1.    #1  
    I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my TREO 600 that I bought from a private party. I am currently an AT&T wireless customer with the unlimited MMode $25 plan on my wireless contract. I would prefer a wireless data plan due to the fact that I have a large amount of Pop3 email and dont like the MMode setup that much. What is my best option for a data plan. Ireally dont want to shell out $49/month for AT&T's unlimited data. AM I better off with MMode? Should I find out about switching over to Cingular? DO they offer any all inclusive data plans? ANy info is appreciated.
    Last edited by hummerwagon; 11/29/2004 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling ;)
    You might look into Cingulars MEdia Works package. It's has unlimited wireless internet, 1500 SMS and 200 MMS for just $19.95/month.
  3.    #3  
    Is that $20 cingular plan similar to MMode or is it an actual data plan? I would be using my treo mainly for email and AIM.
    I'm not familiar with AT&T's MMode, so I can't make an accurate comparison. Cingular's MEdia Works plan is an add-on feature to my cellular plan. I use it for email, browsing the web, SMS and MMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by hummerwagon
    Is that $20 cingular plan similar to MMode or is it an actual data plan? I would be using my treo mainly for email and AIM.
    MMode is ATT Wireless marketing hype for GPRS. I believe there is an unlimeted data add on at ATT for $25.00. With a minimal voice plan you will pay about $45.00 per mo.

Cingular has a $20/mo media works package that is an add on to a basic voice package. MediaWorks has 1500 text messages, 200 media messages, and unlimited GPRS data each month.

If you do not want voice, then I believe Cingular has an unlimited data plan for $45/mo. At this price, it is better to get minimal voice plus media works.

If you move to TMobile, then they have an unlimited data plan for $30/mo. If you need voice, you pay by the minute. If you get a minimal voice plan, you can usually get unlimited data for $20/mo. In the past there were first free, then $5/mo add on plans, but TMobile has slowly limited their features or availability to the point that $20/mo is the only reliable option at TMobile.
  6.    #6  
    i would definetly need a voice plan too. I cant really switch to tmobile. I have about a year left on my plan. I think since Cingular and AT&T merged I am allowed to switch to Cingular. I have to call and find out for sure. The only unlimited data plan I see that AT&T has is $50/month. A little more than I want to spend. I just dont quite understand the Media Works package.
  7. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    What is wrong with the $24.99 unlimited MMode plan? Why pay $49.99 for the the unlimited PDA plan when you don't need to. The only difference is that ATT doesn't allow tethering your phone to a PC or PDA with the unlimited MMode plan (how they know you are doing it - I am not sure). I have had both plans and there is no difference in your service and how your phone accesses data. Unlimited data on both. Your phone does NOT use the crappy MMode sites. You browse through blazer (or whatever web browser you use). E-mail works the same.

Now if you wanted to save $5 you could go with Cingular but you would have to unlock your phone.

Now if you would like to pay an extra $25 bucks a month I will send you my address and you can mail the checks to me...
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Hmm, i guess no one's been watching the news...ATT IS Cingular now! so you don't have to choose between the two!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg
    Hmm, i guess no one's been watching the news...ATT IS Cingular now! so you don't have to choose between the two!
    Actually, you still do. They are being run as seperate companies with different plans and phones for the time being. The networks are merged though.
    Quote Originally Posted by hummerwagon
    i would definetly need a voice plan too. I cant really switch to tmobile. I have about a year left on my plan. I think since Cingular and AT&T merged I am allowed to switch to Cingular. I have to call and find out for sure. The only unlimited data plan I see that AT&T has is $50/month. A little more than I want to spend. I just dont quite understand the Media Works package.
    Mediaworks is a marketing name for a bundle containing unlimited GPRS data service (like MMode), 1500 text messages, and 200 photo/media messages for one price, $20.00. This is a better deal than MMode only because of the included text and photo messages and it is $5.00 less per month.

Concerning ATT, MMode is GPRS data.

Also there is a change over being offered to ATT customers. Check the new cingular web site and the att wireless web site.

Basically, if you change from a ATT plan to a Cingular plan, you get a new cingular plan, a cingular SIM, and if I remember correctly, a new compatible phone. While this is primarily designed for ATT GSM users with a 1900 mhz only phone, it should be applicable for any locked ATT phone. So, in theory, if you have a locked ATT phone, a Treo 600, Cingular should exchange it for a similar compatible phone. Since Cingular still sells the Treo 600 (Cingular branded, but unlocked) I would suggest that with a change to a Cingular Plan, if the Cingular SIM does not work in your ATT Treo 600, they should exchange it for a Cingular Treo 600. This is theory of course.