1.    #1  
    Web access is too slow on the Treo 650. I measured the connection speed using www.dslspeed.com/mspeed (cleared the cache before testing and used the 100k file to test). For the Sprint PCS proxy server I got 5kbit/s. When I switched to another proxy server I got 7 kbit/s, but it's still too slow to be useful. I was expecting close to 56kbit/s! Is it just me and my phone? Does anyone actually use the web access to look up a phone number for instance.
    Web access is very fast for me...usually above 100kbit/second. I typically spend a good amount of time on the web - it's fast enough that I frequently don't bother with mobile sites and go to full-featured ones.
    It's just you, I can get to nearly any website in like 3 seconds. I have even dropped my daily wifi "whine" it's so fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    It's just you, I can get to nearly any website in like 3 seconds. I have even dropped my daily wifi "whine" it's so fast.
    bmac is right. The new screnn/browser/connection/processor whatever make the Treo 650 a pleasure to use for web browsing. Maybe you've got a software or other conflict problem.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Way slow service in Chicago.
    What is your signal strength like? I usually get 1-2 bars at home and 3-4 bars at work. The web seems to work much faster at work or wherever I have a stronger signal.
    MarkY - I seem to get the same web experience whether 2 bars (home) or work (4 bars). Surprising how many people have the lower signal strength in residential areas.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how to disconnect a t650 from a web session without having to turn the phone off?
    Quote Originally Posted by sngtrkwr
    Does anyone know how to disconnect a t650 from a web session without having to turn the phone off?
    It should just timeout after about 10-seconds of inactivity or when you exit the web application.
    Thats's interesting since I am in Chicago as well and only get about 5-8k/sec when loading web pages. I wonder if something is wrong with the Chicago area. I have full strength too. I've never seen anything faster than like 12K/sec.

--Grant
    --
    Grant Gochnauer
    Treo 650 Owner
    http://www.gochnauer.org
    I believe there's a disconnect option in the prefs app under network.
    Has anyone had any luck trying to access paypal.com? Works fine in webpro. Not understanding why 4.0 can't get it.
    I consistently get over 100k at work, with four-bar signal strength, and "only" 15k-25k, sometimes less, at home, with one or two bars. The DSLReports test races right up to the 200kb test load without interruption at work, but "hangs" for seconds at a time along the way at home. For me, anyway, there's a a clear correlation between signal strength and download speed. The two locations are only 1.5 miles apart and, according to sprintsites.com, my home is closer to a tower than my office - so go figure. Maybe the fact that my office is on the fifth floor makes the difference.

I'm not complaining. I went from a 300 to a 650 - skipped the 600 because it had the same c****y screen as the 300 - and I'm in smartphone heaven.
  14.    #14  
    I reset the Sprint Vision Password and had to get the Treo to reconnect, "provision" as Sprint puts it. Now the internet works like a champ (100kbit/s). I don't know what the deal was originally, but it works now. Thanks for the replies guys.
    On another note if you go to the Keypad to dial and dial "##3283" it gets you to a screen for resetting/setting your Sprint Vision information. I found this out fron the Sprint rep.
    Grant:

I agree, Chicago sucks, no matter what the signal strength. It is a little faster during off hours, but always slow.