Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Yes, I know it's a new phone and I'm an early adopter, but this phone is toooo annoying to use as is.

    Main problems:

    1. Voice Quality on other end (multiple folks telling me Iím choppy).
    2. Business Connect (and other internet enabled apps) acting funky, i.e. will work for an hour then stop for three, then be fine for a day, but not working the next.
    3. Dialing Delay -- most annoying
    4. Changed some basic functionality of the 5way Nav esp. in the phone app (I'm sure I'd get used to that, but based on the other problems, I figured I'd mention it).
    5. Dead pixel in an otherwise nice display
    6. memory issue
    7. none of my treo 600 accessories will work. (had the phone worked perfectly I could live with that)

    The bottom line is I think they were rushing the product for the Holidays, and itís just not fully cooked. I'll go back to my 600, thank you.

    I did like the keyboard much more, but it's not enough to outweigh the problems.
  2. #2  
    Did you just sync the 600 apps over to the 650 or start fresh?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by techesq
    Yes, I know it's a new phone and I'm an early adopter, but this phone is toooo annoying to use as is.

    Main problems:

    1. Voice Quality on other end (multiple folks telling me Iím choppy).
    2. Business Connect (and other internet enabled apps) acting funky, i.e. will work for an hour then stop for three, then be fine for a day, but not working the next.
    3. Dialing Delay -- most annoying
    4. Changed some basic functionality of the 5way Nav esp. in the phone app (I'm sure I'd get used to that, but based on the other problems, I figured I'd mention it).
    5. Dead pixel in an otherwise nice display
    6. memory issue
    7. none of my treo 600 accessories will work. (had the phone worked perfectly I could live with that)

    The bottom line is I think they were rushing the product for the Holidays, and itís just not fully cooked. I'll go back to my 600, thank you.

    I did like the keyboard much more, but it's not enough to outweigh the problems.

    First post and its negative about the 650. Hardly a new trend.
    Specifically your points.
    1. maybe a bad unit, replace it.
    2. I Dont use BC and the rest of that it too vague
    3. abit annoying yes
    4. specifics. I can think of the changed focus in the call log.
    5. they will replace it for this.
    6. hasnt bothered me yet but i am sure it will after a bit
    7. no one ever said they would. If you ever spent any time here you would have known that. Also you could have asked before you bought.

    I still have my 600 and cant even stand to look at the screen. No way I could go back now.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    First post and its negative about the 650. Hardly a new trend.
    Specifically your points.
    1. maybe a bad unit, replace it.
    2. I Dont use BC and the rest of that it too vague
    3. abit annoying yes
    4. specifics. I can think of the changed focus in the call log.
    5. they will replace it for this.
    6. hasnt bothered me yet but i am sure it will after a bit
    7. no one ever said they would. If you ever spent any time here you would have known that. Also you could have asked before you bought.

    I still have my 600 and cant even stand to look at the screen. No way I could go back now.

    At least hes staying with the treo line
  5. #5  
    But there are so many pros that outweigh the cons though.
  6. #6  
    I can't believe that P1 has such amateurs working for them that they didn't know of the gravity of problems the phone has. I love my treo 600 and was so looking forward to getting a 650. all of the problems have ruined it for me. P1 needs to hire some real world testers and fire their incompetent development team
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by finkkatz
    I can't believe that P1 has such amateurs working for them that they didn't know of the gravity of problems the phone has. I love my treo 600 and was so looking forward to getting a 650. all of the problems have ruined it for me. P1 needs to hire some real world testers and fire their incompetent development team
    "Fire the development team?" The "gravity of problems" with the phone? Fire the same team that got one million Treo 600's sold? They must surely be an awful bunch of idiots

    Quite frankly, I'm getting sick of the over-reaction abouth the 650. The only real problem the phone has (and for many, its not even a problem) is the memory issue. Another might be the voice quality, but that is most likely a noise cancellation bug that can be improved upon and, as with the memory issue, isn't a problem for everyone. Once I found out about the "tran" database type bug with some applications, the phone has been rock solid. Other problems can be traced to defective units (QC continues to be a Treo problem). But overall, once you get some experience with it, the phone is about as stable as any other PDA phone I've had (and I have had a lot of them, both Palm and PPC).

    However, as usual with the tech geek crowd, over-reaction, impatience and the demand for instant satisfaction are the norm. Patience within this group is zero. It's so predictable that it's almost like a software program:

    :New Phone Loop

    "Where's my phone?" "Why aren't they shipping yet?" "What's taking them so long?" Idiots! How could they be some incompetent?" "I ordered ten phones from ten different places so I'll get mine instantly!" "Ship it NOW and fix the bugs as you go!" "They finally shipped, woohoo!" "What? The phone isn't perfect? Those idiots!" "They should have delayed it to fix the problems! How could they be so incompetent?"

    Goto New Phone Loop

    In fact, when it comes to whining, based on forums for other phones, apparently there hasn't been a decent phone released in the last five years because all anyone ever does is complain how awful they all are. Yet they can't wait for the next new announcement so they can get ready and start complaining about that one too.
  8. #8  
    Unless he's posting under a new name, we can't say that Techesq was one of those playing Dale's "phone loop", now can we?

    I think it would be reasonable for Techesq to request a replacement. Apparently he is having issues others are not, and a faulty device could be at, ummmmm, well, fault. Give it another try. However, there are a significant number of posts that note similar problems.

    It would be really interesting for someone (I don't have time, and there are those who might not trust me anyway ) to go back and see if the "whiners" are really those who were stomping their feet and jumping up and down demanding early release of the 650.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  9. #9  
    The only real problem the phone has (and for many, its not even a problem) is the memory issue.
    Not to nit a pick but there are sufficient posts about other apparently real problems - nee the keyboard issues - that saying the "memory issue" is it is...well...simply incorrect.

    (though I see even you started mentioning other problems after making the above statement!)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Unless he's posting under a new name, we can't say that Techesq was one of those playing Dale's "phone loop", now can we?

    I think it would be reasonable for Techesq to request a replacement. Apparently he is having issues others are not, and a faulty device could be at, ummmmm, well, fault. Give it another try. However, there are a significant number of posts that note similar problems.

    It would be really interesting for someone (I don't have time, and there are those who might not trust me anyway ) to go back and see if the "whiners" are really those who were stomping their feet and jumping up and down demanding early release of the 650.
    And he is right for returning it if it doesn't meet his needs. Return it and move on. He did no come here and whine about it every chance he gets. He posted. made his peace and it returning it on and moving on. I have no problems with that at all. I've made my own fair number of gadget returns in the past.

    I don't know how many feet stompers became whiners. But I'm willling to bet that there are a few
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Not to nit a pick but there are sufficient posts about other apparently real problems - nee the keyboard issues - that saying the "memory issue" is it is...well...simply incorrect.

    (though I see even you started mentioning other problems after making the above statement!)
    I can only judge on my own experience with the phone. While the memory issue doesn't really affect me, I can see how it might affect some users. Also, my limited use of the phone hasn't exposed any real voice quality problems but I am always on the lookout for it.

    However, just because I recognize some problems with the phone doesn't mean I'm declaring it a failure as so many here are (including a number who don't even own the phone). If you have the patience to truly learn about your new gadget, the experience with the 650 can be very pleasant.

    For instance, I as having the looping reset problem. Plus, other apps would crash for little reason. I was this close to returning it, seriously. But after a little research, I discovered that apps that use the tran database type (like Ultrasoft Money that I was installing) were the culprit. Since removing that one app, I have not had an unscheduled reset or crash since. It's like night and day now. All because I had a little patience. But as I said, patience is zero around here.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by techesq
    Yes, I know it's a new phone and I'm an early adopter, but this phone is toooo annoying to use as is.

    Main problems:

    1. Voice Quality on other end (multiple folks telling me Iím choppy).
    2. Business Connect (and other internet enabled apps) acting funky, i.e. will work for an hour then stop for three, then be fine for a day, but not working the next.
    3. Dialing Delay -- most annoying
    4. Changed some basic functionality of the 5way Nav esp. in the phone app (I'm sure I'd get used to that, but based on the other problems, I figured I'd mention it).
    5. Dead pixel in an otherwise nice display
    6. memory issue
    7. none of my treo 600 accessories will work. (had the phone worked perfectly I could live with that)

    The bottom line is I think they were rushing the product for the Holidays, and itís just not fully cooked. I'll go back to my 600, thank you.

    I did like the keyboard much more, but it's not enough to outweigh the problems.

    Dale, he is not saying it doesn't "meet his needs", he is saying it is defective. Hence my suggestion that he try another one.

    I won't get as personal here as many others got with me, and eventually I got with one of them. No name calling. No looking up your blog (or kilt or skirt ). Basically, the "whiners" are not hurting anyone but themselves. If we/they make utter fools of ourselves, that's our problem. The barrage of negative messages here certainly was noticed by PalmOne, and I believe played a large part in eliciting their promise to fix the memory situation. If they had indeed laughed at us, well, that would be everyone's loss.

    Vladimir Zworkin, the inventor of the television, once said that his favorite control on his TV was the "off switch".
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    "Fire the development team?" The "gravity of problems" with the phone? Fire the same team that got one million Treo 600's sold? They must surely be an awful bunch of idiots

    Quite frankly, I'm getting sick of the over-reaction abouth the 650. The only real problem the phone has (and for many, its not even a problem) is the memory issue. Another might be the voice quality, but that is most likely a noise cancellation bug that can be improved upon and, as with the memory issue, isn't a problem for everyone. Once I found out about the "tran" database type bug with some applications, the phone has been rock solid. Other problems can be traced to defective units (QC continues to be a Treo problem). But overall, once you get some experience with it, the phone is about as stable as any other PDA phone I've had (and I have had a lot of them, both Palm and PPC).

    However, as usual with the tech geek crowd, over-reaction, impatience and the demand for instant satisfaction are the norm. Patience within this group is zero. It's so predictable that it's almost like a software program:

    :New Phone Loop

    "Where's my phone?" "Why aren't they shipping yet?" "What's taking them so long?" Idiots! How could they be some incompetent?" "I ordered ten phones from ten different places so I'll get mine instantly!" "Ship it NOW and fix the bugs as you go!" "They finally shipped, woohoo!" "What? The phone isn't perfect? Those idiots!" "They should have delayed it to fix the problems! How could they be so incompetent?"

    Goto New Phone Loop

    In fact, when it comes to whining, based on forums for other phones, apparently there hasn't been a decent phone released in the last five years because all anyone ever does is complain how awful they all are. Yet they can't wait for the next new announcement so they can get ready and start complaining about that one too.
    It's probably pointless to debate this issue with the Treo650 apologists. It seems that there's a group out there that will praise P1 from the highest mountaintops even when they deserve to be criticized. Also Dale, you seem to credit P1 for the invention of the 600. We all know though that the 600 is a Handspring, not P1 invention. I think P1 is not as good at design and programming as Handspring was. P1 seem to pride themselves on being followers (albeit followers that improve upon existing products), not leaders. Handspring was just the opposite.

    They may have taken some of the programmers over with the merger, but clearly the T650 is a P1 creation. I still say the development team and management team that decided to forgo a $6.00 RAM upgrade and force us all to deal with these memory utilization problems needs to say goodbye.

    Just because P1 inherited a phenomenal phone in the T600, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't continue to expect the best in subsequent upgrades. P1 dropped the ball here, and we should all not be afraid to say it. If we call enough attention to the mistakes made here (as we as a community have been doing), then we can probably look forward to great Treos down the line. Similarly, if we praise a faulty product, we can expect more of the same.

    For the record, I'm keeping my 650 and I'm hoping that P1 releases some patches to fix the existing problems (e.g. memory, soft resetting, bluetooth anomolies). The screen is great, the keyboard is slightly improved, and I appreciate the bluetooth, although it needs to work better on the 650. I would never, though, recommend the T650 to anyone without cautioning them of the list of problems that the 650 has that the 600 doesn't.

Posting Permissions