1.    #1  
    Now that we've had 10 days to play with our new Treo 650's, it's time to get the suggestion list going for mythical Treo 700. Let's ignore the obvious (256 MB ram; WiFi; EV-DO; etc.) and no cheap shots (e.g. how about a phone that you don't always have to be asking "Can you hear me now?") and focus on design issues that would make the next model even better. Here goes:

1. Use standard barrel connection AC adapter. You put a converter tip in with the Treo 650 - so why not just use a standard (and sturdier) barrel connector in place of this funky "snapping" connector.

2. Put the antennae INSIDE the phone where it belong.

3. Use an OLED full size (320x480, or even VGA) screen which slides up to expose the Treo keyboard. The OLED screen would keep the overall dimensions thin.

4. Remote control quality IR port.

5. Program the 5-way button to allow starting over Keyguard with a double push, instead of having to push two keys.

6. How about a removable flip cover (left to right, or vice versa) for those of us who insist on keeping this puppy in our pants pocket.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 11/30/2004 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Correct the title
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

2. Put the antennae INSIDE the phone where it belong.

3. Use an OLED full size (320x480, or even VGA) screen which slides up to expose the Treo keyboard. The OLED screen would keep the overall dimensions thin.

4. Remote control quality IR port.
    The PPC 6600/1 appears to meet at least these criteria... though the screen is not OLED and its resolution is only 240 x 320....
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  3.    #3  
    Dalai:

You're right - but I want it all in the Treo 650 form factor (or smaller).
    The problem with #3 is, if you make the screen longer, either the phone gets longer too or the 5 way pad gets moved down, making it more difficult to "one-hand" it.

How about a standard headset jack that doesn't require an adapter to listen to stereo? Or at least include the adapter in the box. The $2 that the adapter costs them won't break P1.
    Dalai:

You're right - but I want it all in the Treo 650 form factor (or smaller).
    As do all of us. And preferably with PalmOS (dare I say "Cobalt"?)

But that isn't yet available. I am waiting to hear from my Sprint rep. Hopefully, he will let me demo a 6601. I might go to that for a year while waiting for the 650's memory (and other) problems to be ironed out. Of course, that might well happen in the form of the Treo 700. I still think there is a small but significant chance Apple and Palm will cooperate on a phone someday, and you might well see the iPodTreo1000 at an Apple store near you!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    I still think there is a small but significant chance Apple and Palm will cooperate on a phone someday, and you might well see the iPodTreo1000 at an Apple store near you!
    Make it so....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko

Something looks remarkably similar to this new style of Treo that you wish for... What is it??? Oh yeah, this:

http://pocketpcdubai.com/i-mate_PPC/...imatePDA2k.jpg
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
  9.    #9  
    ocean18:

Oh no, NOT THAT.

1. Too big (even the Treo 650 stretches the limits for me).

2. PPC (sorry, no M$oft for my phone - it would be like...oops, I promised myself never to go there again and start flame wars over PPC)

3. Screen is only 240x320

However, the slider design, as Dalai pointed out above, is what I want.
    5. Program the 5-way button to allow starting over Keyguard with a double push, instead of having to push two keys.
    I think that's done intentionally because it's far less likely to accidentally unlock the phone with a two key combo than a one key combo twice.