Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This freaking phone is actually 100% normal, it makes and receives calls just fine holds all my files with get this with friggin 14.3mb free left on the unit. My D-pad works as intended, it doesnt hard loop everyday and was painless to setup...arggggg How could palm design such a machine that would work like this? I have no dead pixels, a hotsync cable that plugs tightly, no memory issues and a stupid gorgeous 320x320 screen that looks awesome. My god I'm ticked off I wanna just hug it and show it off to everyone that walks by....

Just a little light humor folks, sometimes it gets dreary reading lots of people harping on it. Mine does work perfectly btw and I don't fret one minute upgrading... now switching back to sprint that I do regret but hey it's the price you pay...

TS
    luving my T650
    <rant>

When you are a member of a message board community focused on a certain product, you are seeing usually way less than half the sentiment of the average consumer that purchased that product.

You are seeing bad reviews for the Treo 650 because the power user comes here, not your everyday person. This happens on a lot of message boards and makes people think twice about buying something because all the people on that board say negative things while the majority of the owners of the item are out there enjoying the he11 out of the product but instead, people who come here are witness to all the critics and power users and not the average person.

</rant>
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I agree completely with the last post (Slk24kgj). People complain when they have problems. They tend not to shout about how well a product is working properly because that is exactly what it is supposed to do, thus it would seem that the complaints outnumber the positive experiences. Most of the users here at Treo Central use their Treos differently than do most Treo owners, with a tendency to extract every single bit of potential from it. This makes them more likely to find fault than others.

That said, the Treo 650 does seem to have faults that should not exist in what is really a revised product.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosteve
    This freaking phone is actually 100% normal, it makes and receives calls just fine holds all my files with get this with friggin 14.3mb free left on the unit. My D-pad works as intended, it doesnt hard loop everyday and was painless to setup...arggggg How could palm design such a machine that would work like this? I have no dead pixels, a hotsync cable that plugs tightly, no memory issues and a stupid gorgeous 320x320 screen that looks awesome. My god I'm ticked off I wanna just hug it and show it off to everyone that walks by....

Just a little light humor folks, sometimes it gets dreary reading lots of people harping on it. Mine does work perfectly btw and I don't fret one minute upgrading... now switching back to sprint that I do regret but hey it's the price you pay...

TS
    luving my T650
    Stop whining and return the damn thing already. You have a 30-day return policy!!!! That's what I might do, since my Treo is showing the exact same behavior.
    you guys are uniformed. the treo 650 had failure rates as high as 20% for ALL users!!!
    I love my 650. It works perfectly. I have had no resets despite all of the third party SW on it. I have 8 Mb of space left so the memory thing is not bothering me at all. This does everything the 600 should have (for me) and I am very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    you guys are uniformed. the treo 650 had failure rates as high as 20% for ALL users!!!
    Only the military, police, firefighters, weird non-profit agencies, and catholic school kids are uniformed. That's way less than 20%. As far as the 650, I have no problems and really love the device with 0 (zero) failures, let alone 20%.
    Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by fmertz
    Only the military, police, firefighters, weird non-profit agencies, and catholic school kids are uniformed. That's way less than 20%. As far as the 650, I have no problems and really love the device with 0 (zero) failures, let alone 20%.
    Here is 1 military that is VERY informed AND uniformed AND very satisfied with his 650.

Eric
    oh i love my 650! the 600 was a huge let down is all. every time i went to sprint store to "warranty" my phone there was at least 5 people in line who had 3-5 replacements each. the techs there said that the majority of "issues" they dealt with was treo 600 defectsp-all day long, every day. no exaggeration. that was my experience at the store in LA on la cienega... anyway I digress :_)
    I have 2 T650 since last Tuesday.
    Have had 1 soft reset so far.
    I am new to the treo so started from scratch rather than updating rom my i500 palm files.
    So far other than minor issues I am more than satisfied with both phones.
    Have 1000 plus contacts and loads of docs w/docs to go and still have 12.3 of available memory on y main handset.
    Whereas I too have witnessed several issues with my new device, I too am amongst the mostly satisfied customers of this fine product. I shall soon post a thorough and realistic review of my experiences with the aformentioned gadget whence I have the time.

The memory issue remains the only dogged complaint that I hold toward Pa1mOne........
    I was large and in charge!
    Love my Treo 650. More on-board memory would be nice...but I'm not letting go of mine. No way!

Bluetooth capable...sweet screen...keyboard...woohoo!
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    I shall soon post a thorough and realistic review of my experiences with the aformentioned gadget whence I have the time.
    Ya gotta love this guy.. lol the aformentioned gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    uniformed? i haven't worn a uniform since my old days in the french foreign legion...

that said, i seem to have stabilized my treo, haven't had to hard reset in a couple of days now... got wireless sync going with a $10 bluetooth adapter, picked up a 512 meg card for $30 to hold all my pics and mp3's, and i also still have 14.3 meg free, which seems like plenty for my purposes...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Well, just a status report on my yet to be received GSM 650....dang thing has already reprogrammed my VCR, erased my Tivo, charged my electric razor and flushed my commode....what an "all-in-one" device this is going to be. Sheez imagine what it will do when I finally get it in the house!!
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    hey gacajun...my son is on a full scholarship (music) to LSU...Geaux Tigers....
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mixon
    hey gacajun...my son is on a full scholarship (music) to LSU...Geaux Tigers....
    Well hello dare and how ya'll are!! Good to know there are a few of us Cajuns out there...hope he does well at dat LUS!!
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    Whereas I too have witnessed several issues with my new device, I too am amongst the mostly satisfied customers of this fine product. I shall soon post a thorough and realistic review of my experiences with the aformentioned gadget whence I have the time.

The memory issue remains the only dogged complaint that I hold toward Pa1mOne........
    what manner of man is this? who swoons a gadget as it were as if it were a bedfellow? what manner of gentleman puts forth a fancy the likes of which have not been seen since the days of a one .. grover cleveland?
    tis a harbinger of deeds to come that harkens lengthy bagplayings as this manner of man bestows. a treo. my kingdom for... a treo.

lol. just kiddin around, grover. with the writing style you used above, i couldnt help but have a little fun with it.

carry on, old chap!
    great point aaron12... I was just about to post something to the effect that in my experience... the Palm OS is great BUT it takes a while to settle in... or 'stabalize' as you put it... So many POWER USERS are quick to install some DUN HACK and them complain about weird behavior... I love installing weird little freeware apps... but I am always on the lookout for strange behavior and also learning to play to the strengths of the tool... I have a few 'issues' with my t650 but I know that some of that is ME thinking I am still using my treo600... some of them are real and will be addressed

I mean I spent several weeks with ChatterMail doing horrible things not only to my handheld but to my business critical IMAP inbox... did that stop me... heck no... at this juncture this phone is a lifestyle consideration... at WORST it is an expensive mediocre phone, at best it is an invaluable tool that gives me an edge over people who aren't so "always connected"...

Want a bleeding edge weapon..? Sharp's Zaurus with a CDMA card... want "bizness reliability" get a BlackBerry... want a friggin phone that plays mp3s, DIVX and has a usable keyboard... oh and I read 4 or 5 novels a month on mine... I LOVE this thing... but it ain't perfect and neither am I... I am quite rudely using my Treo650 right now without so much as an eGrips for protection... and in cold dry NYC... these things are easy to drop...
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Stop whining and return the damn thing already. You have a 30-day return policy!!!! That's what I might do, since my Treo is showing the exact same behavior.
    Ya know I'm so ticked at this thing I might take that 30 warrantee return time and excercise my right to keep it!

Some interesting banter back and forth on this thread which was really meant to be nothing more than to do two things. One, lighten things up 1.1 notches and second, let some trollers know that this device is not as bad as so many people have been giving it credit for. I think the problems with it in my opinion are minor. Yes it would have been nice to have a unit with absolutely nothing to gripe about but that's life. If my primary concern was stability and familiarity I would have stayed with my Palm IIIx and the ol faithful green screen. I mean it had 8mb of ram and also heald everything I wanted at the time.

I think part of the problem and why there are so many nay sayer is that there was such a HUGE anticipation for the T650 and many many people where let down when they finally got it. Really think about when you finally opened it. Hmm it looks like my T600, feels like it and well kinda acts like it.... why did I just spent $450 again?

Without turning this in to another flame war good or bad to those out there considering it... it's a fine unit for 90%+ of the ppl out there. You know by your habits if you'll run in to problems simply by the way you use your current device. I do consider my self to be a power user I do everything from edit databases to remote connect with Palm VNC to using mnotes for my work on this thing among 1000 other things... it performs just fine for me. I just know my boundaries and I'm not trying to get this thing to iron my shirts every morning for work cause twice in the last 10 days it told me to shove it up my a$$ when I asked it to...

TS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast