1.    #1  
    Is it possible, and how is this done?
    Not possible, you're stuck with it. Enjoy.
    About all you can do is get a launcher app like Launcher X and put it in a hidden group so at least you don't have to stare at it.
    It's in ROM, not RAM so it's not wasting memory.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    It's in ROM, not RAM so it's not wasting memory.
    except that if it wasn't in ROM they could have used that memory for RAM?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    No, ROM is entirely different chip than the RAM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    No, ROM is entirely different chip than the RAM.
    Yes, but it is necessary to move it into RAM. The ROM image cannot be accesed directly from NAND. Therefore, the RealPlayer IS TRULY a waste of space.

This swapping is probably also what is causing such a slow-down when dialing and stuff; it has to swap such large portions for searching and dialing.

Palm... what a bunch of idiots.

We would probably never have this problem if they weren't catering to the world of Microsoft.
    It only goes into RAM when you're actually using it.
    Who says it has to be copied to RAM to be run? The whole OS and all PIM apps run from ROM. They always did. They come up too quickly for being copied around. Do you have any solid information to the contrary?
    I should have clarified -- it goes into the 10 mb ram area for operating programs; it does not go into the 23 mb for storing programs -- correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodgins
    I should have clarified -- it goes into the 10 mb ram area for operating programs; it does not go into the 23 mb for storing programs -- correct?
    Not really. Programs in ROM run from ROM.
    try shadowmite.com He has made several patch fixes for the 650 ROM, including some that do not include the RealPlayer app.

Terry
    Yea I can't stand that real player eather We should be able to dump apps of we want to
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    We would probably never have this problem if they weren't catering to the world of Microsoft.
    Catering to Microsoft? Isn't Real one of Microsoft's biggest competitors? I think they even sued MS at one point.

If they were catering to Microsoft, they would have burned Windows Media Player into ROM, not RealPlayer.