1.    #1  
    [First Treo Central post. I'm a long-time Palm OS user and am considering replacing my aging Sony SJ33 with the Treo 650.]

(1) Has anybody tried HBX (Hard Button Extender - http://www.ranosoft.net/hbx/) on the 650? Exactly what buttons can you remap with HBX?

(2) Does the Treo 650 support capitalization by holding down the letter longer, in the same way that the Tungsten C does?

(3) In another thread, bmacfarland wrote: "I like that I can launch some 50 apps fairly quickly. Also with the feature of being able to remap your letters you can still get your 3 step nirvana -- if you don't mind searching for the exact keyboard key and holding it a second. For instance, I mapped "C" to camera so now I just hit phone, center and C. I've got camera. Web will probably be "W" for me."

I don't see any mention of the ability to bind letters to applications in the User's Guide on the palmOne website. Can you please elaborate?

Thanks for any information,
    Jeff DLB
    Don't know about #1.

For #2 you want/need KeyCapsHack (or KeyCaps600, or whatever it's called). Not sure why this functionality still hasn't been built into the OS.

For #3, this is the "Favorites" functionality. You can assign numerous favorites to these "Favorites" pages and you can assign a specific letter/number to each one which allows you to press and hold the letter to launch the app. I believe that you can only do this from within the Phone app, though.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    1) Nope, I will look at it though.
    2) KeyCaps600 does that and I believe it is either Freeware or Shareware.
    3) When assigning favorites, you can specify a press and hold key on the keyboard to launch an app. I found two limitations though:
    a) Some favorites can't be changed (Call Log and Voice Mail).
    b) You can't assign a favorite to an app on the SD card.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you both for your replies. I find it strange that one must enter the Phone application to launch another application using Favorites, but I suppose I could get used to it.

Today as I was trying to drive while looking up a phone number in my keyboardless Palm and dialing it manually in my bluetoothless cell phone, I was further confirmed in my feeling that Treo 650 is the way to go. Waiting for Cingular...
    An app called 'Butler' allows you to launch your single-key designated favorite apps, from within ANY place in the device, not just while in Phone mode....search for Butler on palmgear or wherever...
    (it also does a bunch of other stuff as well that's pretty cool and useful)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB
    [First Treo Central post. I'm a long-time Palm OS user and am considering replacing my aging Sony SJ33 with the Treo 650.]

(1) Has anybody tried HBX (Hard Button Extender - http://www.ranosoft.net/hbx/) on the 650? Exactly what buttons can you remap with HBX?
    I'm using HBX successfully with the same setup as my T600: remapped 3 of 4 buttons, with the power button left alone. If you use this setup, make sure to check the "Auto-repeat" option on any unmapped button.

tdh
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood
    I'm using HBX successfully with the same setup as my T600
    Excellent -- thank you very much.