Page 48 of 66 FirstFirst ... 38434445464748495051525358 ... LastLast
    awesome work shadow & company!?
    Hey Kevin from P1.... what does P1 think now?
    OK..ready to Paypal that donation...is the hotmail address mentioned in the TC article correct?

Also...it seems to me that euroclie put some serious time into this as well. I'd say it would be reasonable to have them share the loot
  3.    #943  
    I have to pass the congrats as well. I didn't think there was much of a shot of it when I started this thread. I expected two attempts would be made. The first, to plug them in as is and see if it works. The second, to see if there was some kind of gatekeeper specifically keeping it from working on Treo's. Once it got past those two, I figured it was about the same odds of the Red Sox coming back from 3 games down against the Yankees and then taking the next series for the title.

I am completely in awe with this but to paraphrase Wolf from Pulp Fiction, let's not start sucking eachother's popsicles yet. There's still a couple of finishing touches (making it work better with Vision, making it work with Blazer) left to do.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Sorry to you 600 users, the thought never even occured to me before that the assembly low level sdio routines are not compatible between these two cpu's...
    This is pretty much the reason why I started the thread when the T5 drivers came out. The T5 shares the same processor, memory type, and other "guts" as the Treo 650, but the Treo 600s were always a bit more removed from other Palm devices for me to think that they'd translate over.

By the way, what's the battery life like streaming shoutcast? There's been a lot of talk about battery life. It would be good to see what's fact and fiction.
    Last edited by bmacfarland; 12/16/2004 at 08:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    We need a trophy like an Oscar to pass along to Shadowmite
    We have bestowed him with a new user title!

Treo Hacker Extraordinaire
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  5. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Very impressive. Nice work.
    Shadow, thanks again. Great work and such team work from the entire TC community. Just sent my "pledge" plus some...very much deserved. I hope that everyone will send in their contributions so that more projects like this continue to take place. I must say, while I'm not really mad at P1, it certainly makes them look bad in my eyes....not that Shadow or anyone was trying to make them look bad, but come one, with little to no resources Shadow was able to get this to work (though "rough"). I do hope that P1 sees the "profit" and incentive in supporting this.
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
    I was busy a couple of days couldnt read forum
    wow wow great job
    i was orig. for $40 i'm sending $80
    Shadow,
    My pledge is on the way. I hope you'll continue working on this and get to a point where we can use it with Wi-Fi/memory combo cards, given the incredible dependence a lot of us have on PowerRun/ZLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle

I think that is an excellent title!
  10.    #950  
    Someone back a few posts ago (I've read about 80 posts today) asked if maybe the GSM data connection would work when that version comes out. I'd like to answer with 99.9% certainty (I'll leave the last .1% to ShadowMite confirming) that it won't change anything. The issue isn't with something that Sprint is doing, but that the cellular modem is connecting to the Internet in a different way than wifi. The same cellular modem issue will be there for any carrier.

This does bring up the question of whether reverse DUN works with the new driver. I didn't want to bring up that wrinkle because I like ShadowMite's head connected together and not blown into a million pieces. I think that's asking a bit too much, but knowing ShadowMite he might give it a shot out of curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle

That's Awesome!!
    Treo Hacker Extraordinaire!?!? How am I going to live up to that title!? Thanks guys, I'm really glad you all are happy! I only picked this project up and ran with it because you all wanted a ability to use Wifi so badly. Also, just to see if it could be done. How many people have now used the drivers!? I'm hoping for feedback and what all problems we have, I know I haven't found everything yet. One person mentioned it's resettting the phone when he tries to turn it off! That's a problem! Hopefully we can get this cleaned up a bit but it'll take some more tracing the code and trying to duplicate it.

Another thing... Battery life someone asked about... It appeared to EAT the battery when I was streaming 256kbps, I believe it really will tax the battery life to run this for long...
    Last edited by shadowmite; 12/16/2004 at 11:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Simply incredible. I don't even use WiFi but reading this thread was like watching 10 minutes of Bourne Identity each day! Shadow and company hats off... God Bless you all!
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Treo Hacker Extraordinaire!?!? How am I going to live up to that title!? Thanks guys, I'm really glad you all are happy! I only picked this project up and ran with it because you all wanted a ability to use Wifi so badly. Also, just to see if it could be done. How many people have now used the drivers!? I'm hoping for feedback and what all problems we have, I know I haven't found everything yet. One person mentioned it's resettting the phone when he tries to turn it off! That's a problem! Hopefully we can get this cleaned up a bit but it'll take some more tracing the code and trying to duplicate it.

Another thing... Battery life someone asked about... It appeared to EAT the battery when I was streaming 256kbps, I believe it really will tax the battery life to run this for long...
    I say we vote for him in 2008! all with me say "I"
    My testing yesterday with the P1 wifi card on Tungsten T3 showed that it consumed approx 220mA while it was active: Led ON & transmitting/receiving.

It used minimal power on initialization, but pretty steady once the network was acquired.

Pretty easy to make a calculation as to what this will do to the battery, but that's just "theory". The battery on my T3 is 900mAhr, I believe, and to do anything really useful, beyond an hours, let's say, I use the battery sled attachment...
    So as of right now....

The kitty (pledged amounts) are..... $1,110!

Plus, there are probably about a dozen people who said they would pledge, but did not specify amounts.

Looks like TC is not collecting for this, per Marcus. He suggested Amazon.

I have seen the "temfate" address on another web site, but have not seen an official endorsement by Shadowmite....would have to have someone nefariousl take the funds. (Shadow, can you confirm?)

There's still more time to contribute! C'mon, let's see some more.
    I am sure Shadow and other will enhance this driver, based on his posts, so this is not a one time shot.

Again, Shadow, fantastic job on this effort. You (and euroclie, others) accomplished something that no one else, (including P1 or 3rd parties) would/could do. Keep up the great efforts, and the next Red Vines package I consume will be dedicated to you!
    Awesome, I forgot about my redvines/diet pepsi craze... I'll have to get some! The paypal addres is accurate, I'll allow it to collect donations for me, but please folks, I really like the thanks but don't need much in the line of donations... I want to see you all support palm programmers by buying their apps if you haven't done so yet... If I want to make some money, I'll write a app for everyone! Right now I do this as a hobby only, I enjoy exploring functionality that is disabled by default.

I'm still waiting to hear from Euroclie since he had begun working on the load/unload routines we are going to need to explore.

I hope palm releases their own version of this driver, it shouldn't take them long once they see the demand for it.
    Excellent job! Fantastic! This REALLY makes Palm1 look bad. It further confirms that they have been manipulating us this whole time.

I hope this hits every major publication HEAVLY. Maybe a slap in the face by the community will get Palm1 back on track.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    So as of right now....

The kitty (pledged amounts) are..... $1,110!

Plus, there are probably about a dozen people who said they would pledge, but did not specify amounts.

Looks like TC is not collecting for this, per Marcus. He suggested Amazon.

I have seen the "temfate" address on another web site, but have not seen an official endorsement by Shadowmite....would have to have someone nefariousl take the funds. (Shadow, can you confirm?)

There's still more time to contribute! C'mon, let's see some more.
    I am sure Shadow and other will enhance this driver, based on his posts, so this is not a one time shot.

Again, Shadow, fantastic job on this effort. You (and euroclie, others) accomplished something that no one else, (including P1 or 3rd parties) would/could do. Keep up the great efforts, and the next Red Vines package I consume will be dedicated to you!
    Shadowmite confirms the address here
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Excellent job! Fantastic! This REALLY makes Palm1 look bad. It further confirms that they have been manipulating us this whole time.

I hope this hits every major publication HEAVLY. Maybe a slap in the face by the community will get Palm1 back on track.

P1 made several indefensible choices in their configuration of the 650.

1. no built in wifi -- or even providing drivers for their own wifi card

2. using BT 1.1 -- which is inherently less compatible with sharing spectrum -- making wifi/radio juggling much much trickier. (how can they not have used the spectrum friendly 1.2 ?)

3. adopting a new memory/file system without recognizing the damage it would impose on existing data storage -- and not apropriating the small incremental expense of upping the on board memory.

I'm not a P1 hater -- (I have written elsewhere in defense of the P1 people I met at the roadshow) -- but stupidity must be recognized before it can be learned from and overcome.