View Poll Results: Is the T650 keyboard better than the T600's?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely it's better

74 79.57%
  • Somewhat better

10 10.75%
  • About the same

3 3.23%
  • Somewhat worse

3 3.23%
  • Absolutely it's worse

3 3.23%
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    All,

After being a Treo 600 user for some time, I anxiously awaited the new 'updated' keyboard on the T650 to overcome some of the subtle issues on the T600's keyboard. I received my T650 a week and a half ago and reserved any sort of judgement until I had spent some time with it and got used to it.

Now I can say I'm used to it and don't like it.
    1. First off, they have gone from one extreme to the other in terms of keyboard backlighting. The T600 was too soft, the T650 is way over the top loud and is somewhat blinding while using it in the dark.
    2. Secondly, the key edges are too close together and way too difficult to discern between each key due to a flatter top. I find that I have to be more selective in pressing a key and this slows me down substantially. I've tried practicing hoping this would improve but to no avail.
    3. The keys are too soft. I found the T600 keys to be a little too solid but the T650 has gone off the other side and made them far too soft! In fact, just swiping the keys enters characters erroneously.
    4. Now this may be a defect on my personal unit but the keys on one portion of the board do not have a positive click. They feel mushy is the best way to describe it and it is difficult to know if you have positively pushed a button or not.

All in all, I'll be sticking with the T650 but my gripes about the keyboard will continue to stand. Anybody else agree?
    I've found the keybaord to be pratical to use, and have gotten used to it. I get positive tactile feedback on all of my keys with my unit.

It's no RIM keyboard though. Way back when I had a RIM 650, I could type FAST on that thing, just a little slower than I normally type on a full sized keyboard. But $40.00/month just to read my e-mail plus $5.00 a month to rent the unit wasn't worth the price and I dropepd service (I didn't buy outright because $499 for 2MB of memoery and a black and white tiny LCD screen was absurd to me). With this keyboard I find that I'm poking along, though it is faster than I coudl write with grafitti or grafitti2.
    I could not use the T600 because of the keyboard, keys were to small to see and use!! Some of us have "older eyes" and long nails!! LOVE the BACK LITE and Keys.
    they keyboard is awsome! and way better than the 600, for me
    the 650 keyboard is much better....
    While it is on the way too bright side, its defenately better!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg
    All,

After being a Treo 600 user for some time, I anxiously awaited the new 'updated' keyboard on the T650 to overcome some of the subtle issues on the T600's keyboard. I received my T650 a week and a half ago and reserved any sort of judgement until I had spent some time with it and got used to it.

Now I can say I'm used to it and don't like it.
    1. First off, they have gone from one extreme to the other in terms of keyboard backlighting. The T600 was too soft, the T650 is way over the top loud and is somewhat blinding while using it in the dark.
    2. Secondly, the key edges are too close together and way too difficult to discern between each key due to a flatter top. I find that I have to be more selective in pressing a key and this slows me down substantially. I've tried practicing hoping this would improve but to no avail.
    3. The keys are too soft. I found the T600 keys to be a little too solid but the T650 has gone off the other side and made them far too soft! In fact, just swiping the keys enters characters erroneously.
    4. Now this may be a defect on my personal unit but the keys on one portion of the board do not have a positive click. They feel mushy is the best way to describe it and it is difficult to know if you have positively pushed a button or not.

All in all, I'll be sticking with the T650 but my gripes about the keyboard will continue to stand. Anybody else agree?
    1) I've grown to like the feel of the 650's keyboard, maybe it doesn't have to be quite as soft, but it does feel better/easier then when I go back to my 600.

2) Yes the backlight is way of the top, it's distracting, it makes the screen look dim in comparison and it's kind of got a cheap look to it... It would be nice if someone could make a replacement keyboard where the keys have the same action, but are a tinted a little darker (I prefered the look of the Sprint Treo600 : )
    Glad to see I'm not crazy, even if we are in the minority, Matt. Take a look at this thread for more usability issues that are driving me crazy and making me think hard about switching back to a Treo 600. Man I love this gorgeous new screen and the improved camera, but the 600 just feels more comfortable and usable to me overall.

So how is it that some people love the feel of the new keyboard and a few others (myself included) feel that it's definitely worse than the 600's? I was typing a reply to a forum thread here at TC from my 650 today and I was making typos left and right. Now, I was no fan of the 600's keyboard, but it's noticeably better for me.

FWIW, I have long fingers, though I wouldn't necessarily consider my fingers (and fingertips) to be "fat." However, I would think that fat fingers should have just as much trouble as I have, if not more, because the big problem is that I'm accidentally pressing nearby keys. The supposed "artificial intelligence" that the Treo has to know if I've made a typo doesn't seem to be doing its job, either.

Matt, I'd be interested to hear what you, and others, think of the D-Pad as well. That, too, felt much better on the 600, IMO.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott R; 11/29/2004 at 08:39 PM.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I just sent one back for a replacement due to a keyboard problem. It was as you described a mushy key, had to press harder to get it to work. Your's sounds worse. Otherwise, I like the keyboard. A big change from emailing and two way messaging from a nextel # pad. I wouldn't own one of these without the equipment replacement plan
    DJ
    i love the new keyboard. however, a hack is desparately needed to add the ability to either make the keyboard backlight dimmable (that'd be awesome, but i suspect it's impossible) or to be able to turn it off.

at first i thought they'd simply moved the TFT backlight to the bottom of the screen and 'opened it up' so it sent light south as well as north. but if you watch carefully, when you turn the treo off, the keyboard light goes out a tiny fraction of a second after the screen.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Unquestionably, the new keyboard. I nearly had callouses from the old one. I'm typing at least 50% faster on the 650, and I can see in retrospect that I was unconsciously editing the emails I composed to reduce typing on the 600. I sort of agree about the D-pad: the vertical radius from the center button seems a tad too short, and the center button should be inset a little deeper, but it's a minor issue that I'm getting used to.

I thought the constant backlight would annoy me, but since it matched the screen at full brightness (where I always keep it), I'm fine with it. I hated the fact that the 600's backlight would drop time out just when I was "getting warm" on the keyboard. I would agree that there's probably an ideal middle ground between the 600 and 650 backlight settings, but for now I'm just glad to not ever worry about not seeing the keyboard.
    better typing, too bright... I am an avid eReader fan... and at night my whole bedroom is aglow with the cheery xmas llights of my keyboard... my 600 was nice, I could turn down the screen to under 1/3 and turn off the keyboard and read with very little light shooting into my eyeballs... I also use a color-scheme with lightblue text on black to further reduce the ambient light SHOOTING INTO MY EYEBALLS... I need some sleep.

but the 320x320 makes eyestrain much less of a problem
    Last edited by mattTarr; 11/29/2004 at 11:41 PM. Reason: oops
    The keyboard is totally good. When compared to the 600's keyobard.
    I couldnt ask for more.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Well, turns out I exchanged my phone with PalmOne as my slight defect was problematic. The new one had a much tighter feel to it and now the button presses are very accurate. I wouldn't say that I'm head over heels with the new keyboard but at lease this replacement is an improvement over what was my defective original....