Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I just got my new 650 and everything is fine except the infrared port seems to be dead. doesn't send or receive anything. I've tried it both with pc and another treo 600
    is anyone else have the same problem or am i doing something wrong ? should i ask for a replacement ?
    Did you enable Beam Receive? It's under Preferences, Power in the Prefs app.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Yes, beam receive is enabled. I played with it some more and found that it can send files ok, but won't receive. The stupid work around is that it will only receive if i tell it to send something at the same time. then suddenly it sees that someone is sending file and receives it. i did few resets, but the problem is still there. Is it working normal for the rest of you ?
    I noticed that it is very hard to get the Treo 650 to recognize that something is being beamed to it. It took me several minutes to get it lined up properly with my Treo 600 to receive a few files. Once the handshake occurred, the files transferred with no problem.

I never had any difficulty receiving files on my Treo 600 . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    I noticed that it is very hard to get the Treo 650 to recognize that something is being beamed to it. It took me several minutes to get it lined up properly with my Treo 600 to receive a few files. Once the handshake occurred, the files transferred with no problem.

I never had any difficulty receiving files on my Treo 600 . . . .
    same problem here.

But I have read elsewhere in TC forums that there is a particular problem with beaming from a Treo600 to a Treo650.
    Are all your 650 user names larger than 10 characters? If so this has been discussed in great detail and is listed on P1's support site.

The IR hardware itself is fine.
    Are your hotsynch ids over 10 characters long? Mine was and once I changed it to a new hotsynch id under 10 characters it beams like the sun!

It was a little bit of a drag having to contact all the 3rd party developers to change my hotsynch id with their products, but EVERYONE waqs awesome about helping me.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Are all your 650 user names larger than 10 characters? If so this has been discussed in great detail and is listed on P1's support site.

The IR hardware itself is fine.
    Are you kidding?!?!? The # of characters in the hotsync id determines how well the infared port works?? That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard.
    Not that I don't believe you, but it seems odd considering it was never an issue with the 600.

Here's the link that sxtg was referring to.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=31578
    Last edited by dwman; 11/29/2004 at 07:37 PM.
    thanks for the reminder. That is my problem, but I haven't been able to test the problem by sending from another device with and ID shorter than 10 chars.
    The 650 only has problems receiving from the 600 (and only if the 650 ID is >10 characters) It will receive from all other devices regardless of the Hotsync ID length. I have tested this with a M515 and a Zire 72 both were able to beam to me just fine. This tells me that the issue is more a 600 issue than it is a 650 issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    Are you kidding?!?!? The # of characters in the hotsync id determines how well the infared port works?? That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard.
    At a company I used to consult with much of the programming was "off-shored" to India - the Indian programmers were all DYNAMITE as far as educational background - highly educated (some with graduate degrees), engineering curriculum, top of the class, etc. Very very good prospects.

And ALL of them had less than 5 years Real World programming work experience.

They simply hadn't seen and/or written enough programs to know what they were doing.

So they wrote crap. Very inefficient, very "hardwired-to-the-problem-at-hand" styles (e.g., hardwired constants deep in the code, etc), sometimes just incorrect algorithms (like a nonrecursive tree-handler that didn't...well...handle trees right!), and, of course, supervision was remote.

PalmOne outsources everything INCLUDING programming - it would not be surprising that they had a team of DYNAMITE educational-background programmers with no experience programming the TREO 650 comm software.

With the to-be-expected results.
    leonidm, thanks for the tip (it will only receive if i tell it to send something at the same time).
    I tried this and it worked. Fortunately I only had 3 memos to transfer from the 600 to 650 and don't see a need to do any more in the future.
    This limit to the # of characters in a User Name/Owner is pretty funky. What good reason exists for implementing/overlooking something like this? Gah!!!
    Thanks Again.
    Can someone tell me how to change my hotsync ID to something less than 10 characters?

Also, the link to palmone's site above is dead. Is there a new one for this issue?
    My hotsync ID is about 20 characters and I have never had problems with the IR.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by BP57
    Can someone tell me how to change my hotsync ID to something less than 10 characters?

Also, the link to palmone's site above is dead. Is there a new one for this issue?
    palm desktop -> edit users -> rename
    Quote Originally Posted by BP57

Hello BP57,

Kevin from palmOne here. The link was correct, just not configured properly. Here are the details regarding changing the user name: Issues beaming from a Treo 600 to Treo 650

Sincerely
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    PalmOne outsources everything INCLUDING programming - it would not be surprising that they had a team of DYNAMITE educational-background programmers with no experience programming the TREO 650 comm software.
    Wrong, try again. According to their last earnings call they have a large and rapidly growing in-house software engineering department.
    Sorry to dredge up this old thread again, but has anyone found a work around to force the Treo 650 to send the initial IR signal.

On my laptop, the IR sensor does not detect my Treo650. I do not think the Treo650, send the initial IR burst to let my Tecra 9000 find a signal. And yes: I do have Beam Receive set to On, I have tried it from the All Apps section of the palm device, my username is less than 10 chars.

Any ideas?
    Dave

P.S. I have also tried: soft reset, hard reset, hotsync and reset.
    Last edited by NMprofessional; 07/08/2005 at 09:46 AM.