Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,
    I have tried to ask this before but I think it got buried in other threads. Does PalmOne intend to give a 128MB card or was that a rumor? If yes, how do you get it?
    Thanks,

Eric
    Read the front page article on "PalmOne Responds to Memory Concerns."
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, guess you have to call and ask eh.
    Eric
    I called last night and was told that palm one never released that article. The guy specifically mentioned treocentral and said that it was not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoFever
    I called last night and was told that palm one never released that article. The guy specifically mentioned treocentral and said that it was not true.
    Now THAT sounds like a true PalmOne type response. In fact, what do you want to bet that the the software fix (patching the file system?) keeps slipping until the even newer Treo 700 is well into "rumor - we just got to wait 6 more months" mode which will stem the desire of us geeks for that Treo 650 fix.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoFever
    Well, its not juat on TC at this point but all over the Trade web-journals like C-NET

http://news.com.com/PalmOne+moves+to...3-5469737.html

Now they may have just grabbed this from TC for all I know, but if they don't do this, the PRPRPR $fallout$ $will$ $be$ $even$ $worse$ $than$ $the$ $original$ $memory$ $mess$ $story$
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Well, its not juat on TC at this point but all over the Trade web-journals like C-NET

http://news.com.com/PalmOne+moves+to...3-5469737.html

Now they may have just grabbed this from TC for all I know, but if they don't do this, the PRPRPR $fallout$ $will$ $be$ $even$ $worse$ $than$ $the$ $original$ $memory$ $mess$ $story$
    I doubt it. They are betting that they have silenced us.

I have just gone back and reviewed the TC "story." The only citation to Palm One in the story is the one to the "detailed explanation." This is not a detailed explanation at all. It is a promotion for the NVFS and is essentially silent on the problem. It points out that if you are migrating to the 650 from an 8meg Palm device, or indeed, almost any Palm device other than the 600, you are not likely to have a problem. For the 600, they offer a number of workarounds.

I cannot find any mention of the 128M card on the Palm One site. I cannot find a press release on which the TC story might be based. Other than the discussion on the support page, I can find no mention of this problem on Palm One. I can find no mention on the Palm One site of a fundamental fix to the memory problem. If I did not have the TC story and relied exclusively on what I could find on the Palm One site, I would conclude that the words on the support page are the fix.

I think that TC owes us some corroboration for their story.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I think that TC owes us some corroboration for their story.
    I agree. The majority of the article was written inside quote marks, indicating that it was Palm One who was talking.

Marcus, can you confirm how Palm One communicated the free SD card information to you??
    KitMoni
    In the FWIW department. Anybody that has GoogleAlerts for palm will have gotten the CNET version of the article in their EMail, so, potentially, a lot more folks than just the TC crowd know about it now.
    In the FWIW department. Anybody that has GoogleAlerts for palm will have gotten the CNET version of the article in their EMail, so, potentially, a lot more folks than just the TC crowd know about it now.
    What will P1 do, what will P1 do? {cue cliff-hanger music.}
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I sent the reporter from CNET the link to this thread, here is his response that I just got:

Hi,
    I spoke and emailed with a representative from PalmOne for this story.
    Here's an excerpt from the email thread:

- make available a free 128MB SD expansion card to Treo 650 purchasers
    on request to help with memory management until the ROM upgrade becomes
    available . (Details on this program will be posted on the support site
    in early December.)

They seemed to have been caught off guard by this memory file system
    issue and were throwing together their plans as they went along. They
    may not have been able to tell all their support people about the new
    plans. Please let me know if you continue to hear that the story is
    false.
    Thanks
    Richard

Richard Shim
    Reporter
    CNET Networks, News.com
    Yes, and what was the authority for the CNET story?
    Oh, Lord! Now they can't even cough up a $5 SD card? I'm a paranoid whiner, alright. Yup, yup, yup. Hopefully, midmofan's information will turn out to be correct.
    Last edited by Dalai Lama; 11/30/2004 at 11:10 AM.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    I sent the reporter from CNET the link to this thread, here is his response that I just got:

Hi,
    I spoke and emailed with a representative from PalmOne for this story.
    Here's an excerpt from the email thread:

- make available a free 128MB SD expansion card to Treo 650 purchasers
    on request to help with memory management until the ROM upgrade becomes
    available . (Details on this program will be posted on the support site
    in early December.)

They seemed to have been caught off guard by this memory file system
    issue and were throwing together their plans as they went along. They
    may not have been able to tell all their support people about the new
    plans. Please let me know if you continue to hear that the story is
    false.
    Thanks
    Richard

Richard Shim
    Reporter
    CNET Networks, News.com

Based on the post from midmofan I think it's obvious that there will be a 128mb card and a ROM fix, but that not all CSRs have yet been briefed on how to answer customer questions regarding the memory issue.

At every company (at least every company I've ever been involved with,) it's very clear who is allowed and who isn't allowed to answer questions from the press and it is very unlikely that an executive or PRPRPR $rep$ $at$ $P1$ $confirmed$ $the$ $CNet$ $story$ $without$ $authority$ $and$ $without$ $the$ $facts$ $being$ $true$, $because$ $otherwise$ $P1$ $would$ $have$ $taken$ $their$ $memory$ $blunder$ $and$ $made$ $it$ $a$ $memory$ $castastropy$ ($by$ $lying$ $to$ $the$ $press$.) $Obviously$ $that$ $is$ $highly$ $unlikely$ $so$ $I$ $think$ $we$ $can$ $all$ $relax$ $and$ $wait$ $till$ $december$ $when$ $this$ $inforamtion$ $is$ $officially$ $released$ $at$ $which$ $time$ $all$ $you$ $lucky$ $650$ $owners$ $can$ $start$ $asking$ $for$ $your$ $128mb$ $memory$ $cards$.

Hopefully the official announcement will indicate a timeframe for ROM fix (and the delay in making the announcement is about P1 figuring out what type of ROM fix they will pursue and how long it will take.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    And before I move on to another thread. Heres to Richard from CNET who not only appears to have been on the ball and got independant confirmation of the story, but who took the time to read this thread and responded to my email right away
  16.    #17  
    And before I move on to another thread. Heres to Richard from CNET who not only appears to have been on the ball and got independant confirmation of the story, but who took the time to read this thread and responded to my email right away
    Glad I started the thread now. Finally, some answers...at least a positive step forward anyway.

Eric
    Is it just me or is PalmOne just completely screwed up the Treo product, and it's launch? They miss a huge memory issue, and when its caught and their stock starts to drop because of it they acknowlege and promise a fix, and the 128 MB card gesture. They don't inform anyone about how they will distribute the memory cards and don't properly inform their CSR's that they have offered this.

They have Roadshows and don't provide any devices to Vienna Channels to actually fill the orders in a timely manor, when these are the users that are going to be promoting the device to more coworkers and companies then probably any marketing that PalmOne is going to do.

Come on PalmOne, get your act together. You can't keep making huge mistakes and not expect to **** off your base, and the base is the ones who actually "pimp" your products to the rest of the world.

When someone finally does gets a 128 MB card ordered please post how you accomplished this because as soon as I get the 650 from VC I will be going after the card if for no other reason then to make Palm pay something for their carelessness (even if it only cost them $5). I think that all 650 buyers/users should request this card simply to make a point to PalmOne.
    Quote Originally Posted by lnichols
    When someone finally does gets a 128 MB card ordered please post how you accomplished this...
    I just spoke with P1 (the new sales line on 800-881-7256). This person informed me that there would be a specific procedure for ordering the card, but it won't released until early December. It will be posted on the Support web site, so we'll all have to keep checking.

Now if I only had a PDA that could remind me to check on December 1st... Oh wait, I DO!!!!
    KitMoni
  19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitmoni
    I just spoke with P1 (the new sales line on 800-881-7256). This person informed me that there would be a specific procedure for ordering the card, but it won't released until early December. It will be posted on the Support web site, so we'll all have to keep checking.

Now if I only had a PDA that could remind me to check on December 1st... Oh wait, I DO!!!!
    Could someone here also be so kind as to start a brand new thread with those precedures once they are released? (whoever sees it first)

Appreciate it.

Eric
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast