Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    As much as I want the Wifi, I am still rankled by the attitude of P1/ Handspring regarding promising WiFi and BT on the 600 while knowing full well that it was a physical impossibility because of the power issue to the port.

P1 continues to *iss me off by expecting people to pay virtually full price for the 650 which remains only an incremental upgrade - and only 13 months after the 600 was released. At least Sprint has promised me the $150 rebate without having to own the 600 for 18 months as long as I accept a 2 year agreement with my plan. Nice - but that still means almost $400 to upgrade.
    ...except that you can sell your old Treo 600 on ebay for around $300 (especially because you can include any accessories). You could have gotten a $100 BT headset if you hurried as well. That would have put your upgrade cost at about zero.

As to the power on the port, no one knows for sure if that is indeed the case. It has been rumored, but that's about all.
    Count me in for $5 as well. I just returned my 650 today. Just too many problems, unfortunately (with the 650 and Sprint). However, I'd love to pitch into this effort. I think it's brilliant. Shadow, you're a pimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Pretty sad that they have drivers and intentionaly put in code to check if the device is a 650, and if so, not let the driver work. Seems like what PalmOne says at the Roadshow (the development ofWiFi Drivers would take away from 700 development)and what they do in reality are two different things. Hope Shadowmite's "fix" works if nothing more to expose the lies that PalmOne keeps putting out about WiFi in the Treo and how "hard" it would be develop drivers.

Also if it works it should be posted loud and clear that Palm is intentionally disabling drivers for WiFi on the 650. Maybe raising enough hell with this company will make them realize that they need to stay a little more honest with their customers.
    all thumbs and toes up for this one
    I will offer to host the file - I have 1TB monthy transfer on my host - so that should not be a problem. Sometimes bandwith is better then money - So I can offer that.
    and forgot: count me in with a donation - amazing shadowmite - whatever you find out, you're the man! great thread
    Think I'm getting somewhere again... I was looking in the wrong place. The sheriff program seems to be responsible to load the config and other utilities...
  7.    #87  
    And here I thought you were done for the day.
    Is it possible that palm put in a very simple block (e.g., sheriff), knowing a hacker would defeat it, so that it could honestly say to the cellular companys, hey we tried, while at the same time letting their product work as (originally) intended with wifi??
    wow, I'm watching this thread! haha, I don't even have a Treo 650, but when this is final I'm gonna spread the news .

Hey shadowmite, could you by any chance figure out what databases Blazer 4.0 needs to run? hehe, I want the T|T5 version on my T|T3 .

Ah whatever, continue working on this WiFi wonder driver .
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by gladman
    Is it possible that palm put in a very simple block (e.g., sheriff), knowing a hacker would defeat it, so that it could honestly say to the cellular companys, hey we tried, while at the same time letting their product work as (originally) intended with wifi??
    It's very possible. I don't know how likely it is, but it's very possible.
  11. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Wow. This thread is like a high-tech thriller. I am expecting the PalmOne secrect agents to storm shadowmite's place just as he is about to get the last line of code finished...
    Been lurking the forum for a bit with a 650 arriving tomorrow - count me in for $5 - just pass the details.

Shadowmite, thanks for all the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by gladman
    I would love if this were true, but I doubt it could this simple...just not likely. I personally hope shadowmite all the luck he needs and would also be willing to chip in another $5 bucks too... but it seems to be that creating a suitable driver stack is more complicated than this and I have misgivings that the T5 drivers could work on vastly different device like the 650? If this wasn't the case, then why hasn't anyone tried to hack the wifi drivers for the T3 or Z72 yet for the Treo650? The arguement that the T5 also uses NVFS and thus is probably more similar to the 650 may have merit, but I'm still skeptical...

Regardless, I hope I'm wrong!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #94  
    I'm skeptical as well which is why I almost didn't post it, but I figured with them being released at around the same time with NVFS, they are kind of cousiny. I think if it were really outlandish Shadowmite probably would have known in about 3 minutes. The fact that the driver specifically looks for the Treo 650 and disable itself is kind of a smoking gun. If it wasn't meant to work on the Treo 650 ever you'd think it wouldn't need such protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    why hasn't anyone tried to hack the wifi drivers for the T3 or Z72 yet for the Treo650? The arguement that the T5 also uses NVFS and thus is probably more similar to the 650 may have merit, but I'm still skeptical...
    It was my understanding not too long ago that the innards of the 650 were supposed to be more inline with the Z72, correct?
    I'm coming from a Sony Clie NX70v and back in the days everybody wanted to have CF drivers, but it felt like it was never going to happen. The hardware was there and all we needed were the drivers. One company tried and gave up. A second one tried and it semi made it work. Then, it was a clie user who made a free driver for the NX70v with the drivers that he extracted from the later Clie NX80.

I'm very confident that we are going to see WiFi drivers very soon. I'm in for $5. Let me know where should I paypal you the money.

Al
    Wow I'm also really late to notice this thread...but I'd throw in some $ via my paypal account if it would really help...
    Well, all three look very similar... I believe it is mainly a matter of how the install program works that they needed to make them different. I still have faith it can be made to work, I've now proven beyond a doubt that the sheriff program (a installer of sorts) is the problem. It has to reset the device, and install a file several times in a row, and each device does this in different ways.

Now the big question in the end here will be the actual sdio driver (-rism3slot.prc) which may or may not work with the 650's implementation of the slot. But if it does, then this should be golden...

I'm trying to think positive, honestly when I have this much trouble hacking a problem I normally get it after a couple days to think about it...
    My first post -- sign me up to give $5. Go for it!
    This is my first post ever here. This thread is absolutely fantastic. I am willing to donate $5 for R&D.

I will be soon getting the Treo650, but I am nearly knowledge-less as far as Palms, gadgets and the rest....but I feel much better at ease that you guys here are of such great help and know-how, that I'm sure I'll get any help I need from y'all. (hopefully my first question won't be, "where's that on button?"

anyway, may the schwartz be with you shadowmite.

also, didn't shadowmite mention that ls3mach would be the collector for the funds? If so, or if not, speak up and let me know. Thanks all. good luck.