Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok I can't guarantee this will work but it has in the last few cases. The last problem i had was whenenver I would try to send a picture it would reboot my dang phone. I tried running ##err# to see what the offending app was and no luck in finding the culprit. The way that I fixed it and many other times I had random crashes (short of hard reset)was........................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ... DELETE UNSAVED PREFERENCES. It has worked everytime! I'm not sure how much inconsequential info you lose but I assure you it is worth it. Try it out & report back your findings!
    Last edited by treoneo; 11/29/2004 at 02:57 PM.
    How excatly does one do this?
  3.    #3  
    oh sorry. you need to have "filez" program (attached). then select "internal" and scroll down to unsaved preferences. delete & you're good to go!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Ok I can't guarantee this will work but it has in the last few cases. The last problem i had was whenenver I would try to send a picture it would reboot my dang phone. I tried running ##err# to see what the offending app was and no luck in finding the culprit. The way that I fixed it and many other times I had random crashes (short of hard reset)was........................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ... DELETE UNSAVED PREFERENCES. It has worked everytime! I'm not sure how much inconsequential info you lose but I assure you it is worth it. Try it out & report back your findings!
    Not sure if it will affect the 650 the same way but when I did this on my 600 I was no longer able to download new ringers from the midi database. I could not beam them out either. This issue seemed to only affect the MIDI database.

FWIW

JustMike
    CAREFUL! Unsaved Preferences is a general database on PalmOS that can be used by applications for preferences that are device-local (e.g., not synced with the desktop). They could still be critical to the operation of some applications, though. Things like passwords can be stored here, for example.

I think you've found a symptom for your problem, not the true cure. It sounds like an application on your device is generating corrupt pref data in the Unsaved Preferences db and throwing the OS for a fit. The next question is which app, what conditions caused the corruption, and who can fix it. If it's one of the PIM apps or utilities shipped with the Treo, it might explain some of the reset issues people have reported here....
    It worked for me.

Good and bad... I didn't read the whole thread when I threw away my Unsaved Pref. I lucked out in the end because I did a soft reset afterwards, and everything works perfectly now.

Thanks for the tip.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Ok, Hotsync afterwards would reinstall all the old apps in your backup folder after I removed UnsavedPreferences.pdb. It then started to reset itself again.

So I did the following steps:
    1) Removed UnsavedPreferences.pdb
    2) Reset
    3) On Mac, remove all the applications that I no longer use from the "Backup" folder (i.e. VeriChat, Casserie, ChatterEmail).
    4) HotSync - It will reinstall all the backup applications again since the UnsavedPreferences.pdb is gone. (don't know why)
    5) Reset

Everything works perfectly!

-TJ
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    I did this and my phone reset. I tried a manual reset after that and it unregistered some of my applications: snappermail, madden, etc. Had to restore unsaved and saved preference back from backupman to reregister my apps.

I think my resets are caused by Uninstall. I disabled it and so far no resets.
    uninstall is causing resets on my device too.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Sorry, what do you mean by "disable uninstall"?
    "uninstall" is a 3rd party app.
    I usually use Zlauncer to delete the prefs only for the App thats having problems. Works wonders in most cases. Most recent issue was with WorldClock. When I try to select a different city as my home location, the 650 would reset. After a few attempts, I went and deleted just the prefs for World clock and now it works just fine again. I would avoid deleting the ENTIRE saved prefs file as that may have negitive effects on apps that are currently working among other things.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Deleting Unsaved Prefs removes the link to your desktop computer... delete Saved Prefs... much more effective and less destructive.
  14.    #14  
    woahhhh. dleteing saved prefs as opposed to unsaved is a bad idea. there are much more apps that are registered under the saved prefs!!
    Absolutely, but my preference is to re-enter my serial numbers rather than let every conduit (including the restore one) think my device was hard reset.

ADDED: Also, I consider removing the prefs of an application one of the 1st troubleshooting steps. I've done it enough times that it takes me about 5-10 minutes to run through my apps resetting serials and key settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    I usually use Zlauncer to delete the prefs only for the App thats having problems. Works wonders in most cases. Most recent issue was with WorldClock. When I try to select a different city as my home location, the 650 would reset. After a few attempts, I went and deleted just the prefs for World clock and now it works just fine again. I would avoid deleting the ENTIRE saved prefs file as that may have negitive effects on apps that are currently working among other things.

-X
    Hmmmm all my resets started after I touched the World CLock app after months of NO ISSUES! Maybe this app is the culprit?

I do not have zlanucher - is there another way to remove just prefs for World CLock? Or better yet it as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by robotron
    Hmmmm all my resets started after I touched the World CLock app after months of NO ISSUES! Maybe this app is the culprit?
    I, too, have had trouble from time to time that exiting World Clock would cause a reset....

I tried deleting WorldClock's prefs (2 instances of creator code PcLK) without success... I also tried deleting some other prefs but eventually conceded to removing Saved Preferences, which did fix it, so it must be SOME entry in Saved Preferences....
    Warning!!!! If you delete Unsaved Preferences your Treo will loose its HotSync ID!!! This will cause the majority of your registered applications to no longer be registered until you restore your HotSync ID again.

Jeff
    Yup, you will lose some of you registered app codes and etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yup, you will lose some of you registered app codes and etc...
    You actually don't loose the codes. What happens its that for *some* reason Palm decided to keep the Palm's HotSync name in the Unsaved Preferences database. Don't ask me why since the definition of Unsaved Preferences is that this file is never backed up by HotSync. But anyway..... When an application asks the operating system for its HotSync name so it can decode the name to verify the license key, it gets back a NULL string. This causes the appliction to say, you are not licensed for this software. But as soon as you restore your HotSync name in the Unsaved Preferences file, your applications should once again be happy.

That's not to say that some developers don't save license key information in Unsaved Preferences, but that is definitely not the normal place to save this information if for no other reason than this file by default is not saved during a hotsync. Most developers don't want a large number of support calls requesting replacement license keys.

Jeff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast