Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    Pretty sad that they have drivers and intentionaly put in code to check if the device is a 650, and if so, not let the driver work. Seems like what PalmOne says at the Roadshow (the development ofWiFi Drivers would take away from 700 development)and what they do in reality are two different things. Hope Shadowmite's "fix" works if nothing more to expose the lies that PalmOne keeps putting out about WiFi in the Treo and how "hard" it would be develop drivers.

Also if it works it should be posted loud and clear that Palm is intentionally disabling drivers for WiFi on the 650. Maybe raising enough hell with this company will make them realize that they need to stay a little more honest with their customers.
    It's more likely that they didn't have time or resources to test it completely on the T650. Programs routinely have "features" in them that are not accessible because there isn't time to test them properly. I don't see this as P1 being deceitful or lying to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    For right now I'd like to wait on hosting it to everyone until we can get someone to try it... If my DUN patch is any example, the file will spread quickly and I don't want to spread a non-working driver.

I've got it installing properly, but the wifi config screen never comes up asking for the card to be entered. I'm working on it...
    well then i guess i'm taking a trip to best buy or compusa...
    i personally have no use for a wifi card on my treo, but i love the idea of helping you guys out... i've got 6 650s in my office just sitting (no... you guys can't have them) each has a different configuration that we're testing...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Well, I got the drivers to install on the simulator just fine now... File is a little big... 1.02 meg... Can we get Treo Central to host the file? Heck, I don't even know if it'll work since I don't have a card!...
    We should get you a card to fully test....Are they available at Best Buy?
    You can return there with no hassle.

I'll kick in to get shadow a card to test...I'll put in $5.

Whose next? Let's keep running total.
    Hey, if anyone has the Zire, T3 or T5 and can actually install these drivers properly, I'd like to know what changes are made. Does it come up in the prefs menu? Does it install a app to configure the card? When I get it installed, nothing appears different although the files are all there in ram...
    if he can return it without a problem then shouldn't he just go and get one and then return it. or even better let him go get one and if it works we should chip in to cover the cost. if no he can just return it!
    shadowmite - are there no t5 simulators etc to try this on?
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty
    if he can return it without a problem then shouldn't he just go and get one and then return it. or even better let him go get one and if it works we should chip in to cover the cost. if no he can just return it!
    Not a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by swifty
    shadowmite - are there no t5 simulators etc to try this on?
    Also not a bad idea... I'll give it a try, but it's not the same... I can't run the actual install program like it's supposed to on the sim...
    Last edited by shadowmite; 11/30/2004 at 12:23 PM.
    Shadowmite, set up a PayPal account, I'm in for $10.
    yea, i can't find any stores where you dont risk the restocking fee... it seems that only compusa has it, bestbuy, circtuit city, radioshack dont carry it. those are the only ones i can think of near me in the northeast
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Set up a Paypal account, I am in for $5. Even if you cannot make it work I would not be upset over the loss of funds.

Or if you do not wish to setup an account, I will accept payment and send you a check or money order. Hell I could even order the card online from Compusa and have it shipped to you. If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, I will post my account address. If you guys dont trust me, than volunteer someone else to do this, but lets get him a damn card to test with, or is the problem that he doesnt have a 650. I cant loan mine out. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    It's more likely that they didn't have time or resources to test it completely on the T650. Programs routinely have "features" in them that are not accessible because there isn't time to test them properly. I don't see this as P1 being deceitful or lying to us.
    It appears that they didn't have the time or the resources to test the 650 completely (Memory Problems!!!!!). I can see them saying that it is only supported on specific devices, but they apparently went out of their way to make this DRIVER not work with the 650. Maybe they want to make sure we buy the 700 in a year .
    I agree with ls3mach. At the very least I think we can cover the 15% restocking fee with the the $25 that's already pledged. Shadowmite, go buy one! We've got your back.
    Thanks everyone for the offer of donations. Since I do have to purchase a wifi card I will consider it, although I'd like to wait until I get some clarification on if this will work. I'd just feel wrong taking a donation for something that doesn't work...

-----------

On to the news... The T5 sim seems to launch the Wi-Fi Config program after the install of the drivers. So there does appear to be something different. I am now going to see if I can fix this or if it even matters since it appears to only check the cards firmware and diagnostics...
    Thanks everyone for the offer of donations. Since I do have to purchase a wifi card I will consider it, although I'd like to wait until I get some clarification on if this will work. I'd just feel wrong taking a donation for something that doesn't work...

-----------

On to the news... The T5 sim seems to launch the Wi-Fi Config program after the install of the drivers. So there does appear to be something different. I am now going to see if I can fix this or if it even matters since it appears to only check the cards firmware and diagnostics...
    It's not wrong to try, at least to me. This is like funding an R&D project.
    You've already been vetted via your BT DUN work, so the trust is there.

We are at $25....can someone kick in a little more?
    shadowmite, so go get it and as swingline says, the restocking fee can be covered. and if you DON'T have to restock it - i.e. you get it to work :-) I'm sure we can all cover it!
    I'm in for $5.00. DO IT!!!!
    I'll happily chip in $5 toward getting Shadowmite a card to buy and test --

Shadowmite --many folks are begging for wifi on the 650 -- and would be happy if you kept more than the cost of the card to compensate for your work on the project. Set up a paypal account and lets see where we can get to...
    $10 here.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I'll happily chip in $5 toward getting Shadowmite a card to buy and test --

Shadowmite --many folks are begging for wifi on the 650 -- and would be happy if you kept more than the cost of the card to compensate for your work on the project. Set up a paypal account and lets see where we can get to...
    $35 plus $5 from me makes $40. Go shadowmite. Where were you a year ago?
    $50 total, skfny's post came in a minute late.
Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast