Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    P1 made several indefensible choices in their configuration of the 650.

1. no built in wifi -- or even providing drivers for their own wifi card

2. using BT 1.1 -- which is inherently less compatible with sharing spectrum -- making wifi/radio juggling much much trickier. (how can they not have used the spectrum friendly 1.2 ?)

3. adopting a new memory/file system without recognizing the damage it would impose on existing data storage -- and not apropriating the small incremental expense of upping the on board memory.

I'm not a P1 hater -- (I have written elsewhere in defense of the P1 people I met at the roadshow) -- but stupidity must be recognized before it can be learned from and overcome.
    You are not alone, CNET just posted a FULL review of the Treo 650 and it got lower marks then the Treo 600. Had they just added 64MB of memory the Treo would be that much more of a success!

SHADOWMITE... damn impressive. You have earned your title!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Like many, I was reading this technical suspense thriller almost non-stop, and as soon as I take a break from reading, BOOM! BREAKING NEWS! I know there is still more to do in terms of Vision and Wifi coexisting and all I can say is thanx to Shadow, Euroclie, Bmacfarland and others who refuse to wait for Palm1 market research results. Does anyone accept gold and silver anymore as payment??
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    How am I going to live up to that title!?
    There's nothing to live up to... you earned this one!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    ShadowMite & TreoCentral, here's how we should do this.

ShadowMite writes:
    1. A patch that changes the T5 drivers into the 650 ones (you couldn't legally resell the patched drivers, but you could legally sell the patch program).
    2. A little utility program that stores the drivers somehow and can install them or uninstall them and do the reset. That way it's just a 60 second job and one button press to get it all turned on or off.

TreoCentral creates a value-added bundle of the P1 WiFi card, the T5 drivers (that come with, I presume) and an additional free download of ShadowMite's program. Sell the P1 WiFi card at full price (rather than the discount TreoCentral normally does) and split the profits with ShadowMite. Throw up massive disclaimers about no responsibility for damage to your 650.

Now we've got a business that rewards ShadowMite for his efforts and TreoCentral for its role.
    As I've said, this isn't about making money... And TreoCentral SHOULD start selling these cards, I'm sure people will be interested now...
    Nice work shadowmite! Now you can step aside and let the production gurus take over. The same issue is going on now at BH for the T3 battery project. I'm happy to say there will soon be a commercially available 1200mAh battery for this device. The T3 battery thread bears an eerie resemblence to this one... It's guys like you that make this world what it is.

In your face P1. Give us what we want and you'll succeed. This is why you are struggling now, because you aren't fully in touch with the real needs of your customers. Every great device of yours has been marred by short-sighted omissions. It is to the credit of your own developer community that you continue to exist at all.
    I will let you know how many downloads came from my mirror when my webstats update tonight...
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    As I've said, this isn't about making money...
    Not only are you a Treo hacking genuis, but a noble and humble one at that!

Might I suggest as an alternative and in the spirit of the season, that if Shadowmite (and the others) really don't want the money, perhaps a nice donation to a reputable charity can be made in the name of all Treo WiFi users contributors?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Anything Further on the Treo 600 Shadow.

I know everyone is excited about the Treo 650 and a few things still need to be ironed out but was just wondering if you had thought of continuing your work on the Treo 600 problem.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Shadow,
    Could you please look in to the Tungsten E beta driver from San Disk on the Treo 600 wi-fi thread. I am sure you could do similar modifications to that driver as you did to the P1 drivers. We really could use your help. Without your help it won't happen.
  11.    #971  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    You are not alone, CNET just posted a FULL review of the Treo 650 and it got lower marks then the Treo 600. Had they just added 64MB of memory the Treo would be that much more of a success!

SHADOWMITE... damn impressive. You have earned your title!
    I think it might have got lower marks because more is expected now. I have to go read the full review though. I could be wrong.
  12.    #972  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisonmuscle
    Shadow,
    Could you please look in to the Tungsten E beta driver from San Disk on the Treo 600 wi-fi thread. I am sure you could do similar modifications to that driver as you did to the P1 drivers. We really could use your help. Without your help it won't happen.
    Does the Tungsten E use the same processor as the Treo 600? I think ShadowMite mentioned that the assembly language could be very different between the two and thus making them not very hackable.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Mods,

Nice job on changing shadowmite's status from "Member" to "Treo Hacker Extraordinaire"
    Very fitting. Great work, shadowmite.
    Last edited by dwman; 12/17/2004 at 12:36 AM.
    Yes!
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    Yes, shadowmite, you've earned your new title .

We should have a virtual party for shadowmite and all who helped him like euroclie and all the other beta testers . We already have cookies...
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    Ok, I'm Christmas shopping this afternoon and BAM, I get about a dozen Google Alerts delivered to my Treo email. ALL of the alerts were from various trade publications/websites about Shadow's new baby for the T650. I also was watching this thread with interest (even though I only have a lowly T600) and couldn't believe he did it!! Congrats Shadow. Websites carrying your story include but are not limited to....Smartphone.pdablast.com; weblog.infoworld.com; Infosyncworld (Norway); Brighthand; Engadget; of course TC; thefeature.com; and more I'm sure. You're global baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by edeab220
    We already have cookies...
    And Java to wash 'em down with!
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Hot damn! Now, to get a Treo to put this beaut' on!
    "'Form follows function' ó that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I think it might have got lower marks because more is expected now. I have to go read the full review though. I could be wrong.
    Treo 600, Tungsten E, Zire 71 and zodiac are all Texas Instruments OMAP Processors. The only one that does not have wi-fi yet is the Treo 600. The Treo 600 even has a processor faster than a few of the other models. This is why it makes more sense to modify one of the Sandisk drivers for the Treo 600. The Tungsten E has a (beta) driver only as it has similar SDIO specs to the Treo 600. People who use the Tungsten E with the beta driver and wi-fi have no complaints. The dirver was not released as it would void warranty. the San Disk card should work with the Treo 600 if Shadow did similar modifications to the netlibrary to what he did with the P1 card. Since the P1 and San DIsk cards are both SYchip on the inside, shadow could also approach it as modifying the current 650 driver to recognize the San Disk wi-fi card. Either way it is basically a mix and match of existing drivers to get it to work on the 600. Shadow is capable, whether or not he is willing may be another question? I really hope he is. Other Treo 600 users need to step up and join in the Treo 600 thread to show that it would be valuable to them, i know that it would be valuable to me. My San Disk wi-fi is on its way to me and I am ready to start beta testing. if shadow solves this one it would be a hat trick!
    First off: Congratulations to Shadowmite and Euroclie for their persistence and really come through for the rest of the Treo community.

Secondly: I've been reading this thread for the past couple of weeks and I've seen both sides of the argument regarding whether P1 has been holding out on releasing a WiFi driver vs. them truly having real problems in terms of beta testing and QA. Then it struck me...P1 is really behind the times in terms of technology. I understand that P1 has been doing a lot of testing and debugging to get the 650 to market. But as of today, their "new" Treo offering is really lacking in the technology department. Yes, the screen and camera are better. Yes, it now has BT; which needed to be hacked by our friend Shadowmite in order to fully function as BT was meant to function. But the technology built around some of the competition's "smartphones" are still superior; albeit none of them are perfect. The fact that the "new" Treo 650 has only 23MB of available memory, does not do true BT natively (doesn't even have the latest BT version from my understanding) AND doesn't have WiFi capability natively, speaks volumes to the level of commitment P1 is putting into this particular product. To be honest, if the Treo 650 was released 6 months ago or Q2 of this year I would have been drooling at the mouth. But the more I think about it today, the more I'm not impressed; the 650 feels more like an upgrade than a new product. To spend over $300 and have to commit to a 2 year contract for a P1 "smartphone", which needs to be hacked to pieces just to be on par with the technology currently available in a new (dare I say it!) Mobile Pocket PC is bordering on lunacy. I love the idea of the Treo and support its current and future development, but I think it's time for P1 to put the "smart" back in their Smartphones...