Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    ..I have guarantedd fix!!...Ok I can't guarantee this will work...
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    instead of deleting unsaved pref, use filez 6.6 to view and edit unsaved and saved pref. Using files sort all files by creator ID, then click on unsaved pref and view it contents, delete orphan enteries, these are enteries for files that you've uninstalled but their enteries were left behind. repeat the same process for saved pref. Using this method I have *eliminated* unexplained crashes.
    Treoing & Loving it
    How do I know which are orphan? Other than long manual way of write down all creator IDs in saved and unsaved prefs. Then compare that list with creator IDs of currently installed apps. Then goin back and selectively deleting the entries with Creator IDs for apps I no longer have installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    I, too, have had trouble from time to time that exiting World Clock would cause a reset....

I tried deleting WorldClock's prefs (2 instances of creator code PcLK) without success... I also tried deleting some other prefs but eventually conceded to removing Saved Preferences, which did fix it, so it must be SOME entry in Saved Preferences....
    Jaydisc - thanks - so did deleting the saved preferences file stop all the soft resets - I am getting them like every 15 minutes now! To make sure I do this right:

1) Get latest Filez - 6.6 is out

2) First try - USe FileZView Preferences to locate delete the two entries for PcLKLocate

3) If that fails delete the entire Saved Preferences file.

4) Does this mean I lose all preferences for all apps - sorry if dumb question but I have not hacked much on this device

After I delete the file on the Treo do I do a soft reset? A hard reset? A hotsync?

If someone could explain what happens if I blow away the whole file and what steps to take after I do that would be cool.

There are so many threads on this reset issue - seems we may be honing in on the root cause...Is the issue that the copy on the Treo is corrupted?

LATEST UPDATE: I deleted various entries in the Saved Prefs related to World CLock, Calendar and Contacts and did not sync or reset. No resets for almost 3 hours now - a record!!

Question - if I sync will my bad saved prefs come back?
    Last edited by robotron; 03/07/2005 at 11:43 AM.
    To continue - I deleted various entries in the Saved Prefs related to World CLock, Calendar and Contacts and did not sync or reset. No resets for almost 3 hours.

Then I had a reset acter 3.5 hours - and I can now see a new saved pref entry for PcLK at the bottom of the prefs list in Filez. So these are definitely related IMHO. The error message from the ##377# is not about datamgr.x though - it was:

MemoryMgr.c
    Line:3721,NULL handle

I am speculating that some clock related activity tried to work and could not find its entry in Saved Prefs so putone there and caused the reset?

Thoughts?

If we can identify the base cause in terms of apps we can perhaps get a fix.

NEXT UPDATE: Another reset - this time datamgr.c - and the PcLK is back in prefs. I deleted it again..5 minutes later another reset and PcLK is back.

What exactly is PcLK - Palm CLock? I could not find any files with that owner. If we can figure out what triggers that Saved Pref entry we could maybe find the code that is triggering the reset?

I found this link - http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cod...unchClock.html

Anyone know how we can find what app is triggering this PcLK entry - seems to be the root...
    Last edited by robotron; 03/07/2005 at 02:07 PM.
    I was also too quick to try this solution without reading the whole thread. I was getting an occasional reset (1 per day). Now my Business Connection has lost all it's set up data. Tried to enter it again and it says I've already set it up, but doesn't show it to me. Try to check mail or exit the app, now getting reset constantly. Tried to reinstall - no go. Where to go from here??
    KitMoni
    Actually, the other day, my Treo got caught in an un-prompted reset loop that it ultimately solved for itself, by apparently deleting the Save Prefs pdb for itself!?!?!?

I first noticed, when my phone's ringers had reverted to the defaults.

I have re-setup all my e-mail accounts (including Exchange ActiveSync); but no other customizations yet.

So far, no resets since (4 days ago and counting).

Of course, the autosync stuff still doesn't work for squat...but, hey, so what...
    Problem fixed. Just had to do a more thorough uninstall (delete), restart, reinstall, restart, hot sync. Bunnies and sunshine now...
    KitMoni
    Quote Originally Posted by robotron
    Jaydisc - thanks - so did deleting the saved preferences file stop all the soft resets - I am getting them like every 15 minutes now! To make sure I do this right:

1) Get latest Filez - 6.6 is out

2) First try - USe FileZView Preferences to locate delete the two entries for PcLKLocate

3) If that fails delete the entire Saved Preferences file.

4) Does this mean I lose all preferences for all apps - sorry if dumb question but I have not hacked much on this device

After I delete the file on the Treo do I do a soft reset? A hard reset? A hotsync?

<snip>

Question - if I sync will my bad saved prefs come back?
    My 650 is currrently in a constant state of flux. There's a couple of fantastic threads with people discussing stable apps and their six favorite apps which have led me to do a lot of software experimentation... thus, I do still get a lot of resets... however, once I've stabilized my setup, I will be trashing my Saved Prefs so everything will be from a clean start.

Answer to question 4 (definitely NOT a dumb question): Yes, 99% of your apps will need to be re-serialized and have their settings re-set. However, many apps store settings and especially information in their own files. For example, SplashMoney... all of the accounts, payees, categories are in dedicated files and last through out a Saved Prefs deletion. However, the font size, serial number and currencies are stored in Saved Prefs... I've actually written them recommending the currencies be stored similarly to the rest, but I'm getting off topic... the short answer is: Most settings are lost, Most information/data is not. If it makes you feel better, rather than delete, move it to your SD card. Then, you can restore it if you're not happy.

Yes, I recommend soft-resetting the device after any Saved Prefs deletion or restoration. Same goes for deleting/restoring Unsaved Prefs... however I highlight again how much I think deleting Unsaved Prefs is a bad idea.

Now, if you sync, your old files will NOT come back UNLESS you have deleted your Unsaved Prefs. THEN... ALL OF YOUR CURRENT BACKUPS WILL WRITE OVER YOUR CURRENT DATA UNLESS YOU TAKE SPECIAL CARE TO AVOIDE THIS.
    Thanks jaydisc - I started another thread here
    as I think this PcLK preference is at the root.

I tried deleting all the PcLK entries, but one always comes back and the return always concides with a soft reset - like some process wants that entry and creating it or touching it causes the soft reset.

Googling PcLK I found this HW link
    that mentions PCLK and also Palm OS - maybe this is some HW component in the Treo that is the root of this?

Anyone want to dig into this - I am not sure where to go next...
    I'll respond in the other thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    instead of deleting unsaved pref, use filez 6.6 to view and edit unsaved and saved pref. Using files sort all files by creator ID, then click on unsaved pref and view it contents, delete orphan enteries, these are enteries for files that you've uninstalled but their enteries were left behind. repeat the same process for saved pref. Using this method I have *eliminated* unexplained crashes.
    Is there a list/database somewhere that references which creator ID(s) belong to which application?
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by crenshaw
    Is there a list/database somewhere that references which creator ID(s) belong to which application?

there are a few lists floating on the internet, the problem is that "palm" does not release the complete list to the general public. If you search the site there are a couple of threads on this
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    Anyone tried using resco explorer? The latest version has a tool to "repair assocations". It found 3 errors in my unsaved preferences file and deleted them, so far no soft resets since then (Saturday)...

Resco explorer allows you to view the saved and unsaved prefs files and view not just creatorIDs but also names of applications associated with each entry.
    Pilot Professional 1MB -> Palm III -> Palm 515 -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    oh sorry. you need to have "filez" program (attached). then select "internal" and scroll down to unsaved preferences. delete & you're good to go!

good to go? yes but for how long......by the way your post contradicts itself....
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    People - bite the bullet and just do a hard reset, rename your backup folder, hot-sync, and re-load your apps one by one (or a few at a time if you're confident they're benign). It worked like a gem for me and it's really the only true way to eliminate the random resets with certainty.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12