Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 1320
  1. #741  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I think we should stop with the Sprint (or any other carrier, but especially Sprint) not wanting wifi. Sprint has invested in wifi spots that they could upsell access to like T-mobile does. Sprint also only offers an unlimited data that everyone would still get (for access on the road and such), so wifi only serves to greatly reduce the potential traffic on their network (which is a very good thing for Sprint). So let's recap, same or more money, less traffic on the network means better connections for all. We should be surprised that Sprint isn't chipping in with advice on how to get these wifi drivers going. Again, this is off-topic though, and if someone wants to start a thread on this (though there are about 200), we can continue there.
    Did you really think this thread wouldn't get hijacked with this post? Let's try to stay focused people (Sprint haters and lovers alike). For a while there it was just Shadow and Euroclie back and forth which IMHO is the most productive...
  2. #742  
    I agree that we are getting side tracked, but I appealed to a P1 representative for help with this project yesterday in an e-mail and this is what i got as a response.

    "Hello Nevin,

    Thanks for your email. Sorry, but such technical aspects are way beyond my expertise. I have followed the thread with great interest and can gaurantee that palmOne continues to be updated on it. Best I can do.

    Best,

    Paul Novotny
  3.    #743  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragan
    Did you really think this thread wouldn't get hijacked with this post? Let's try to stay focused people (Sprint haters and lovers alike). For a while there it was just Shadow and Euroclie back and forth which IMHO is the most productive...
    I agree. I thought it might get hijacked which is why I suggested that it be continued in another thread. However, I couldn't let it just go for the 100th time that people keep saying that Sprint or another carrier is against it when all the evidence shows that they would be for it. It's rumors like this that get posted once or twice and spread a lot that make people think that the Treo 600's wifi slot is under-powered despite the fact that there's only one BrightHand that mentions that's what SanDisk says -- not exactly a proven case.

    Mods, please feel free to clean up this sidetracked stuff into another thread if you deem it worthwhile.
  4. #744  
    I'll thrown in $10.
  5. spotter's Avatar
    Posts
    316 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #745  
    well, it looks like we'd be able to write a cobalt driver w/o a problem.

    http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl...id=190&tid=106
  6. #746  
    Well I can't get much done today from work, I've neglected to install the cygwin portion of the developer suite, and can't compile my code... I'll have to do this later unless someone else can write up a quick app for us to install a library into memory as net.lib.
  7. #747  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrisonmuscle
    I agree that we are getting side tracked, but I appealed to a P1 representative for help with this project yesterday in an e-mail and this is what i got as a response.

    "Hello Nevin,

    Thanks for your email. Sorry, but such technical aspects are way beyond my expertise. I have followed the thread with great interest and can gaurantee that palmOne continues to be updated on it. Best I can do.

    Best,

    Paul Novotny
    I don't know if this was mentioned but it might be helpful to create a project on sourceforge for this. Its alot better for sharing code and collaboration.
  8. #748  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    I don't know if this was mentioned but it might be helpful to create a project on sourceforge for this. Its alot better for sharing code and collaboration.
    We don't have source code TreoStallion. If we did, this wouldn't be an issue to begin with... If Palm created this project on sorceforge, well, I'd die and go to heaven...
  9. #749  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    We don't have source code TreoStallion. If we did, this wouldn't be an issue to begin with... If Palm created this project on sorceforge, well, I'd die and go to heaven...
    Hehe... thats true but it would still get the real work away from everyone whos throwing out consipracy theories etc..
  10. #750  
    I'll throw in $5, and now I'm weary from scanning through 38 pages of near ecstasy.

    Good luck guys!
  11. #751  
    I gotta say, I don't even want WiFi on my 650 and I still find this process more gripping than a good thriller.

    I'm really rooting for all you guys to get this to work, just for the shear joy of having this community do something Palm couldn't.
  12. #752  
    if someone ever sets up a way to ACTUALLY donate money direct to Shadowmite, Euroclie etc - please be sure to make it a big blinking neon sign on the front page... wifi cards, WAPs, books, spare treos - get them whatever they need to make this happen!
  13. spotter's Avatar
    Posts
    316 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #753  
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshark
    if someone ever sets up a way to ACTUALLY donate money direct to Shadowmite, Euroclie etc - please be sure to make it a big blinking neon sign on the front page... wifi cards, WAPs, books, spare treos - get them whatever they need to make this happen!
    at this point, it's harder said than done. it's not a quick hack, anyone involved probbaly has to take a step back and try to see how things work to get it to really work well.
  14. #754  
    I am very greatful for all of your efforts guys. But, I don't really think if can be done. After reading the PDF of Palmsource's acquisition of moblesoft. I am convienced they know that their OS even OS6 will not be able to do all people want effectivly or at all.
    Wifi, Multimedia, 3G etc. If yo have a chance check out www.linuxdevices.com. I was impressed with the functions of all of their smartphones. Kudos to PS.

    I am not saying stop trying. I will be happy if you get wifi to work. But, like it was said to me at the road show "it is not just a matter of slapping in drivers. It is much more complicated than that."

    Cheers
  15.    #755  
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I am very greatful for all of your efforts guys. But, I don't really think if can be done. After reading the PDF of Palmsource's acquisition of moblesoft. I am convienced they know that their OS even OS6 will not be able to do all people want effectivly or at all.
    Wifi, Multimedia, 3G etc. If yo have a chance check out www.linuxdevices.com. I was impressed with the functions of all of their smartphones. Kudos to PS.

    I am not saying stop trying. I will be happy if you get wifi to work. But, like it was said to me at the road show "it is not just a matter of slapping in drivers. It is much more complicated than that."

    Cheers
    Their OS supports wifi for pretty much any other PalmOS device, so I wouldn't take that as a sign of anything. And to this point, it does seem like it is "just a matter of slapping in drivers" as people have already gotten the card to work to some degree (i.e. see the network and such). I think if the source code was open sourced ShadowMite and EuroClie would be done by lunchtime (though not sure in who's timezone )
  16. spotter's Avatar
    Posts
    316 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #756  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    And to this point, it does seem like it is "just a matter of slapping in drivers" as people have already gotten the card to work to some degree (i.e. see the network and such).
    that's my point. people have slapped in the drivers, got them to transmit, got them to receive (so the driver was doing something) but then things stopped. i.e. there's some interaction we dont know or understand that's going on. Hence, it's a bit more than just slapping them in. In my humble opinion these drivers probably could be made to work, but one has to take a step back and see how everything in the palm fits together.
  17. #757  
    being that P1 is monitoring this thread, im curious if they have made shadow &Euro job offers yet? Good for them, bad for TC...unless the can be hired as tech liasons, given source code for user support... that would be awesome!
  18. #758  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    being that P1 is monitoring this thread, im curious if they have made shadow &Euro job offers yet? Good for them, bad for TC...unless the can be hired as tech liasons, given source code for user support... that would be awesome!
    No offer from PalmOne for me yet...

    But as far as I'm concerned, not being sued or sent to jail for hacking their driver is good enough for me, I already have a very good job, and my computer skills wouldn't let me play in the pro field anyway...

    shadowmite: did you write a library load/unload application yet? I'm working on that (using the Standard IO API to make a Network Pref panel plugin), but I have to (re)learn C as I write the code, so my progress are slow at best!
  19. #759  
    Even with all of the wonderful work they are doing. There is no Palm OS device that has Bluetooth and wifi and a phone connection. The software is not designed to handle that. I bet even WITH the source codes we will still run into major if not irritating unrelibility with the drivers. I think that is where palm is RIGHT NOW.
  20. #760  
    Nope, no job offer yet here either! But I'd heavily consider taking it if I got one! My current job is beginning to bore me with only working on 1.5+ terabit per second connections and OC192/48/12 etc etc...

    So, euroclie, how's the code coming? I began writting it but got swamped with work yesterday. Should be fairly simple, do a hello world style program with two buttons. One causes a systraplibload/install, and the other does a libremove... We have to rename the library, and change the creator ID. I'm still not certain if we can hotswap a main system library while running but this is the only way to find out! There is still the possibility of changing the reference to the call. Hopefully I'll have the time today to figure out some more.

    Keep up with your attempts to write the program! It's always good to re-learn C... I remember my first use of malloc() (dumping memory on a secure cray ymp!)

    -----------
    Oh, one more thing... Has anyone else noticed with our driver attempts the camera program stops working and can not longer find the camera until the next hard reset? I'm thinking one of the low level drivers could be messing with it...

Posting Permissions