the slot so different on the 650. Works fine on the T5.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    That is only there to let them nicely know all they have to do is ask... And based on the stats for the site, they have seen it.
    The reason they don't want it gone"yet" because they are downloading your roms, examining the contents, copying your work, then they will release an update and take full credit.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  8.    #1088  
    Even if it did burn up my slot, I'd just return it to Sprint as defective. I'd love to hear them say that the PalmOne wifi card breaks the PalmOne device they sold me.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    without reading 1000+ post would some one be so kind as to give me the bottom line on WiFI drivers for the Treo650 and what I need to do to my new T650.

Thank
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

Ok Ok, I know some people need to feel important, acting like
    they live in Los Angeles, and they can name drop... But you know
    what Spacehog, don't waste our time, and a whole community's
    efforts with your unverified, unprovable "I've spoken with a p1
    engineer..."

PROVE IT SPACEHOG. Do you live in or around Milpitas, CA?
    Did you call P1 and the main switchboard operator sent your
    call to the R&D department and the P1 engineer said sure we
    know about Shadowmite's hard work and efforts and it was all
    for nothing, since it will burn your slot like toast.

Give the 1000 plus supportive posts here a break.
    Give all of the hard work and a true community efforts a break.
    Give Shadowmites hard work a break.

I think there are a lot of people who dont care for your "raining
    on the parade attitude" so give us a break.

Mark
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central
    dude, take a freaking break will ya? youre gonna have a coronary at that pace. all i did was contribute some information. if you need credentials, ask dalai lama (member here at TC). if that's not enough, then ignore what i said and keep believing the sd card wont eventually burn the sdio slot on the 650. fine by me man.

Im not taking anything away from shadowmite's work nor his efforts, theyre appreciated beyond your understanding. talented people like him need to keep up their work so that the vendor's are always pressured to comply with user's demands, especially when the demands aren't outageous or are visibly possible (as has been demonstrated by shadowmite)

there is a chance that the problem can be solved eventually, i never said it was never going to happen. my intention was simply to alert the great users here that there are issues other than those pertaining to lack of drivers which are delaying wifi compatibility with the 650.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    dude, take a freaking break will ya? youre gonna have a coronary at that pace. all i did was contribute some information. if you need credentials, ask dalai lama (member here at TC). if that's not enough, then ignore what i said and keep believing the sd card wont eventually burn the sdio slot on the 650. fine by me man.

Im not taking anything away from shadowmite's work nor his efforts, theyre appreciated beyond your understanding. talented people like him need to keep up their work so that the vendor's are always pressured to comply with user's demands, especially when the demands aren't outageous or are visibly possible (as has been demonstrated by shadowmite)

there is a chance that the problem can be solved eventually, i never said it was never going to happen. my intention was simply to alert the great users here that there are issues other than those pertaining to lack of drivers which are delaying wifi compatibility with the 650.

Spacehog, I overreacted. I apologize. I get defensive when someone
    attacks something that was done with pure intentions, and made a lot
    of people happy. I should have appreciated your comments and kept
    mine to my self.

Mark
    The Helen Keller of Treo Central

I'd be surprised if the slot burned up. Most electronic designs of this nature would take advantage of current limiting the power for the slot. That way a bad/shorted SD or WIFI card wouldn't damage the phone. If there wasn't enough power for the card it would simply not work or be very unstable IMO.

DJ
    I was just reading where Novii was about to release a new IR blaster card for the 650. Certainly if you do the math wrt LED drivers, initial power consumption for the LED is at a minimum 50mw, and the driver probably 3 times that. so if the board takes a couple of hundred milliwatt then it should also easily support a wifi card.
    This story has made it to SLASHDOT!
    Shadowmite's made the big time. Hopefully this will not create (PalmOne type) waves for him. Shadow, you've done us all a huge service with your work kudos (and donations) to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    This story has made it to SLASHDOT!
    I know this is OT for this thread but after reading some of the comments on slashdot....
    Some of the comments indicated P1 should not be required to support wifi on the T650, and I can understand the viewpoint that P1 isnt required to support a feature they havent officially released. It would be different if the wifi claim was never made and someone found a way to enable or add it, however it was made and never delivered (on the T600 at least, I realize it's still early in the game for the T650 and there is possiblity P1 might some though) They arent grasping the fact that in the past P1 reneged on their product claims, sold a phone based on the future compatiblity of this feature...and then, after they have sold the product, said..."oops"...(its not powerful enough, no one can write a driver that works, we wont write a driver but we will help 3rd party folx get it to you, it is possible but no one wants to write a driver for it)...and actually if I recall correctly, they didnt say "oops" they just left the carrot out there saying its coming in the future which, since they dont give a time frame whether it's next week or next century as long as there is a future they havent deceived us. Before all this I think P1 fans/followers/consumers had faith in them and were willing to invest in their products and go thru growing pains no matter what and now its shifting to "I wanna see it before I believe it because you've lied too many times before". Instead of shelling out money for the latest and greatest folx are holding back, giving the competition time to come it with something to get our dollars. P1 has to realize by now that even if they arent, the competition IS listening. At this point I dont see why P1 cant do like microsoft did with powertools: write the application or allow others to, make it as stable as possible, post if for download, and tell everyone to use at their own risk. ...my 2 cents...

*edit*... Actually after I thought about this I couldnt remember if P1 promised the wifi or the BT for the 650...somone refresh my memory...I may be getting all the pre-release speculation mixed up with what they actually promised. If so...oops...
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 01/04/2005 at 12:31 PM.
    While we're a bit OT, I've found this interesting link which deals with WiFi on Palm devices. Maybe we should ask this guy if he's willing to provide some help, what do you think, Shadowmite? He seems to know a lot of things on this topic (WiFi)...

And in case we can make the P1 WiFi SD card work with the 650, we will be able to use his WiFi-Where program for war-driving!
    nice work. just finished reading the entire thread. reminds me of the old days of game copy protection cracking and whatnot. keep up the good work!
    <a href="http://monkeysvsrobots.com">http://monkeysvsrobots.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by victrola
    While everyone is sleeping, I just thought I'd share a story from 20 years ago. In the early PC days, Ashton-Tate of dBASE fame and Lotus with 1-2-3 loved to release program updates which (they thought) were copy-protected to the hilt... just like P1 with today's sheriff app. As luck would have it, there was a fellow in Atlanta with a BBS handle of the "Lone Victor" who typically released the hack to eliminate their copy protection on the same day that Ashton-Tate or Lotus released a new version. It turns out the Lone Victor worked for a big bank in Atlanta and was a beta tester for both companies, unbeknownst to them. P1 staff, are you listening? Shadowmite, Euroclie, and many, many others are continuing a grand tradition. Give them an anonymous hand here. I'm looking forward to today's episode. Count me in for $100 donation to Shadowmite when this is finally soup. Great work!
    not to get off on too much of a tangent, but i thought you might find this blast from the past interesting... here's an archive of various hacks lone victor and others did way back when...
    <a href="http://monkeysvsrobots.com">http://monkeysvsrobots.com</a>