Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    is palmone already in the process of designing the treo 700 or 800, now that the treo 650 has been released?
    I've been wondering what type of production schedule they are operating on lately, since there are rumors surrounding dell and a poch
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    ... rumors surrounding dell and a pocket treo. handspring was widely known to have started the treo 600 immediately as the treo 300 was released, will palmone adopt the same approach? or will they wait a few months to start the assembly line again?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I really hope they are working on fixes for the 650, because the way things are right now for what is supposed to be a fourth generation phone, I would imagine a theoretical Treo700 could share a lot of the same problems...
    Long before a product is in production the next device(s) is being worked on - guaranteed.
    Seldom is right. I'd bet the mythical 700 (it slices, it dices, it will replace your Bass-O-Matic) was already in design before the Treo 650 was released. If not, it would end up being a 2006 device.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Seldom is right. I'd bet the mythical 700 (it slices, it dices, it will replace your Bass-O-Matic) was already in design before the Treo 650 was released. If not, it would end up being a 2006 device.
    the way the 650 was rolled out and the gsm version not even shipping (put apparently everyone at the road shows had one), the next version is likely to be annonce in 2006.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Felipe:

The GSM model of the 600 model was very slow to show up, and the Verizon release is only a few months old, but the T650 was still released about 1 year from the initial launch of the T600. I'd still bet we'll see a T7XX next fall, ASSUMING Palmsource can release a workable Cobalt OS for smartphones by then. Otherwise, all these wild rumors of a M$oft Treo would delay things well into 2006.

Besides, as one commentator wrote the other day, with the competition still not fully up to the design standards of the Treo 600, what's the hurry for PalmOne to release a Treo 650 successor anytime soon?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Long before a product is in production the next device(s) is being worked on - guaranteed.
    Not only is this correct, but I imagine a lot of the next device is already "written in stone", assuming P1 plans on releasing it late next year. I remember reading somewhere that due to FCC regulations and laws regarding cell phone technology, a company has to "lock in" to various features/technologies early. If it were a plain handheld, they could change things later in the development cycle. Throwing a phone into the mix requires commiting to certain aspects at an earlier stage.

We should probably be asking P1 to include features in the Treo two generations out and not the next gen.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    We should probably be asking P1 to include features in the Treo two generations out and not the next gen.
    Yup yup yup.