Page 47 of 66 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
    Ok guys, one final post from me for the night. In regard to how we might "fix" the driver to where a hard reset is not needed to restore vision.

It's possible that Euroclie and I together can write a application to install and remove the network library that this driver uses. We'd need to be able to:

1) Change the name to the net.lib, install it, and reboot
    2) Un-load it, change the name to some non-conflicting name, reboot

But these rely on if we can in fact change the system library while it's running. I'm sure a developer with experience could do this easily, but for us it might take some time. Just wanted to let you know, there's hope. In the meantime, it's not too difficult to keep the installer on the sd card, install when needed, and hard reset and install a backup whenever you want to go back to vision... So, enjoy, and we'll see what more we can do...

Sorry to you 600 users, the thought never even occured to me before that the assembly low level sdio routines are not compatible between these two cpu's...

Goodnight everyone, and thanks to those who are helping to cover the costs of this project! Have fun!
    Three cheers!
    Nice job! While I really don't have mch need for wi-fi now, I'll be following furthur progress on them. This just proves what I tell people time and again. The open source model works wonders on tackling real-world end user problems. If only major software companies would come to see this...
    ...This ain't a phone or a PDA, It's a way of life!
    for all your multimedia needs, it's gotta be Starrwulfe Ltd!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Well, been following the thread for a while - have a T600 - had a T650 in my hands, and sold it to someone else as I had memory concerns. But I can say this - Shadowmite simply deserves a donation. The work he has done is simply amazing - and his dedication to the project is the kind that I wish every one of the computer people I work with showed towards working at a goal.

Don't have a device, but a donation is on the way. Great job!
    I can't believe I read the whole thing!

Great thread. Paypal mail on the way!
    Just talked to a friend, he works as a project manager in a Taiwan company. He commited to release a SD WiFi card with PPC/WM2003/Linux/Palm support, and Treo 600/650 support ready!!!!!!!!!

He said that the driver is written by a japanease group, and have tested in real enviroment. They are preparing for package and manual, and the product will be delivered next week!!!!!!!

I'll get one at the first time, just wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    If there is a a VoIP application for Palm...

perhaps if there was a larger palm user base that was wifi enabled, Skype might make the effort to adapt their software.
    Shadowmite, congratulations and good job. Awesome!

And please, anyone who cares, email Skype to continue work on the Palm version. I have used it on the PocketPC (in addition to PC) and it works like magic over WiFi. It's like a dream come true. Skype at one point advertised a future palm version but has since removed it from the website. Email them and make some noise and maybe they're look at it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    ... In the meantime, it's not too difficult to keep the installer on the sd card, install when needed, and hard reset and install a backup whenever you want to go back to vision... So, enjoy, and we'll see what more we can do...

Shadowmite-- am I understanding you to say that thngs are already quite usable -- except for vision users ??

I will be eventually evaluating a V.C. GSM 650 -- perhaps from what you've said it'll be simpler to deal with, because it lacks sprints vision etc.

BTW, wonderful job deciphering a wifi solution.

i'll happily deliver on my early modest pledge, though i've no 650 yet.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Okay everyone, I know this is a stupid question, but I have wifi working on my 650 but how do I surf the web and get the blazer web browser to work or to be configured or to recognize the wifi connection on my 650?

Second question... after I load the wifi drivers, I can't turn the phone off. If you turn the phone off by the power button, it resets the phone. I even tried the always on program and set it for a 10 second shut off time it stills resets the phone.

Any thoughts on my first question?

Thanks,

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1107
    Okay everyone, I know this is a stupid question, but I have wifi working on my 650 but how do I surf the web and get the blazer web browser to work or to be configured or to recognize the wifi connection on my 650?

Mark
    Blazer is still looking for a proxy server through vision and might need a little help in order for it to run off the wifi card. It could be just a simple patch in order to get that and versa mail to work right. As for the phone not shutting off, um, yea, it is still only a "rough" version so we will see if that is overcome by further updates to shadowmite's original patch.
    Last edited by kidlatj; 12/16/2004 at 01:30 AM.
    Palm Piliot pro w/2mg upgrade,
    Prism Visorphone,
    Visor Edge
    PalmV
    Kyocera 7135,
    Treo 600,
    Treo 650.
    wow....congratulations shadowmite and team....this is real hero stuff ...I am so grateful to you all...Thank you and a donation will be on its way...

iZ
    Quote Originally Posted by lllppp
    Just talked to a friend, he works as a project manager in a Taiwan company. He commited to release a SD WiFi card with PPC/WM2003/Linux/Palm support, and Treo 600/650 support ready!!!!!!!!!

He said that the driver is written by a japanease group, and have tested in real enviroment. They are preparing for package and manual, and the product will be delivered next week!!!!!!!

I'll get one at the first time, just wait...
    sounds too surreal to be true ... ah, xmas coming ...
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    I have stayed out of this thread so that shadowmite and company could work on this unencumbered. But I can't stay out any longer for two reasons. 1) congratulations to shadowmite, euroclie, and all the others that have helped out on this 2) I'm sick and tired of the comments slamming P1 for not releasing the Wifi drivers. I agree with bigboy that people doing this do not understand the process and would probably be the same people that would ***** and moan about the crappy drivers if P1 released them prematurely. I deal every day with customers that everything rightnow with no bugs and oh yeah, it had better be cheap. I also agree with the comments that most likely Wifi hasn't been a top priority for P1 which has kept them from putting the resources on this project. Why it hasn't been a top priority is certainly open for debate but I'm guessing pressure from partners is the biggest reason.

When the donation method is (finally) setup I'm in for $20.
    there's a difference between promising something (working on a wifi-driver) and delivering and promising something and never really intending to deliver.
    Tremendous Kudos to shadowmite, euroclie etc for their incredible work and dedication to this project! I will shortly make a donation in appreciation of their efforts and I encourage others to do the same! Thanks for all the great work!!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    ...... can't... describe ..words ...should of sent a....poet...

-CK
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    there's a difference between promising something (working on a wifi-driver) and delivering and promising something and never really intending to deliver.
    and you know they never intend to deliver how? Ya know what? The thing I'm most tired of is people "knowing" exactly what P1 is doing, intending to do, not doing, or not intending to do. It just gets tiresome.

PCO
    OMG!! Congratulations!!I knew you guys could do it!! I'm so proud and I don't even have the phone yet. Sit back and enjoy your well deserved kudos!! (This was like a soap opera/action/adventure story...cliff hangers and all... first DUN now this...I wonder what the next T|C adventure will bring...this community truly does ROCK!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    and you know they never intend to deliver how? Ya know what? The thing I'm most tired of is people "knowing" exactly what P1 is doing, intending to do, not doing, or not intending to do. It just gets tiresome.

PCO
    You have to forgive those of use who purchased Treo 600s last year with a promise of Wi Fi in press releases and Wi Fi support pending clearly stated on the box. We have a good 14 months of track record in this area. Palm One's results have been pretty clear so far with this line of product. Seeing WiFi actually working on a Treo is neat (and great job to all involved) but should have been handled by Palm not by the good graces and effort by those that frequent this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    perhaps if there was a larger palm user base that was wifi enabled, Skype might make the effort to adapt their software.
    Well, back to topic, thanks to Shadowmite, he could have single handidly allowed this to happen!