Page 30 of 66 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Ok, grumble grumble, I'll post again... After testing myself, 3.1 sure enough works! Our testing minions weren't doing a very complete test afterall! My phone was able to find my home wifi link, talk to it via 104 bit wep key, and I am now trying to access the net. It's flakey as heck, but the card sees the link, and tries to access the net. It appears DNS does not work, and I'm trying to find ways to test it's functionality. I think the major issue remaining is the firmware update...
    You are the man..!

Al
    I sat here tonight, and for the first time, read this thread from beginning to end like it was the best story I had come across in a very long time, and not wanting the story to finish unless it had a happy ending.

Several things made me proud to be a member of this forum. The enthusiam to accomplish such a feat just continued to build as more people took on the challenge. The energy in this thread continued to rise, even when they felt for a moment that they'd hit a snag.

Now what pissed me off was the fact that everyone wants this, yet some people had the nerve to say shadow should get what he needs (out of his own pocket) AND test this himself. The best one was the comment about him possibly NOT having a wi-fi card (after all this time.) The talk about getting one to him, but that never happened. Why, because everyone is still waiting for him to get his own. Wait, I think the one that really beats all was "he can get himself a T|5, and a card, and when he is done, return the T|5 and keep the card.....as we brag about how big the "kitty" has gotten.

People are willing to donate IF this works, but what about the time and effort it takes to get to the IF process. Why are people only rewarded IF something turns out right?

Whether they pull this off or not, these gentleman have done one hell of a job thus far with extremely minimal resources.

bmacfarland for initially starting this thread. He's great at starting some interesting threads.

mikec for suggesting to get Shadow on this. Shadow, this is all your fault; look what you did with DUN!

By the time I started my reply, Shadow had reached the point of frustration. People jumping in talking about the blazer browser and all other kinds of choas thrown in the mix? IMHO, the moderators could have moved such post where they rightfully belong. Come on now!

If everyone feels that "The Treo Community" is depending on these guys, then step to the plate and get these guys what they need. It shouldnt matter whether its a router, wi-fi card, a T|5, red-vines, or Pepsi - help them out!

Shadow took off like the Olympic torch ruuner; joining him, Kenundrum, ls3mach, euroclie, mark1107, vetie, edeab220. I hope they succeed, and IF for any reason they dont, it wont be because they didnt try their hardest!

Developememt is costly!
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Ok, grumble grumble, I'll post again... After testing myself, 3.1 sure enough works! Our testing minions weren't doing a very complete test afterall! My phone was able to find my home wifi link, talk to it via 104 bit wep key, and I am now trying to access the net. It's flakey as heck, but the card sees the link, and tries to access the net. It appears DNS does not work, and I'm trying to find ways to test it's functionality. I think the major issue remaining is the firmware update...
    Hi Shadow, GREAT WORK!!!

I tried 7 ways to Sunday to make 3.1 work by just installing the files in the zip. I couldn't get it to work on my end. I worked late last night, doing different things ( I know how to do a hard reset on my 650 now )
    but was never successful in even getting the light to come on or seeing my network. Thanks for all of the hard work and never giving up!!!
    Last edited by vetie; 12/04/2004 at 07:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    I sat here tonight, and for the first time, read this thread from beginning to end like it was the best story I had come across in a very long time, and not wanting the story to finish unless it had a happy ending.

Several things made me proud to be a member of this forum. The enthusiam to accomplish such a feat just continued to build as more people took on the challenge. The energy in this thread continued to rise, even when they felt for a moment that they'd hit a snag.

Now what pissed me off was the fact that everyone wants this, yet some people had the nerve to say shadow should get what he needs (out of his own pocket) AND test this himself. The best one was the comment about him possibly NOT having a wi-fi card (after all this time.) The talk about getting one to him, but that never happened. Why, because everyone is still waiting for him to get his own. Wait, I think the one that really beats all was "he can get himself a T|5, and a card, and when he is done, return the T|5 and keep the card.....as we brag about how big the "kitty" has gotten.

People are willing to donate IF this works, but what about the time and effort it takes to get to the IF process. Why are people only rewarded IF something turns out right?

Whether they pull this off or not, these gentleman have done one hell of a job thus far with extremely minimal resources.

bmacfarland for initially starting this thread. He's great at starting some interesting threads.

mikec for suggesting to get Shadow on this. Shadow, this is all your fault; look what you did with DUN!

By the time I started my reply, Shadow had reached the point of frustration. People jumping in talking about the blazer browser and all other kinds of choas thrown in the mix? IMHO, the moderators could have moved such post where they rightfully belong. Come on now!

If everyone feels that "The Treo Community" is depending on these guys, then step to the plate and get these guys what they need. It shouldnt matter whether its a router, wi-fi card, a T|5, red-vines, or Pepsi - help them out!

Shadow took off like the Olympic torch ruuner; joining him, Kenundrum, ls3mach, euroclie, mark1107, vetie, edeab220. I hope they succeed, and IF for any reason they dont, it wont be because they didnt try their hardest!

Developememt is costly!
    Hi Scandalex,

I think you forgot that several people have volunteered to collect the money and forward it to Shadowmite. I agree with you that some people should read the whole thread and not post such comments. I have followed attentively the development of this story and even volunteered some money. The TC staff was supposed to do something about collecting the money. I'm still waiting to see where to send the money. I think most people who volunteered to give some money to the "kitty" are also waiting to find out where to send the money... I don't think we are just sitting back and waiting to see if this works before wanting to send the money... I know I'm not waiting for this. They can have the money no matter if it works or not and if they need it to buy some material then lets do it. (Shadowmite should at least get the refund for the P1 WIFI card).

So, TC, how about collecting the money???
    Well, if all that happens, all you're probably missing is the Fake Net Library. If you have that, then forget my post

hmm...try the new AvantGo Beta 5. Try to update it via WiFi...
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    Shadow,

Virtual testing has its limitations.

Please do not give up.

We will send you a card, and you can do it yourself (although it sounds like you got one already?).

No muss, no fuss.
    Last edited by mikec; 12/04/2004 at 08:15 AM.
    The kitty is at $875...let's keep it coming.

Re: collection, as soon as Shadow indicates how/when he wants to do it, then the ball will roll.
    Shadow;

CompUSA in Schaumburg had one P1 wifi. I can still FX if you need it.

Awesome work guys!!!!
    where is shadow located? for that matter where is TC based out of?
    btw..thought it strange that I saw new member with similar name to shadowmite join late last nite.
    keep the faith guys....watching here from sunny florida...originally from cold Illinois.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    btw..thought it strange that I saw new member with similar name to shadowmite join late last nite.
    shadohmite joined last night. He has the same avatar as the real Shadowmite......my guess is he's eyeing the $850+ kitty and wants it for himself. TC should ban his IP.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    where is shadow located? for that matter where is TC based out of?
    keep the faith guys....watching here from sunny florida...originally from cold Illinois.
    lets not discuss the identity of shadow or his location etc in a public forum please...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    shadohmite joined last night. He has the same avatar as the real Shadowmite......my guess is he's eyeing the $850+ kitty and wants it for himself. TC should ban his IP.
    I couldnt agree with you more. The last thing we need around here is an inpersonator! There was someone else not so very long ago that did this to another valued member and TC removed that guys avatar; hope they can remove this avatar and block the name as well or something to that effect.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    no disrespect or prying...just was wondering feasability of fedexing shadow wifi card as has been suggested if he is outside usa..thats all... goosefabra
    it could have been shadowmite himself wanting a break & not be bombarded w/messages.... understandable... who knows...
    I, for one, am amazed at what has happened here. I would be happy to purchase a WIFI card directly and FedEx it to wherever shadowmite needs it. That goes for anything else he needs. To keep his identity and location quiet I could forward it to another person who already knows his location and they can get it to him. Any other ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by scolidoc
    Hi Scandalex,

I think you forgot that several people have volunteered to collect the money and forward it to Shadowmite. I agree with you that some people should read the whole thread and not post such comments. I have followed attentively the development of this story and even volunteered some money. The TC staff was supposed to do something about collecting the money. I'm still waiting to see where to send the money. I think most people who volunteered to give some money to the "kitty" are also waiting to find out where to send the money... I don't think we are just sitting back and waiting to see if this works before wanting to send the money... I know I'm not waiting for this. They can have the money no matter if it works or not and if they need it to buy some material then lets do it. (Shadowmite should at least get the refund for the P1 WIFI card).

So, TC, how about collecting the money???
    No, I didnt forget at all.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Hey guys, good morning... Thanks for all the concern etc. That other shadow guy as you all mentioned is not me, nor was I even aware of it.

Today I'll get going trying to get a standard way of making these drivers work, and stablize them. A hard part is going to be the firmware upgrade as we have mentioned before. It could well be that the drivers just are not stable without that as these drivers were written for the firmware in the first place. It might be a good idea for me to take a look at the drivers included on the CD that were meant for the T3...

I did buy my own wifi card in order to simplify this part of the game (just to clarify, I got it last night after getting frazzled by were this testing was heading).

If anyone wants to try getting 3.1 to work as well, be my guest. Kenundrum had originally seen it working, and so have I, but it quickly looses the ability to get a good signal. We'll try and figure this out. And yes, it could be the fake net lib's which I removed. But we need to make sure of how they work. If they are supposed to be loaded, or just supposed to replace the real ones (WE DONT WANT THAT!). Also, the pm net library that is included is slightly different than the 650's. We need to understand these interdependency issues rather than try to randomly throw files into the mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7r302|_|X0rs
    Dude...
    With ONLY 2 post to your credit (neither of which are about anything), you come on this forum and dare to blast someone for trying to help one our esteemed members out; how dare you!

Seems you are the one that needs to have another soda and relax, pal! Or maybe you've had too many already!
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 12/04/2004 at 01:57 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate quote
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    OK, i have sat on my hands in this thread as long as I can stand it!! This whole thing reads much more like a Neil Stephenson novel (Cryptonomicon anyone?) than any BB thread I have ever been involved in!

First off, I would like to heap extreme kudos on all of the technoids involved in this! I have really enjoyed watching the process, no matter how this all ends up. Shadow and crew this has all been amazing!

Second, I am happy to voluteer to test (I have a T650, T3 , P1 WiFi card and a Linksys 802.11B WAP/router and a Belkin G access point attached to a Dlink router). However if you are going to limit testing to existing people I completely understand.

if you do open it up, perhaps a checklist from the coders would be appropriate to make sure that feedback and process is in the format that you want it? Pleas note that I am voluteering here, not inviting myself to the party....

Lastly, please count me in for $20 whether or not there is a resolution. Is there anyway to email Diet Pepsi?

Keep up the good work all!
    I hate it when somebody has a cooler
    toy than me...
    I agree scandelex!
    mods...can u can than non contributing j*rk?!!
    @ least I have helped many on this forum & didn't deserve that reply. I don't care who shadowmite is... just wanted to help.... & I did point out the possibility of an imposter.